2018 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:40 pm

Let me see if I have this right. Matz gave up 8 hits and 7 runs in 2/3 of an inning? Did a mugger stab him in the arm on his way to the park?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 pm

I guess he's a little upset he wasn't traded at the deadline. That's his way of letting everyone know they made a mistake.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:07 am

My favorite Mets fan is totally losing it. He's not a healthy guy. This season might actually do him in.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:55 am

Being a lifelong Reds fan, I can almost understand where his is coming from. Of course, I don't recall my team losing to anybody by three touchdowns!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:25 am

psu_dad wrote:My favorite Mets fan is totally losing it. He's not a healthy guy. This season might actually do him in.

Oh. My. God. That could be on Saturday Night Live and would be easily as funny as most of what they put on ... and that's not meant as a slam against SNL. That "Mickey Kotite" comment? That was comedic gold! I also enjoyed his prediction that the Mets will trade with the O's for Chris Davis this off season. Sadly, I can see that happening.

btw, his basic comments are not wrong. His delivery makes it impossible to take anything he says seriously, but his basic comments are right. Watching the Mets laugh it up while Jose Reyes pitches batting practice in a blow out is not ok. I get that once the game is out of hand there is no reason to waste a bullpen arm and it's common practice to throw in a position player at that point. But, making a joke of it and thinking it's funny while the cameras are on you is ridiculous. It's bad enough that Reyes is still on the team when he should have been cut months ago. To throw him in the fans face that way, and make a joke of it, is just moronic. Mickey Calloway should be fired for that alone.

Btw, sometime around the 7th the Mets announcers stopped calling the game. At one point Gary, Keith and Ron were reading from the post season section of the media guide while playing classical music. They just stopped talking about the game. Good for them. I consider that a protest and I suspect they will hear about it from Mets management. And I bet they will shoot right back at them.

Btw, the biggest trade news of the day yesterday was the trade that didn't happen - the Nats did not trade Harper. I read early this morning they decided they are putting their chips on the table and going for it in the East. They think the Phillies are vulnerable to be caught.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:26 am

Newly acquired Yankee JA Happ sent home with foot and mouth diease.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:36 am

They think the Phillies are vulnerable to be caught.

The Phillies W-L record is better than their RS-RA indicates it should be. The Nats W-L record is worse than their RS-RA indicates it should be. That usually means winning (or losing) a large number of 1-run games. As it turns out, the Phillies are 20-10 in 1-run games this year and the Nats are 10-18.

Sabermetricians have analyzed the snot out of the 1-run-game phenomenon and believe that it's largely "luck" (or more accurately, a random process), Not entirely. Largely. There is SOME correlation between how good a team is and their record in 1-run games, of course. That's because the better teams win more games in general and the poorer teams lose more in general. But the correlation isn't strong. Nor is winning more than your share of 1-run games repeatable from year-to-year by any single team. It's largely random. Some times you have one of those seasons where everything clicks in close games. Some times you don't.

The Phillies have been lucky so far. The Nats haven't. There's still two months for that to change.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 am

I agree. And, I think the Nationals agree. They really should have a better record than they do. And, they are not that far behind. 5.5 games is nothing at this point. Especially when they are trailing a team - really 2 teams - who are starting to flounder.

I still think the Nationals will take the NL East.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 am

5.5 games is nothing at this point.

Tell me about it. The Red Sox now have three of their starters on the DL. And their return is not imminent. They are bound to flounder in August. I'd be content with win-1-lose-1 for the next few weeks.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 pm

The Red Sox can play below .500 the rest of the season and still win 100 games. That's crazy.