2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Is there a more obvious jackass than someone who jumps onto the field during a sporting event? Some moron just did it in the 9th inning at Citi Field.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 pm

I assume someone has to be drunk beyond the ability to think clearly. As I understand it, the fines vary from city to city, but they're generally not insignificant . Plus there are court fees. It's not like getting a parking ticket.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am

MLB hitters explain why they can't just beat the shift

Thought this was fairly interesting. I liked Murphy's perspective on it. Specifically:

"When baseball started, they set players up in the positions they did because that's where they thought the ball was going to be hit. You had the first baseman and the third basemen at the corners, the middle infielders and three outfielders. There was no rule that you had to have five guys on the dirt, a catcher and three outfielders. They just set it up that way because they said, 'Hey, this is where we think we're going to hit the ball.' It's the same thing that's being done now.

I agree. Baseball should not put in rules to change the shift. It is what it is. Hitters will figure out how to deal with it or they won't.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 am

I looked this up in the rules when the shift first became an "issue". The current rule is pretty clear that (other than pitcher and catcher) defensive players can pretty much stand where they want.

5.02 Fielding Positions ...
(c) Except the pitcher and the catcher, any fielder may station himself anywhere in fair territory.

If they had computers in the 1800s to record and display the tendencies of hitters, the positions would probably not have been fixed for as long as they were.

----------------------------------

That said, there is a precedent in other sports to change the rules of defense to encourage more offense, which is apparently the preference of American sports fans. The NBA outlawed zone defense and the NFL outlawed covering receivers and tackling the QB.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:26 pm

If attendance continues to stay down, I think Manfred is going to do something to "fix" it. Rather than tinkering with the game on the field, I'd prefer they do something with the team parity. There are too many teams that just take a small profit and make zero effort to compete. The Padres have been awful, and irrelevant, for years. So have the Marlins. I think you need to give that ownership group a chance to see what they can do, but the Marlins have been a joke for a long time. And, MLB should force a sale of the Reds. Cincinatti fans have a long, proud tradition with the Reds. Their current state is inexcusable. They haven't been close to .500 since 2013 and have only won more than 70 games once since then.

And, as long as we are forcing the sale of franchises, how about we free the Mets from the Wilpons.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 am

sameoldlama wrote:Orioles are my second favorite team too - I'm a Diamondbacks fan (as long as they stay in first).

Good to see Schoop picking it up and even Chris Davis starting to show signs of life. Unfortunately the GM for the Orioles couldn't see this coming and held onto assets like Machado, Britton, Jones, Brach, O'Day, Trumbo for too long and will now see a diminished return for them. The GM shouldn't be allowed to even run a Fantasy League team with the bad deals they have made past two years.

Still hoping Jones finds his way to a contender - he deserves a better fate than this death march.

More importantly - by the time Christmas is over PSU will be about ready to open season and Saquon will be leading my Giants back to the top - and I can bet on it in a mere 10 minute drive from my house.

Come on dude, look on the bright side.

The Orioles are 39.5 games out of first place with roughly 70 games left to play.

They still have a chance.
41-33.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:55 pm

"World F--kin' Champions!!!!!"

Happy retirement Chase Utley (at the end of the season).

Chase Utley, you are the man!!!!! (The late, great Harry Kalas).
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:18 pm

I hope someone beans him, takes him for 3 months and he comes back for the last month of the season only to have his leg broken on a cheap slide on his first game back.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:01 pm

I hope he gets traded to the Phils and comes back to take out Rosario for the rest of his life!
Go Phils!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:47 am

That's his allure around here. He was a great player and a legendary Mets killer.
41-33.