2018 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:17 pm

"Gabe Kapler stinks." -- Anonymous
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:54 am

So, on Tuesday the Mets played Toronto. Zack Wheeler started the game. He left in the 7th and when he came out he had a 6 - 1 lead. He pitched 6.1 innings, struck out 5, put a few men on, and left a single baserunner on. But, the bullpen should be able to nail down a win with a 5 run lead, right?

Nope.

Pen gave up 5 in the 7th (and Wheeler took an earned run from the runner he walked on) and then gave up 2 more in the 8th. And, the Mets went down 8 - 6. And that, in a nutshell, is the Mets season. The hitting has been coming around. The starting pitching has been reasonably good. The bullpen, however, is a lock to give up at least 4 runs in the back innings. At least 4. The Mets actually invested some in the pen this offseason. And, they have a couple of converted starters in the pen. They really shouldn't be this horrible.

Could have, should have, may have -- didn't. And so goes the season.

See you in 2019. Baseball hope springs eternal. Meaning I have some glimmer of hope every spring, only to usually see it dashed into the rocks of despair by July.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:01 am

I head a guy on SNY say that the Mets are going to sign Machado ... Cespedes will be healthy next year ... they're going to keep their top 4 starters ... and they'll be poised to make a run next year. So there's that.

Meanwhile, the Nationals held a "team meeting" after the Red Sox came to town and kicked their ass. That's never a good sign.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:04 am

Aaron Nola Cy Young winner

Assuming the Mets don't do something stupid and trade him to an AL team (or trade him at all), your Cy Young winner is going to be an 8 win Jacob deGrom.

Ok, it's not going to be deGrom because they are not going to give it to a guy with a losing record. If they gave the award out today, I think it would go to Scherzer. His numbers are off the charts. You'd never know the Nationals are mediocre looking at his numbers. We have not even hit the All Star break and he already has 174Ks. His K/9 is 12.98. Btw, when you look at the top 10 for ERA, total Ks and K/9, only 3 of them are in the NL (Scherzer, deGrmo and Corbin from AZ). The rest are all AL pitchers. Same thing for top 10 WHIP (Sherzer, Corbin and Mikolas from STL).

You don't expect to see AL pitching dominate like that. I guess dad is right, it's a weird year and the AL has a lot of "have-nots".

dad - whoever said the Mets are going to sign Machado should be fired as he's not qualified to work on SNY.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:17 am

it's a weird year and the AL has a lot of "have-nots"

The 5 AL playoff teams are practically carved in stone already. The Indians are going to win their division and the Red Sox, Yankees, Astros and Mariners are either going to win theirs or be a wild card. No one else is close.

It's been a very weird year overall for MLB. Strikeouts are WAY up and batting averages are WAY down. It's become like softball. Everyone is just swinging for the fences. As a team, the Yankees are only batting .250 and they have more Ks than hits (by quite a bit). But they keep smacking the ball out of the park, so it doesn't matter.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:26 am

The emphasis is on batting angle, exit veloicty and "true outcomes" (there are 3 - a homerun, a walk or an out) are showing their impact. Small ball is no longer valued. The Royals back-to-back World Series appearances playing just small ball was very recent. But it seems like the lessons learned from that have been completely forgotten.

I think part of what is fueling all this is some of the metrics. Teams shift for every hitter. They know what pitches not to throw and on what count. The hitters aren't the only people benefits from this information. The game is being driven by computers and quants now. And, the "haves" that can afford to pay for the players the computers spit out are feasting on the financial disparity between the teams.

And then you have some teams that are just dramatically underperforming. The Mets are underperfomring (not sure it's dramatically) but the Nationals are a big surprise. Who picked Harper to turn from Superman to Clark Kent in his walk year? Not me. Certianly not his agent.

It's a weird season.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:44 am

The emphasis is on batting angle, exit veloicty and "true outcomes" (there are 3 - a homerun, a walk or an out)

I've watched a lot of Yankee games this year and yesterday's win was typical. Four HRs. And when they weren't hitting HRs, their totals for the game were 3 hits and 13 Ks.

Unbelievable.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:53 am

psu_dad wrote:"Gabe Kapler stinks." -- Anonymous

Now, who the hell would say something so stupid??? :shock:
41-33.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:04 pm

I had the Yankees game on for a minute or two and they're at it again. After just 3 innings, they've stuck out 6 times ... and they're leading 7-2 because they have 3 HRs. Just for grins, I checked the team stats for the 1960 Yankees. They finished with 1377 hits and 702 Ks. Almost 2x as many hits as Ks. This year they'll almost certainly finish with more Ks than hits.

This is not the game I grew up with.

----------------------------

PS - Get off my lawn.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 pm

Blue&White wrote:Aaron Nola Cy Young winner

Assuming the Mets don't do something stupid and trade him to an AL team (or trade him at all), your Cy Young winner is going to be an 8 win Jacob deGrom.

Ok, it's not going to be deGrom because they are not going to give it to a guy with a losing record. If they gave the award out today, I think it would go to Scherzer. His numbers are off the charts. You'd never know the Nationals are mediocre looking at his numbers. We have not even hit the All Star break and he already has 174Ks. His K/9 is 12.98. Btw, when you look at the top 10 for ERA, total Ks and K/9, only 3 of them are in the NL (Scherzer, deGrmo and Corbin from AZ). The rest are all AL pitchers. Same thing for top 10 WHIP (Sherzer, Corbin and Mikolas from STL).

You don't expect to see AL pitching dominate like that. I guess dad is right, it's a weird year and the AL has a lot of "have-nots".

dad - whoever said the Mets are going to sign Machado should be fired as he's not qualified to work on SNY.

I would love to see more stats on American league pitchers dominating. I absolutely HATE the DH rule. I think all the good pitchers would want to go to the AL because they only have to do one thing- pitch!