2018 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Apparently the AAF has folded. At least for this season. They have terminated the last few weeks of the season and let go of their staff. They also apparently told their players they are free to try to sign with NFL teams (and the NFL has told their owners not to touch any of these players until the AAF officially folds as they are concerned about litigation).

Can't say I am surprised. Competing with the established leagues is nearly impossible. A lot has been made over the MLB anti-trust exemption but the fact is that, at this point, you don't need an anti-trust exemption to not have competition. The market just doesn't support multiple leagues.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Competing with the established leagues is nearly impossible.

It wasn't in 1960 when the AFL was formed, but that was a totally different era. The NFL wasn't anywhere near the monster it is today. There were several large markets (such as New England, Texas, Florida) that didn't have teams and a few markets (such as NY and SoCal) that could support more than one. Plus the average fan only got to see a single NFL game a week on TV. And CBS had an exclusive contract, so their rivals (ABC and later NBC) aligned with the AFL and went all in.

The NFL now has WAY too much exposure to compete with. But for some reason, it doesn't keep people from trying.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:56 pm

And baseball has the local markets sewn up plus contracts with Fox and ESPN. The NHL and NBA have national contracts. I think if you run your season off the normal league seasons you have a chance but then you're competing against other sports. Limited opportunity to get viewership.

This is why there is one league for each of the major sports.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:00 pm

And with their now expanded/overlapping seasons and massive TV coverage, I don't see that changing. I'm actually surprised more teams don't fold. The NHL, which has always been at the bottom of the 4 major sports, has a bazillion teams.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:08 pm

I don't get that either. The NFL has teams that can't draw at all. So does baseball. Outside of the northeast and really entrenched teams in the midwest like the Cardinals and Cubs, I think attendance starts to get pretty light. The Dodgers do well, but I doubt the Angels do. The Florida teams don't draw at all. I don't think the Texas teams so well either. I'm not sure how some of these franchises survive.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:16 pm

It must be the massive/shared TV revenue. I guess we've become a nation of couch potatoes.
Fire Alex Cora