2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 21, 2018 11:29 am

Zack Cozart thinks the way the Rays have been using Sergio Romo is bad for baseball

My favorite part of this article is it's centered on the complaining of a lifetime .253 hitter with a .305 OBP. Maybe he should worry more about what he's doing and less about the opposing team's strategy. He's batting .227 this year. Maybe he's not the right guy to complain about pitching strategies.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Bill James has always had a problem with the way managers user their Ace closers. He thinks bringing them in to preserve a 3-run lead in the 9th is a waste of resources. He believes it would be better for the manager to pick a more crucial time to use them. For instance, the 8th inning of a 2-2 tie with the heart of the batting order due up for the opposing team is probably a better time to have your best pitcher on the mound. And he (James) claims to have proven his theory using a simulation. But picking the "crucial time" leaves the manager open to being 2nd-guessed. which they don't like. Sticking to the current formula lets them off the hook.

That said, using a closer in the 1st inning is a little odd. But "bad for baseball" is an exaggeration.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am

Saves is a really useless stat. Coming into the 9th to hold a lead isn't that big a deal. Your ERA and BA Against when you come into a game in the 7th or 8th with inherited runners is a stat that matters. Your best relief pitcher shouldn't be your closer. Your best relief pitcher should the guy you bring in when the game is on the line, it's late innings, and you've got a few men on the bases and need to get out of that inning giving up 1 run or less. The Mets had a guy who excelled in those situations back in 2014 with Familia. In my opinion they completely devalued him by turning him into a closer.

You should use your relief pitchers based on the situation vs. the inning. I love the innovation of the Tampa solution to their problems. I think it's great for baseball. Teams with low payrolls and a big disadvantage using metrics and unconventional methods to win is absolutely great for baseball. Zack Cozart reminds me of Joe Morgan. I bet he sucks at announcing, too.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 am

Teams with low payrolls and a big disadvantage using metrics and unconventional methods to win is absolutely great for baseball.

It's probably not just low payroll teams. Some people believe there's a trend associated with recent manager hires that have involved younger guys with little experience. They believe it's because some teams don't want an "old-timey" guy who uses his instincts to make decisions. These teams want the metrics weenies in the front office to formulate the situational strategies and they want a manager who will do what he's told should be done.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 am

Included in "some people" are the front offices of the Yankees and Phillies. They absolutely made managerial hires based on that logic. I don't think they are even pretending that's not the logic.

But, even those teams are still preserving the concept of the starting pitcher. For now, at least.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 22, 2018 10:54 am

I presume that's why the Red Sox hired Cora. I can't believe it was because of a CV that included just one year as a bench coach.

The only Red Sox manager in my life time who comes close to that little prior experience is Butch Hobson in the early 90s. He was the same age as Cora, but he was at least prepped for the job by spending a year managing the AAA team.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 am

I'm not sure about Cora. He was considered a hot commodity for some reason. Not a logical reason as he's completely unproven and inexperienced but a lot of teams were chasing him and I'm not convinced it was just because of the analytics.

I'm equally not clear on what drove the Mets to hire Mickey Calloway. Not sure it was just analytics.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 22, 2018 11:45 am

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that a willingness to take direction from the metrics guys was a factor in hiring Cora.

When the last manager was fired, some local baseball writers were speculating that Dave Dombrowksi might try to talk Jim Leyland out of retirement. That's why they're baseball writers and not brain surgeons. I was a little surprised they hired Cora, but I knew there was no way the Red Sox were going to hire a dinosaur. They have a young team and they've embraced the analytics approach for years. Bill James is on their payroll.

Perhaps Cora also convinced the Red Sox he was capable of keeping "Little Alex" in his pants, unlike his predecessor.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am

I think that's a fair statement and I'm sure analytics played a role in the Mets hiring Calloway too.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 pm

psu_dad wrote:Teams with low payrolls and a big disadvantage using metrics and unconventional methods to win is absolutely great for baseball.

It's probably not just low payroll teams. Some people believe there's a trend associated with recent manager hires that have involved younger guys with little experience. They believe it's because some teams don't want an "old-timey" guy who uses his instincts to make decisions. These teams want the metrics weenies in the front office to formulate the situational strategies and they want a manager who will do what he's told should be done.

Kind of reminds me of playing Blackjack. You lose or win but probably always wins out for the most part