2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:27 pm

No, go on. I've got some time today.

Lama - I don't know if social media is the problem but it's certainly not the solution. Oh, and for pure out-and-out stupidity, I still think nothing will top this.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Poor girl - if only she was a university professor she'd be getting an all expenses paid "research" trip

https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgetown-p ... h-on-leave

We all have stupid impulses / rain farts / overreactions - normally they get filtered because no one is around to hear them or it's a small audience of friends who let us know how stupid we just were - unfortunately with social media those filters are removed and someone's idiocy goes on full display - and when called by strangers on social media these people go into full defense mode instead of just saying "my bad". Let's face - DT is the very symbol of a nation of people that should not have their every thought immediately shot out to the world.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Nice. I didn't take her seriously, though. Anymore than I took the professor at Brooklyn College who apparently wrote a blog where he wrote "If someone did not commit sexual assault in high school, then he is not a member of the male sex". When the shit predictably hit the fan, his response was a combination of "this was obviously satire and I had no idea anyone read this blog". When read in context, his comments were clearly, blatantly satirical. But, we don't live in a world where people have any sense of humor and he should have known that. Last I saw he apologized if anyone was offended, made it clear he does not condone sexual assault, restated this position it was satire, and made it clear he has no intention of stepping down from his position.

I wish him the best of luck and hope he can stick it out. I feel the same way about the Georgetown professor. I think what she wrote was pretty stupid, but people have the right to say and write stupid things. But, maybe - just maybe, our culture needs to develop more of a "measure twice and cut once" mentality when it comes to sharing our every random thought with the world at large.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:56 pm

All Darling is doing by apologizing for this nonsense is enabling stupidity. Stupidity needs to either be challenged as such or ignored. The only acceptable apology to issue to someone offended by Darling's comment would be "I sincerely regret that you're an idiot."

Perhaps his employer leaned on him. Who knows.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:23 pm

His exact statement was:

“Earlier tonight I used an expression while referencing Masahiro Tanaka’s pitching performance. While unintentional, I apologize for my choice of words"

That's not too bad, but "chink" is a word with an actual definition. It's not Darling's fault that it is also a racial slur and, used properly and in context, it is obvious that he was using the adjective "chink" and not the racial slur. I agree with you - it is preposterous that he had to apologize at all.

Btw, if you really want your head to pop, look no further than the coverage of this in the New York Post: Ron Darling apologizes for accidental Masahiro Tanaka slur.

"Accidental slur"???? You've got to be kidding me.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:16 pm

Ninth inning of a thrilling game in the Bronx and there's only a few hundred people in the stands.
What's up with that?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 pm

I didn't realize the Yankees were playing the Patriots.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 am

The knuckleheads on SNY were convinced two days ago that the Yankees had seized "momentum" in the series and were going to steamroll the Red Sox in Yankee Stadium. Today, they're tearing poor Aaron Boone a new one and saying the "momentum" has switched back. Jeezus Krist, stop with the momentum crap already. Clearly, that's not a factor in this series. It's strictly a game-to-game proposition.

In my next life, I'm going to be in the sports media. You can make a living as an"expert" while having no more insight than the average fan. Pretty sweet. I think other occupations should work like that. I've always wanted to pretend that I was an architect.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:57 am

One of the people being considered for the Mets GM job is a woman named Kim Ng. She is currently the Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations for Major League Baseball and in the past she worked in the front office for the WhiteSox, Yankees, and Dodgers. She had gotten as high as assistant GM but has never held the big job herself. If the Mets hire her, she will be the first woman to hold this level position in any US sport (I have no idea if there are women who have reached equivalent levels outside the US). As you can imagine, the possibility of her getting the job is as much as, if not more, a story as the search for a new GM is. And, as you can also imagine, the Mets are getting some subtle and not so subtle pressures to break the gender barrier here and hire this woman. And, in fairness, it would give the Mets some much needed good press. And, they can use some good press. Especially for something like this givent the last time the Mets made the news with a story involving a female employee. And, as an unrelated sidenote - I believe every single word of Leigh Castergine's allegations against Jeff Wilpon and think the guy is a pig.

I'm all for this. From what I've read about her, she has all the qualifications but whether or not she can actually be successful at the job is a total crapshoot. But, she is no more or less a crapshoot than any of the other names around - with the exception of Doug Melvin. Doug Melvin is not a crap shoot, he's a sure thing to suck balls. He sucked balls when he was the GM of the Brewers and he's a lock to suck balls if he gets the job with the Mets. But, beyond him, all the other names being tossed around all have the same "lookg good on paper but who the heck knows" quality about them. So, why not do something historic and give it to Kim Ng? Assuming she doesn't blow the interview or there is someone who is just obviously better, I say hire her.

The Mets will find some way to blow this, though. Either they won't hire her and will make some derogatory comment in defending the decision, or they will hire her and then not give her the control she needs to make it work. We'll see.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:23 am

They wouldn't have to pay for her moving expenses. So there's that.