Crowbar

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Crowbar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:24 pm

Personally I love Bobby Bonilla. 8-)
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Anyone follow the firing of Tigers pitching coach Chris Bosio? It's an interesting story.

The Tigers version is that he referred to an African American employee as a "monkey" and pretty much to the guys face. Either the employee complained or someone else overheard it, but the Tigers fired him pretty quickly. I think within 24 hours of the incident he was out the door.

Bosio's version is a tad more nuanced. Per him, he was talking about Tigers pitcher Daniel Stumpf, who is white. Bosio was quoted saying: "Someone in our coaches’ room asked me about Stumpf. And I said, ‘Oh, you mean, 'Spider Monkey.'’ That’s his nickname. He’s a skinny little white kid who makes all of these funny faces when he works out.” He claims the staff employee heard this, misunderstood him and thought the "monkey" comment was referring to him.

btw, when asked, Daniel Stumpf apparently said he was unaware of ever having the nickname "Spider Monkey". So, there's that.

I have no idea what happened as I wasn't there. But, it does seem unlikely to me that even someone who was inclined to call a black person "monkey" to their face would be so stupid as to actually do it in the work place. But, people do incredibly stupid things all the time and I'm continually shocked by how stupid people can be. So, the "no one can be that incredibly stupid" defense doesn't really wash because people continually show themselves to be that incredibly stupid. I also get the impression that the Tigers weren't happy with him in general. I don't follow the Tigers much at all, but from what I read of this incident none of the pitchers were jumping up and down about him being let go. If they really liked him, I'd think someone would have stood up for him and said it was a misunderstanding. But, no one said "boo". So, this may have been the excuse to get rid of him. Who knows.

Whatever happened, I sincerely hope it wasn't as innocent as he is claiming it was. That's a really stupid reason to lose your job and there is something fundamentally wrong if you can make an innocent comment to someone and be fired because else misunderstood it. But, given how quickly the Tigers acted here, I'm sort of inclined to not believe that version of the story.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 pm

... there is something fundamentally wrong if you can make an innocent comment to someone and be fired because else misunderstood it.

It's happened before.

No amount of complaining by Bosio is gong to fix this. The Tigers aren't going to reverse themselves. He either has to sue (and win) or find another occupation.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Jeezus. I really hadn't heard about the tennis announcer before. That's unreal. What's almost as alarming as the complete overreaction by ESPN (go figure) is the amount of ignorant twits who apparently don't know the difference between gorilla and guerrilla.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:56 pm

is the amount of ignorant twits who apparently don't know the difference between gorilla and guerrilla.

That is a fanstastic catch.

And, I never heard that story either. But, Bosio didn't say anythiing on-air. There is no easy way to validate what he did or didn't say. He's probably toast. And, that story is making me re-think the idea that there has to be something to this or he wouldn't have been fired. Maybe he needs to reach out to Raymond Donovan and see where he goes to get his reputation back.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:26 pm

There is no easy way to validate what he did or didn't say.

That's why I think he pretty much has to sue or he's toast.

As I understand it, there were other coaches in the room with Bosio. If they haven't spoken up, there must be a reason. Perhaps they don't want to get involved. Or they don't like Bosio. Or they don't support Bosio's explanation of what happened. Or the team told them to STFU about this. Who knows. But If they're deposed, they have to talk.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:35 pm

As a general rule, when someone has a potential law suit against your current employer, you STFU about it. Especially when talking to the press. You want to keep your job, you say nothing. No one is going to talk about this.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Interleague play will be presenting me the gift of having Phils fans letting me know how much the Orioles suck on my 4th of July.

I'm just going to sip my hard seltzer and go on line and order me a DBacks shirt. Or some other good team.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

tempe

Postby tempe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Are the D-backs good? Maybe I should go to a game instead of taking a nap.

And - I guess it would not make a difference to spell "guerrilla" on air as most the spewers would not know the difference. But it might cover one's cheekiods.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Philadelphia Phillies 2018 NL East Champions.

Gabe the Great Kapler Manager of the Year

Aaron Nola Cy Young winner

Odubel Herrera MVP
41-33.