2018 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Fri May 25, 2018 7:31 pm

I don't know the Mets situation at first base, but at this point in Ramirez's career it's pretty much that or the bench for NL teams. The Red Sox were using him there and as a DH. They originally tried him in LF, but that was a disaster.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Right now Adrian Gonzalez is starting at 1st. Ramirez may not be a upgrade but he's equally not a downgrade.

I'm hoping once Cespedes is off the DL they move Bruce to 1st and cut AGon.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri May 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Ramirez may not be a upgrade but he's equally not a downgrade.

I guess they would cost the same. Aren't the Braves paying Gonzalez's salary?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri May 25, 2018 9:59 pm

Yep. They are getting the better end of that deal, too.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 28, 2018 5:28 pm

After a quiet day of yard work, I came in for a cold one and checked the day's results. How do you give up a winning HR in the bottom of the 9th to a complete stiff like Charlie Friggin Culberson? If you're the closer, you pretty much have to kill yourself.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks for bringing that up. You want to come over and kick one of my dogs next?

As for Culberson, he hasn't hit a homerun in 2 years. He was due. As for the pitcher, it wasn't the Mets normal closer but Lugo had only given up 2 HRs prior to that one and thw last one was end of April. It happens.

Unfortunately, it's been happening frequently to the Mets.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 am

What the Diamondbacks are doing right now is not sustainable.

Apparently not. Talk about falling off a cliff. 20-8 in April followed by 6-18 in May. Ay carumba.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 29, 2018 10:04 am

Told ya

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 29, 2018 11:01 am

I am curious as to who the pirates fans on this board feel about Rizzo's slide yesterday. This link includes a video of the whole thing.

I don't know. I think it's clean but I can see it both ways. He actually slides into home, which you are allowed to do. He's trying to break up a double play, which you are allowed to do. The problem is Diaz isn't even looking when he gets hit but that is sort of part of the game.

Part of the problem, for me, is I'm not clear on what the rules even are anymore when it comes to sliding into home. I think that slide is legal if it happens at 2nd base which is why I think it should be legal here. He didn't run through Diaz, he just slid into him. And, the slide itself was clean. He actually slides into home and in the process he takes out the catcher. I can contrast that with Chase Utley in the 2015 NLDS taking out Ruben Tejada where Utley doesn't slide into the bag but flies over it and tackles Tejada. That's not what Rizzo does, though.

It's a tough one. I think the umpires got it right but I get why the Pirates were ticked off.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 29, 2018 11:20 am

He actually slides into home and in the process he takes out the catcher.

Actually no, he doesn't.

He had a clear path to the plate. He could have slid right over the heart of it without touching the catcher. He intentionally slid to the inside of the base path because that's where the catcher was. Then he reached out with his hand to touch the plate. His intention was obvious.

There isn't any rule that permits the runner to intentionally take out the fielder. Nor has there ever been. Historically it was just of the many fakakta "unwritten" rules of baseball. Umpires gave the runner the benefit of the doubt if they got a piece of the bag. But here, there was no doubt. There was zero reason to slide where he did, other than to take out the catcher.