2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 am

Mets are 6 games under .500 and 7.5 games out of first. With a lot of divisional games left it's not insurmountable but given how they have been playing it really is.

I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am that Lama single-handedly willed Barkley to the Giants because it gives me a reason to keep caring about sports in 2018.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:34 am

Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 am

Blue&White wrote:Mets are 6 games under .500 and 7.5 games out of first. With a lot of divisional games left it's not insurmountable but given how they have been playing it really is.

I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am that Lama single-handedly willed Barkley to the Giants because it gives me a reason to keep caring about sports in 2018.

You suck!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Jose Reyes turned 35 today. The Mets are carrying his sorry ass on their 25 man roster right now. As of last night he's batting .149 and has an OBP of .213. His on base percentage is barely above the Mendoza line. What he lacks in hitting he equally lacks in fielding. He is awful. Once upon a time he was a very good baseball player but that was a long time ago. He can't hit. He can't field. He can't run.

So, it makes perfect sense that this morning the Mets released Adrian Gonzalez.

What. The. Actual. F*ck?

AGon wasn't setting the world on fire either, and I am not sorry he's gone. But, he was playing circles around Reyes. In comparison, AGon was hitting .237 with a .299 OBP and 6 home runs. That's not the kind of product you an accept from a corner infielder but it is leaps and bounds better than Reyes. And, he still plays decent defense. the Mets had some injuries on the infield and AGon saved a few errant throws and turned them into outs. I'm not shedding tears for him being cut - I was yelling for that to happen for over a month - but how is Reyes still a freaking Met?

The NY papers are all speculating the Mets are trying to give him some kind of send off. That makes complete sense because it's the exact kind of move that the Mets tone deaf ownership would be all over. Mets fans don't care about Reyes. They haven't for a long time. And, whatever nostalgia we felt for him went away when we picked him up after his banged his wife off a hotel room door and was arrested. That good will is long, long gone.

Man, I hate rooting for this team some times.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:50 pm

When I first heard they were dumping Gonzalez, I assumed someone more valuable was coming off the DL and they needed a roster spot.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:23 pm

They called up a former #1 pick, Dom Smith, to come up and play 1st base. It's an interesting move because Smith has not been setting the world on fire down in the PCL, which is a notorious hitters league. He's been doing ok but nothing that makes you think "hey, that guy should be called up because he's clearly ready for the Majors". I think what is driving it is they have a 2nd round pick from 2016, Peter Alonso, who is feasting on AA pitching. He may be the 1st baseman of the future vs. Smith. So, my take is that they know Gonzalez is a low ceiling player, they have just about played themselves out of contention, and they are going to see if Smith can hack it as an every day player in the Bigs. If he can, score and Alonso becomes trade bait. If he can't, then they know and Alonso becomes the next player to focus on for development.

I don't know that's what is going on but that is my read.

But, regardless of what they do with Gonzalez, keeping Reyes is just inexplicable. He's not just bad. He's really, really bad. Abysmally bad. It's become a point of resentment with the fans. He is constantly booed and now there are articles about how the Mets are trying to work out a proper send off for him. This is not a guy the fans have a lot of sentiment for. I have nothing against him - outside of him apparently hitting his wife - but I equally won't be crushed when he's cut. Such is the life of ball players. They have short careers and Reyes' is over. Everyone gets that but the Mets FO.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Could you make a case that (in his prime) he was the best SS the Mets ever had?

They're not doing him any favor by waiting to cut him. The Red Sox have cut ties with guys and then had them back for a "night" years later when hard feelings had a chance to subside. They did that with Garciaparra after he retired from baseball. He threw out the first ball, got a neat gift, clap-clap-clap, smiles all around. The celebration doesn't have to happen NOW.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Could you make a case that (in his prime) he was the best SS the Mets ever had?

As the total package, probably. He wasn't the best defensive short stop they ever had, though. That was Rey Ordonez. That guy could barely hit his weight but his defense was incredible. But, when you look at all he did I think he was probably the best SS the Mets had when he was in his prime. He was unbelievably fast and athletic, which was good because he is prone to some really bonehead plays and mental lapses. He's a bit like Cespedes in that regards.

I bear him no ill will, but I also have no great affinity for him. And the idea of holding on to him when he is clearly done as a player is just maddening and the epitome of this front office and ownership. It's maddening watching him walk onto that field every night, knowing full well that the best you can hope for his he doesn't make you completely cringe.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:02 am

Robinson Cano won’t be Mariners’ full-time second baseman when he returns from suspension

I thought the Mariners ownership and front office were morons when they signed him to that contract, and I think they are morons now. This is completely their fault as this was totally predictable. There was a reason the Yankees let him walk. And, more to the point, there wasn't another on the table anywhere close to $200M and they go and give him $240M for 10 years? Freaking morons.

Let this be a lesson to other teams who are considering coughing up huge money for a player entering his 30s. It absolutely never works out. I can't think of a single example you can look at and say "that was a really smart deal".

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am

Odd to announce that. Perhaps that's intended to send the message that he's "available". Good luck with that.