2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:46 am

They beat up on a journeyman minor leaguer with a +5.00 ERA making his major league debut. Whoop! Whoop! Clearly a championship caliber team.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 am

I thought I saw BDub on I40 West - not sure if he was headed to Houston or Arizona.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:56 am

That wasn't me. I was back in NYC in a suit on a humid day. Again.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:45 pm

So, here are some "fun facts" that will interest both dad and Lama:

- The Yankees are 20 - 8 against teams who are currently in playoff position and they are 8 - 9 vs. teams in last place.

- The Orioles are 3 - 54 this season when trailing after 7 innings. All 3 of those come back wins were against the Yankees.

If the reason the Yankees don't win the division, end up in a 1 game playoff, and then lose it, all because they couldn't beat the Orioles this season, then this entire season will be redeemed in my eyes.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:58 pm

The Orioles are my 2nd-favorite team right now.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Orioles are my second favorite team too - I'm a Diamondbacks fan (as long as they stay in first).

Good to see Schoop picking it up and even Chris Davis starting to show signs of life. Unfortunately the GM for the Orioles couldn't see this coming and held onto assets like Machado, Britton, Jones, Brach, O'Day, Trumbo for too long and will now see a diminished return for them. The GM shouldn't be allowed to even run a Fantasy League team with the bad deals they have made past two years.

Still hoping Jones finds his way to a contender - he deserves a better fate than this death march.

More importantly - by the time Christmas is over PSU will be about ready to open season and Saquon will be leading my Giants back to the top - and I can bet on it in a mere 10 minute drive from my house.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:29 pm

The GM shouldn't be allowed to even run a Fantasy League team with the bad deals they have made past two years.

I'm not sure why the Orioles ever hired Dan Duquette. He was canned 5 minutes after the current Red Sox ownership purchased the team. He was out of baseball for 9 years before the Orioles hired him. If you can't get the job done with a monster payroll, then what are the odds you'll get it done with a limited payroll?
Last edited by psu_dad on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Bdub- another fun fact- The Mets continue to place guys on the DL for stubbing their toe. Hoskins for the Fightin Phils fouled a ball off his face on a Monday night. He played on Tuesday and hit a double in the 9th inning. After Tuesday's game it was deemed that Hoskins had a broken jaw. If that was a Mets player they would be out for the year.
#needtoughermets

JerseyLion

Postby JerseyLion » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:52 pm

Indians bullpen is a major dumpster fire...its 5.37 ERA is worst in MLB. It will be the main reason the Indians won't get past Boston, New York, or Houston. However, what took place last night is really unbelievable.

Trevor Bauer pitches 8 shutout innings with 12K, and turns it over to the closer to pitch the ninth. 11 batters, and 2 pitchers later, the Reds lead 7-4. Apparently, while said closer was setting fire to the inning, Francona told the pitching coach he wanted O.P. (Oliver Perez, LHP) to warm up. Pitching coach hears O.T. (Dan Otero, RHP). Otero is summoned to face Joey Votto, who bats left, with the bases loaded at 4-3. Needless to say, Votto sends one to the gap and clear the bases. Francona takes responsibility, pitching coach takes responsibility, closer takes responsibility...that's great, but WTF will it take to stop blowing safe leads?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:18 pm

It's hard for me to believe that someone made a mistake that resulted in keeping Oliver Perez outof a game. Usually the mistake is bringing him into a game.

How old is that guy now, anyway? 85? 86? He's been around forever.

Edit: just looked it up. OP is 36. It just feels like he's older because he came up in 2002 when he was 20.