2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 07, 2018 4:01 pm

the NYC papers are suggesting there is some limited interest in trading for Harvey. The way this works is the Mets have 7 days from designating him for assignment to trade him. If they can't, then he's a free agent. The Mets have reportedly told teams that they are willing to eat the majority of the contract in a deal in the hopes they can get something back for him.

I think this is a ploy where the Mets themselves are leaking information in the hopes of creating a market when there is none. The problem with Harvey isn't just that he needs a change of scenery. The problem is it looks like he's shot. Why would you trade anything for him? You can take a flier on him in 4 or 5 days for the minimum if you're interested, and if he signs with someone else what did you really lose?

I suppose if someone thinks he can be quickly rehabbed maybe there is a deal but I doubt the Mets get anything for him at this point.
Hire Alex Cora

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm

What you said. There's no point in dealing with the Mets.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 08, 2018 8:47 am

Well, the Mets finally managed to win a game. 1 - 7 in their last 7. Three cheers for the Reds, the worst team in baseball. It doesn't help that their starting pitcher is named "Homer". That may be an ok name for a safetywatchmacallit at a nuclear plant but it's a lousy name for a pitcher.
Hire Alex Cora

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 08, 2018 9:45 am

Seems hard to believe, but as awful as the Reds have been, they have to maintain their current rate of awfulness in order to challenge the 1962 Mets.

Even harder to believe the Orioles are challenging them. I don't bet on sports, but I enjoy perusing the annual over/under posted by Vegas sports books each Spring. When I saw the Orioles at 73 wins, I thought "That's really low. I'd like a piece of that." This is why I don't bet on sports.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 08, 2018 10:12 am

More rumors on where Harvey is going. Teams supposedly chasing the Mets for his services are the Giants, the Rangers, the White Sox at least. I will still be shocked if he gets traded anywhere. what would you give for him?

The only way I can see a trade happening is if the Mets ate all the salary except what a team would pay as the MLB minimum when they picked him up in the off season and all they got in return was some low level player that filled a roster spot the Mets had a hole in. Not a player that anyone thought had any upside, just some fodder. That I can see maybe happening. The Mets save ~$500k in cash and their trading partner gets Harvey for the same money they would get him in the market, but without having to ask nicely first. Otherwise, there is no chance he's traded.
Hire Alex Cora

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 08, 2018 10:25 am

I still remember a TV piece I saw about him a few years ago (Bryant Gumbel's show, I think). Boinking models, getting reservations at the coolest clubs just by dropping his name, dreaming about his eventual huge pay day. He didn't come off as a "bad" guy necessarily, just a medium-level self-absorbed douchebag.

I wonder how often he cries himself to sleep?
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 am

I watched Alderson's PC when they made the announcement. He talked about Harvey in ways you don't usually hear GMs talk about a player. He was somewhat emotional about it and talked about what a good person Harvey really is and implied he wasn't always treated fairly by the press.

To me, he came off as a jerk, but I think that is part of what made him so great. I don't wish him anything bad and I hope he catches on with another team and has success again. Given all his health issues, I just think that's unlikely. And, that's not really his fault. He had two major surgeries and one of them is really a career killer (TCO). Not much you can do about that.
Hire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 08, 2018 10:57 am

White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar was released from the hospital yesterday. He's out the rest of the season but I saw his doctors think he should make a full recovery and pitch next year.
Hire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm

Reports out that Matt Harvey traded to the Reds.

Shows what I know.
Hire Alex Cora

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

What I read is confusing.

I read that the Reds traded a catcher named Mesoraco for Harvey. Apparently he was once a starter, but has been reduced to part-time play in recent years due to injuries. Supposedly the Reds are paying the remainder of Mesoraco's $13M salary, while the Mets are paying the remainder of Harvey's $5M salary.

So the Reds are out $13M and in return they get Harvey? Hello? That only makes sense if they were planning to DFA Mesoraco.
Fire Alex Cora.