2018 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Don't be so sure he won't be in Pawtucket in 2020. If the Mets season does go down the toilet and they call him up at some point, it is unlikely they are going to hold a 40 man spot for him after the season ends. There is a really good chance that if he plays in the majors this year he gets Designated for Assignment during the winter, and will be available for the Red Sox (and all the other MLB teams) to sign him and get in on the ticket selling action.

Tebow has delivered on what the Mets wanted - he put fannies in seats and sold jerseys. I can't believe another team wouldn't want in on that. And, in fairness to him, I think he has performed better than anyone gave him credit for or thought him capable of. I do not believe he is starting the season in AAA on merit. A cursory glance at his stats in AA confirms that. A Double A corner infielder who strikes out 35% of the time he steps into the batter's box and hits 10 home runs a season (what he was on pace to do when he got hurt last season) is no a guy you generally promote to the next level. Maybe if the guy has a gold glove caliber defense (Tebow doesn't) and is stealing 60 bases a season in the minors (Tebow wasn't) you think about moving that guy up. Maybe. But, a slugger who can't really slug in the mid-minors? That is not a guy who usually gets promoted. But, given that he stopped playing baseball in highschool and picked it up again when he was 28, I'm pretty impressed with what he's done. Especially when you look at another big time athlete from another sport - Michael Jordan - and compare Tebow to what Jordan did in AA ball. Tebow played circles around Jordan. Granted, Jordan went right to AA and didn't have to go through the low minors to beef up his skills and pitch recognition, but he was awful as a baseball player (although he did steal 30 bases).
Is it baseball season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Blue&White wrote:If Tebow sees a single at bat in the Bigs it means the Mets season has gone horribly wrong and they are trying to sucker, er, I mean draw, people into the stadium for meaningless September games. I am really indifferent to Tebow but his being a AAA player is a complete joke. Guys work their whole lives for a shot at the Major Leagues. It's a real slap in the face to them to hand a AAA job, and possibly a call up to the Bigs, to a guy who is clearly not getting there on merit. Tebow has done better in the minors than I ever expected, but his numbers did not warrant a promotion. He is there for the freak show aspect of it.

It is not what you know but who you know. That is the way life works

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 am

In Tebow's case, it's what the Wilpon's know - and they know he can sell tickets and jerseys.

But, your basic point is correct - merit is not always, or even usually, the primary factor in getting ahead.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:09 am

I keep seeing references to a trade of OBJ to the Patriots. Working from my secret man-cave/bunker as I do, I may be out of touch with what's going on out there. Is crack cocaine more widely used by the media than I perceive?
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:15 am

I've seen that too. The Giants are apparently shopping him and there are rumors that the Patriots were interested last year when there were rumors he was being offered.So, I guess people assume they are interested again.

I really hope there is truth to this. The idea of OBJ up in Boston with Brady and Belichick is just the greatest thing I've ever heard.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:21 am

People were surprised years ago when the Patriots acquired Randy Moss. But they got him under a favorable contract, so they knew they could cut his butt if/when he became a PITA without taking a serious financial or cap-space hit.

But there's No Way on God's Green Earth they're going to eat that fakakta contract the Giants gave to OBJ.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:28 am

It does seem outside the bounds of what the Pats have done in the past. I don't think they have given anyone big money outside of Brady. And, that philosophy obviously works for them.

Hey, I didn't say it was going to happen. I said I wanted it to happen.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:52 am

I don't think they have given anyone big money outside of Brady

Brady doesn't make big money. He doesn't even make Ryan Tannehill money.

That's why this rumor is so preposterous. OBJ's contract pays him an average of 18M per. The Patriots are going to acquire OBJ and make him their highest paid player? They're going to pay him more than their HOF QB? They're going to pay him 2x as much as their HOF tight end? They're going to pay him more than 3x as much as the slot receiver (Edelman) who has played a huge role in 3 SB wins? And with 40M+ of it guaranteed?

It would turn their entire business model (depth over divas) upside down. They would have a friggin mutiny on their hands. Do the people who start these rumors even follow sports? Why don't the sports networks save money on "experts" and just bring in monkeys to fling poop around the studio instead?
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 am

Like I said, I didn't say I believed the rumor. I am just rooting for it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:52 am

That was mostly just a rant on the pathetic state of sports reportage. I still like my monkey-poop concept. I may look for venture capital to start my own network.
Klaatu barada nikto