2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:36 am

Opening Day is exactly 1 week from today. Spring is here, on the calendar at least. You'd never know it looking outside, though. But, time to kick off the in-season thread.

My annual attempt at pretending I know what I'm talking about, aka "my predictions".

NL East: Nationals
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers
Wildcards: Mets, Giants. I think both teams are going to have resurgent years.

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Twins (I think the Indians are going to take a big step back this year)
AL West: Astros
Wildcards: Red Sox, Angels

World Series: Mets vs. Angels (because why not?)

Other predictions:
1. The single season team home run record is 264. If this was still the steroid era I'd say the Yankees hit that by the All Star break. But, given that juicing is a tougher to get away with, I'm simply going to predict they get within 10 home runs of that.
2. The Marlins are going to win 50 games, max. That team is going to be really bad
3. Matt Harvey is going to win "Comeback Player of the Year" for the 2nd time, celebrates by going on a 3 day hooker and drinking binge that is live streamed the entire time, ends up in a car accident after stealing Scot Boras' Mercedes and driving it into his pool, rips all the tendons in his pitching arm and never pitches again.
4. Jake Arrieta finishes the year with 10 wins and an ERA well over 4.00
5. The Red Sox entire rotation fails to get past the 5th inning for an entire consecutive 30 day period
6. The Yankees average runs per a game will be higher than the 2017 football Giants points per game.
7. There will be at least 2 "snow outs" in April

That's all I got. Taking off the back end of next week and really need a break. Wednesday I'm doing a college tour with my oldest (Shippensburg U) and then Thursday I am meeting my friend at our traditional spot for our traditional watching of the first Mets game of the season. CAN NOT WAIT!
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:56 am

I am meeting my friend at our traditional spot for our traditional watching of the first Mets game of the season.

Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 am

Drat, I meant to add a prediction on that guy - that the train would be late again.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:01 am

If that guy were your opening day friend, I'd be impressed. That guy rocks. :lol:

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Saquon Barkley will go at a lower draft position than the Oriole's starting rotation's average ERA for season.

Penn State will rush for more yards in half their games than Chris Davis' BA for season

Penn State will hold 1/3 of opposing QBs under Chris Davis' season K total

The only people who will feel worse on the 2nd Saturday September than Pitt fans will be Oriole fans.

One D1 tea will score more points in the season than the Marlins score runs.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:12 am

I may have to change my prediction on the Giants getting a wild card spot. Bumgarner broke the pinky on his throwing hand yesterday on a combacker in his last spring training start. He's out a few weeks. And now Samardzija will start on the DL with a strained pectoral muscle. They could lose both of them for the month of April. That's a lot of games to lose stud pitchers and that is a tough division. That could cost them at the end of the year.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:36 am

People wager thousands based on your predictions and now you want a do-over? What kind of a hack operation is this?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Giants play the Dodgers 10 times in April. I'd day they have a problem. Hope you didn't bet more than you can afford to lose.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:54 am

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am

Yesterday I had to watch ESPN because they were broadcasting a Red Sox game (vs the Cubs). They had Mookie Betts mic'd up during the game. They were chatting with him between pitches. At one point, a deep line drive was hit to RF and as he turned you could hear him say "uh-oh" I ain't getting this one." Sweet Merciful Jeezus. Like there isn't enough blah-blah-blah-blah between pitches now.

Early returns indicate the Old Fart demographic (who doesn't matter) wasn't impressed, but the younger types were. So brace yourself. The future may be about to sit on your teeter-totter.