2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:00 pm

The only reason to do that is to show he's available. And, he absolutely can be traded if the Mariners are willing to eat enough money. I'd have to look at the different teams but I guarantee you there is a team still in contention that cold benefit from Cano when he comes back. The question is - at what price? And, there is 5 years left on that deal. So, the Mariners are going to have to eat a hefty sum to move him, but that may be more palatable than having him collect the full value of that contract over the next 5 years while coming off the bench.

The best part of this is the next time a guy like Cano is available and asking for ridiculous money, you know some GM will ignore it and sign the guy to a big contract and end up looking like a fool in a very short amount of time.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:25 pm

I'd have to look at the different teams but I guarantee you there is a team still in contention that cold benefit from Cano when he comes back.

Maybe he could help a team steal a playoff spot in September, but I'm 99% sure his suspension also included a post-season ban for this year. You'd have to get him for a really cheap price.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:43 pm

That's a good point. I had forgotten about the post season ban. Well, I guess that does make him near impossible to trade.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:21 pm

I hope they don't think they can embarrass him into quitting. That's not happening. :)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 pm

If anyone should be embarrassed into quitting it's the owner who, as I recall, basically overruled his GM and signed this stupid deal. We discussed this on the old board at the time, and it's impossible for us to go back and look, but I am pretty sure both you and I were flabbergasted by this signing. Not so much that he went to the Mariners but, without anyone bidding anywhere close to $200M or 10 years they gave him $240M for 10 years. He had a reputation of taking games off when he was with the Yankees prior to this contract. I don't know how anyone thought this contract was going to make that better.

Like I said - this should serve as a warning to other owners. It won't, but it should.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:42 pm

We discussed this on the old board at the time, and it's impossible for us to go back and look, but I am pretty sure both you and I were flabbergasted by this signing.

I also seem to recall we argued with a former poster whose name rhymed with shmappoo who was excited about the signing.

The Mariners were coming off several losing seasons in a row and their attendance had been halved from the peak of 40K a game they were drawing when Safeco Field was first built. They were desperate for some buzz. In fairness, the steady decline in attendance did turn around after signing Cano. Not dramatically, but they reversed the downward trend.

But now reality is setting in. They're winning without him, he's 35, he has to get off the juice and he's still owed 120M.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm

I think the argument we both made was "they are not one bat away from a playoff run". It's one thing if you invest elsewhere at the same time but they didn't have the budget to pay him and improve the rest of their team. They made the same mistake the Rangers made with ARod when they signed him to that monster contract. Sure, they got the best player in the game at the time (ARod, not Cano) but they couldn't afford to put a team around him.

It's ironic, but not surprising, that they are winning now that he's out.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:24 pm

I suppose the "beauty" part is that no matter how many stupid moves you make, It's been historically difficult to lose money in the long run by owning a baseball team. Nintendo of American (based in Seattle) bought the Mariners in the early 1990s for $125M. They sold them a few years ago for $1.4B. And that's a franchise with zero history and national appeal.

Any city that builds a stadium for a pro sports team with their own money is completely out to lunch.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:09 am

For anyone needing a proper dose of perspective this morning.

Cancer sucks but pediatric cancer really, really sucks.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:03 am

Over his last 10 starts, Jacob degrom has an ERA of 0.87. The Mets are 2 - 8 in those 10 games. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, since they started tracking ERA back in 1913, no team has won as few games as the Mets in a 10 game span with a pitcher with a sub 1.00 ERA.

A 115 years isn't much of a sample size but that doesn't sound good. But, just to summarize, the Mets are historicall bad right now.