2018 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:59 pm

Two outs on one rundown? Good grief.

I just saw the replay of that gem. The Red Sox color analyst had a succinct response: "Wow."
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:01 pm

This is the exact reason I want Herrera out of here.

Wilson Ramos gets traded to the Phils. It is a good trade because Alfaro is young and can't catch a freakin ball- he has 8 passed balls. Ramos has better offensive numbers and we need that at the moment.

Here is a post from CSN Philly site. It is just some random fan, but I think it is spot on:

This is the most bizarre Phillies season I've ever seen.

Two catchers who can't catch.

An expensive cleanup hitter hitting near the Mendoza Line who is praised to the heavens by some for his ability to walk.

A rookie second baseman being thrown to the wolves at shortstop.

Last year's best outfielder toiling in the minors.

Last year's closer becoming Mr. Home Run Derby.

The bonehead in center field making the same gaffes over and over.

The worst defensive team imaginable adding the worst shortstop imaginable.

A manager who heaps praise upon stench.

A third baseman who only seems to play hard when there are footsteps.

No bunting or small ball ever.

Burning through half a dozen or more relievers many nights.

A front office that doesn't seem to realize that there are players to be found outside Venezuela and the D.R.

Strikeouts, strikeouts, strikeouts!

Some of this, unfortunately, is reflective of the bizarreness of baseball in general in 2018, but I've got to ask you...despite the current tenuous hold on first place in a putrid division...are you being entertained by this team? Are you seeing good, heads up, fundamental baseball?

That's basically all I'm asking for. Entertainment. Heads up, hustling baseball. Obviously, a level of competence and a clear path to improvement.

Am I seeing it? No...

I basically am watching Aaron Nola and Rhys Hoskins carrying a team of humpty dumpties, including the manager, on their backs.

Matt Klentak, with 3:30 on the clock...time's yours, Wonder Boy.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Here is a post from CSN Philly site. It is just some random fan.

Was it one of the guys from Paddy's Pub? He seems really angry.

Seriously, Vegas had the Phillies wins over/under set at 75 and the Nats set at 92. I can see the Nats fans being really annoyed, but it seems to me that the Phillies have over-achieved so far. They finished in last place last year, 30 games under .500! They were literally one of the worst teams in MLB.

If they lose tonight against Pomeranz, then I can see being annoyed. That would be bad.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:56 pm

sameoldlama wrote:
Shore Lion wrote:Defense wasn't their only problem. The base running was awful. Two outs on one rundown? Good grief.

I'm still expecting Chris Davis to strike out twice in one AB somehow.

Shore - what is word down there? I've seen rumors aside from Jones that Orioles may move Gausman, Bundy and Scope - if that's the case sounds like they are embarking upon "the process"

It's a full blown fire sale in Baltimore. Schoop is gone, Brach, Britton, Machado, Gausman. The Phillies wanted Adam Jones but he said he wouldn't approve the trade. Which is sweet because I hate Philly sports teams.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:23 pm

So I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up when they play the Yankees tonight.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Mets are in a serious dog fight with the Nationals. It's the 7th and Jeff McNeil just pulled them within 18 runs to tie. This is going to be a nail biter.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:10 pm

The problem with your post Bdub is the time to win is now. You didn't expect the Mets to make it to the WS years ago. You were so excited for the upcoming seasons because of all of the youngsters. How has that worked out for you? Yes, the Phils have exceeded expectations but I want more because we can get more!

BTW, your Mets are horrible

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 pm

I have no clue what any of that has anything to do with what I posted. And, as for the Mets being horrible, maybe you'd think differently if you knew Jose Reyes just pitched for the cycle.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Mets put up 3 in the 9th but came up just short of the comeback.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:29 pm

Phils win 1 of 2. The Phils are legit and have fantastic pitching!