2018 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:46 pm

The NFL has settled with Kaepernick and Eric Reid on their collusion case. The details of the settlement are confidential, but apparently both players had previously stated they would only settle if the NFL put forth a lot of money. So, take from that what you will.

I have to believe that pretty much ends any chance either player had of ever signing with an NFL team again. If they weren't conspiring against them before, they certainly are going to now.
Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:31 am

Ummm ... Reid just signed a 3 year extension with the Panthers this week.

Kap reportedly asked for $20MM to play in AAF - so unrealistic expectations may be his stumbling block
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 am

Ok, I missed that about Reid. My bad.

As for Kap, i saw he turned them down but didn't realize he was asking for $20M. If that's correct, well, that was pretty much him just saying "no". I doubt the entire payroll for that league is much higher than $20M.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Blue&White wrote:Plaxico Burress wasn't a Giant during Eli's rookie seaseon. He came the following year, in 2005. And, that 2004 team had a lot of talent but a lot of it was very young. That Oline was first coming together.

As for Rosen, if he's available, I can't see how the Giants could get him without trading this year's 1st round pick. And, if you think he's better than any of the QB available in the draft, then I think that is ok. Like I said, I read that the Giants ranked him the highest of all the QBs last year. I don't know that's true, but it is something that has been put out there. If they did, and they think he rates better than the QBs available in this year's draft, I think it makes sense to trade that 1st pick to acquire him. There are a lot of "ifs" there that I'm not in any way qualified to answer. But, if, come draft day, the Giants gave up their #1 pick and acquire Rosen, I'll be ok with it. Any QB you take is a risk. Most of them wash out. I have no idea if he's beter or worse than the other options.

I was comparing Eli's 2nd season to Rosen's first because Eli only started 7 games in his rookie year. Eli still had way more weapons than Rosen.

As for this collusion case. The NFL is smart as hell in settling this Kap case. Absolutely nothing gets leaked out so no one knows if there was collusion or not. BTW, I am not saying there was an agreement on colluding but I am sure there was a secret handshake that said do not sign Kap! There is no way in hell that Mark Sanchez is better than Kap. Not the same thing but kind of a secret handshake could be the amount teams are offering Machado and Harper. I would love to know what teams are offering at the moment

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Ok, I didn't realize you were talking 2005. Yes, Plax was there and Eli definitely had more weapons than Rosen. It took a few years for Eli to put it all together.

Also,

There is no way in hell that Mark Sanchez is better than Kap.

Completely agree. That's why I thought there was come kind of handshake deal. I read this morning there are some rumors the Panthers will now sign him, but I doubt it. Of course, I was obviously surprised to find out that they signed Reid (which begs the question of what he was suing about if he had a job?). But, as a practical matter, once you sue your employer that is generally it for you ever working for them again.

As for Harper and Machado, we know, for a fact, that the Nationals put $300,000,000 for 10 years on the table. We know that because they made a public statement about it. And, there was a rumor that they upped that to $330 but not sure if that is true. At minimum, we know that Harper during down 30 million a year. So, I don't know what kind of collusion there can be when you turn down a number like that. I think that will get resolved soon, though. There are rumors this weekend that he's close to signing with someone, and the Phillies sound like they are the team (which, of course, probably mean it ain't the Phillies since these rumors are so often wrong).

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:40 am

sameoldlama wrote:Ummm ... Reid just signed a 3 year extension with the Panthers this week.

Kap reportedly asked for $20MM to play in AAF - so unrealistic expectations may be his stumbling block

Completely agree.

Again, I don't care if you're offended by the protests or are offended that people are offended by the protests. However, Kaepernick sabotaged his own career by voluntarily leaving the 49ers and undermining possible signings with other teams. Eric Reid, on the other hand, has a job and is still a complete asshole as evidenced by the way he went after Malcolm Jenkins this past season.

I just hope these two clowns use some of that settlement money to fund a nice pay raise to the poor, predominantly female, work force in Vietnam making .80 an hour to make $100.00 (or more) Nike shoes.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:41 am

I doubt the entire payroll for that league is much higher than $20M.

It's somewhat higher. The entire league (player) payroll is just a tad more than Clayton Kershaw made last year. If someone in the AAF reached out to Kaepernick, I presume it was more of a publicity stunt than anything else. And if you google "AAF Kaepernick", you'll get over 11M hits, so apparently it worked.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:32 am

In exciting news AAF news Hack scored a TD on a scramble last weekend and good news for B&W - Tebow declined an AAF invite so he could focus 100% on getting the Mets to the WS.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:13 pm

If Tebow sees a single at bat in the Bigs it means the Mets season has gone horribly wrong and they are trying to sucker, er, I mean draw, people into the stadium for meaningless September games. I am really indifferent to Tebow but his being a AAA player is a complete joke. Guys work their whole lives for a shot at the Major Leagues. It's a real slap in the face to them to hand a AAA job, and possibly a call up to the Bigs, to a guy who is clearly not getting there on merit. Tebow has done better in the minors than I ever expected, but his numbers did not warrant a promotion. He is there for the freak show aspect of it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Perhaps the Mets figured Tebow had sold as many Binghamton Rumble Ponies jerseys as he was going to sell.

---------------------------
Hey, he'll be playing the Pawtucket Red Sox next year. I might drive down to take a look.

Mrs psu_dad: Seriously?
Me: No.
Klaatu barada nikto