2018 Baseball Season

sameoldlama

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 am

psu_dad wrote:The As looked overwhelmed. I guess 50,000 crazed ex-felons on parole screaming at you from the stands does that to some teams.

Mrs psi_dad: I'm sure there weren't 50,000 ex-felons in the stands.
Me: OK. 40,000. Minimum.

They played the game in front of all current and former members of Congress and the boards of the 8 top Wall Street firms?
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:47 am

So, the O's took some of my advice and fired GM Dan Duquette. But, as far as I'm aware he still has his head. So, a half measure as far as I'm concerned.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:12 am

I recall that a few years ago the Blue Jays supposedly tried to hire Duquette as their team president. It was reported that it fell through when the teams couldn't agree on compensation for letting him out of his Orioles contract.

I guess they can hire him now.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Well, on the plus side, I saw the Mets have stated they had no interest in interviewing Dan Duquette for the GM job. I have to admit, I really figured he was a lock with the Wilpons. The way he ignored all analytics, signed aging starts to big contracts and drove the team right into the ground? Man, that had to have the Wilpons salivating. That's their kind of GM. But, I guess some semblance of sanity has prevailed.

I have read that candidates who lean heavily on analytics are not interested. Seems the Wilpons are scaring them off. There are reports that former Red Sox GM Ben Cherington has taken himself out of the running due to concerns he won't be allowed to run the team the way he wants.

Also, I have been offered a ticket to next Tuesday's Yankees-Red Sox game in the Bronx. I'm trying to decide how I could best smuggle holy water into the stadium as I think I will need it to fight off the undead I'm sure I will encounter while on souch foul grounds.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:44 pm

I saw the Mets have stated they had no interest in interviewing Dan Duquette for the GM job.

Did they actually "state" that? Or did they simply respond "no" when asked if Duquette was on their list? Seems odd to publicly "state" the names of people you're not going to interview.

-----------------------------

Reuters - The New York Mets announced today that they will not be interviewing internet personality B&W for a position as their new GM. "He's a PITA. And he's always busting my chops " said the team's COO Jeff Wilpon in a statement released today.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:18 pm

My understanding is they put out a message in both semaphore and smoke signals that he wasn't getting an interview.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:43 pm

They need to hire this guy.

And they need to do so today.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:01 pm

I missed this but apparently during the Yankees - Red Sox game while discussing Yankees pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, Ron Darling made the following comment:

A little chink in the armor for Tanaka here. It’s the first inning where he’s lost a little of his control.

Can you all see it? Plain as day? The outrageous slur? If you caught it right off, you're better than me. I had to read it twice to figure out what people were upset about.

And, as you can imagine, the Outrage Police showed up demanding Darling's execution for using the word "chink" correctly and in context because it was, evidently, insulting to Tanaka - who is Japanese. Meanwhile, Darling, who's own mother is a mix of Chinese and Hawaiian, catered to this stupidity and issued an apology.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people? There are enough legitimate things in the world to be angry and upset over that you don't need to go hunting for them. I mean, this is just moronic. A bit disappointing that he caved to this and apologized, but it's probably easier to do that then explain to stupid people that they are being stupid.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Social Media is the bubonic plague of our time - or at least VD
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people?

I hope that's a rhetorical question because I wouldn't know where to begin. :lol: