2018 Baseball Season

sameoldlama

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:31 am

Orioles attendance has been waning so in lieu of fielding a competitive team they are offering "zero" dollar tickets - if an adult purchases an upper deck ticket they can get two free tickets for accompanying children under 9. The logic is this will help them build a future fan base.

They haven't been in the WS since I was in college and I'm now a senior citizen - maybe they should work on that.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am

I remember taking my sons to Camden Yards in the 90s and having to get tickets over the phone from a broker. He got a little snitty with me because I wanted 3 tickets for each game and he preferred to sell them in 2s or 4s. The park was only a few years old and they were still packing the place. We had the same seats for two games, next to a very nice retired couple who had season tickets. At one point, late in a game the Sox were leading 9-0, the Orioles began a rally and my youngest was exhorting the pitcher to preserve the shutout.

Nice Old Lady: Can't we score one run?
Son: <thinking for a moment> No. I'm sorry.

Great memories.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm not a big fan of throwing at guys but Tyler Austin had it coming. He sure seemed to go into 2nd with his spikes up looking to cause some damage. He did it, he got drilled in the back. Nice effort by the Sox catcher to try and slow him down on his way to the mound. Not!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Austin absolutely had it coming and his explanation afterwards was complete BS. And no, the catcher didn't exactly evoke memories of Jason Varitek feeding Arod a catcher's mitt sammich.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:29 pm

I didn't see it but I read Austin was jawing after he spiked Holt, as if he had been wronged. He seems like a first rate asshole. I'm with Shore - not a fan of hitting guys but sometimes you need to protect your own team and this was one of those times.

Btw, I saw Pedro Martinez said he not only would have hit him, but would have done it earlier. Probably when he was getting out of his car when he first arrived at the stadium. And, Pedro probably would have aimed for the head.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 am

psu_dad wrote:Their fans have nothing to look forward to.

Fortunately, there are very few of them to disappoint. If it weren't for the fans of other teams now living in Florida, the Marlins would be lucky to average 8k a game in attendance this year. The drew poorly last year and they're down 40% so far this year. The NHL team in Miami (Panthers) has a higher average per-game attendance right now.

How do you know attendance is bad? When your AA team outdraws the big club in attendance.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:58 am

Also, how did Austin get a shorter suspension than Joe Kelly? I know Kelly plunked him on purpose but Austin spiked a guy and then charged the mound and threw the punch. You want to argue the suspensions should be the same, that's fine. But, for Kelly to get an extra game? C'mon.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:36 am

I'm guessing it's because Kelly is not an every-day player. A 6-game suspension probably translates to 3 relief appearances.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:28 pm

Blue&White wrote:And then this happened. He really dodged a bullet. Losing 2 catchers in 1 day would have been brutal.

Turns out Plawecki's hand is broken and they did lose 2 catchers in 1 day. The break seems to be minor so hopefully he's back in under a month but, jeez, can they get a freaking break from the injury bug?

They have a catching prospect they really like who got the call up. He's been in AA but he was with the big club during spring training and got to face MLB level pitchers already. Maybe he will be Lou Gherig to the collective Wally Pipp of the other 2 guys. The Nationals also released Miguel Montero a few days ago so I bet his agent is talking to the Mets already.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:16 pm

He's been in AA but he was with the big club during spring training and got to face MLB level pitchers already.

I don't know how the Mets run things, but the Red Sox often promote their top young prospects directly from AA to the majors. They like to stock the AAA team with guys who aren't projected to be stars, but can fill in at the MLB level in a pinch. A lot of their AAA guys are in their mid-to-late 20s. Xander Bogaerts, Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi went right from AA to the majors in their early 20s.
Last edited by psu_dad on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.