2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:11 pm

I predict this weekend is absolutely brutal.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 pm

On a positive note all the press from NYG's OTAs was Barkley was as advertised and then some. And only about 60 days until pre-season and 90 days until PSU kicks off.

This probably belongs in football thread but PSU will play for the NC within 5 years.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:39 pm

I can't recall the last time I was ready for football prior to July 4th.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:41 am

Apparently the Rockies and Reds did an homage to some of the great slapstick comedians. That's like right out of a Buster Keaton film.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:46 am

The Mets have deGrom starting against the Yankees tonight. He has allowed 1 run or fewer in each of his last 8 starts, tied with 8 others for the 3rd-longest such streak in a single season in MLB history. The Mets are 2-6 in those starts.

It's going to be a looooong weekend.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Blue&White wrote:I can't recall the last time I was ready for football prior to July 4th.

Last year?
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Last year?

Oh, that's right. How quickly I forget.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:59 pm

So, the Mets AA team was in Trenton this weekend and my friend and I went to watch this afternoon. We got to see their 2016 1st round pick, Justin Dunn, make his AA debut. His line on the day was 7IP, 2H, 4BB, 9K, 0R. So, that was enjoyable. We also got to see 2016 2nd round pick Peter Alonso take a few at bats. He was DHing so didn't get to see him at 1st. He went 1 for 5 but he's been tearing up that league so far this year. We also saw Tebow play left field and go 1 for 4 on the day.

I'll say this about Tebow - he looks comfortable out in left field and he has a good swing. He looked totally lost his first at bat and he got fooled on a few pitches, but he had 2 at bats when he looked locked in (one resulted in a hit). Having now had a chance to see him play, I think it's a shame he didn't stick with baseball because he looks like he could have been a player. But, his pitch recognition ability is pretty basic and he's just not going to progress enough to ever be a real major league player (I don't discount the possibility the Mets could call him up due to the freak show aspect of it).

Anyway, we bought tickets at the gate and were able to sit about 3 rows from field down the first base line. And, I'll tell you - those are some dangerous seats. The minute we sat down my friend and I both commented that these were not seats where you could look at your phone or not focus on the game. Just over from us there was a bunch of parents with their kids for a birthday party. The kids were probably 8 or 9, some younger. I thought that was a recipe for a potential disaster. At one point a ball came zipping into our section, about 2 rows behind me. The crowd was sparse enough that it went in between people but someone could have been killed. You don't have a whole lot of time to react when the ball leaves the bat at upwards of 90 mph. I asked the usher in our section if people get hit and she says it happens frequently and she was a little concerned when she saw all those young kids sit down. Luckily nothing happened. But, I can absolutely see someone get killed at one of those minor league parks. There is very little foul territory and you sit almost on top of the field. The seats down the lines around the bases or just behind them are absolutely danger zones.

It was a good days, though. The tickets were $13/ea. My friend got tickets and I picked up lunch. A couple of burgers, fries and beers was $27.50. In Citi field or CNB Park you'd have to double that amount. The 2 beers would cost that much, easily. I'll head back there at some point. The field in Trenton is like a 20 minute drive for me, so it's easy to do.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:43 am

My Diamondbacks shook off that losing streak and are now in first place again while my exes got swept by a fourth place team.

The Orioles are 10 games out of 4th place
They would have to play over .620 ball the rest of the season to finish .500.
They would have to play around .740 ball to be in wild card contention

Just push the plunger and blow it up already
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:00 am

The good news is that they're in decent position to start over. They owe Davis 100+M. They probably have to eat that, or most of it. But he's their only long-term headache. They only have 69M in payroll under contract for 2019 and about half that for 2020.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)