2018 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:13 am

Trump changed his story

There's a phrase that gets a lot of use lately.
Is it baseball season yet?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:26 am

I'd never heard that some players thought Montana was throwing the ball away. I never thought he was. But that video just continued to reinforce how much I hate Tony Dorsett's freaking guts. I grew up a Skins fan when that rivalry was really something so I was always rooting against him. And then when he pulled that crap when Pitt beat PSU and interrupts Trace's interview to shout Hail to Pitt. What a dick.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:07 am

The whole teams going to the WH isn't exactly something fundamental to the functioning of our government or nation. It is nothing more than politicians using a sports team accomplishment as a photo op / free positive press.

Let's be honest - members of the Eagles were using this event to advance and get press for their political views and their disdain for Trump. Sports teams no more owe any POTUS the opportunity to use their accomplishment as an opportunity to bask in their reflected glow than the POTUS owes athletes an invitation to the WH so they can refuse it and get in the press and rip on him.

I would say Trump should have simply never even offered an invite and the Eagles should have come out and publicly said "not interested" before an invite was offered. The only thing either side wanted was press coverage - neither side wanted to be around the other.

Secondly the whole anthem issue is not a free speech issue. Employers are not obligated to give workers platforms to espouse their personal beliefs while representing the company - especially if that behavior is insulting to a significant portion of their customer base. We are all free to espouse our personal beliefs on our personal time. These athletes have ample platform via social media or a friendly liberal press to espouse their political views - their free speech is in no way being suppressed.

Just end these visits altogether - they achieve nothing and now have become just one more trivial event for the press to turn a mole hill into a mountain over - in anything just let the FLOTUS host visits for Little League teams and rancor should be limited to D list comedians ripping on Melania for God knows what.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am

What lama said.

That said, the NFL probably deserves the grief they're getting. No one bent their arms and forced them to market patriotism like Peyton Manning marketing pizza. If they hadn't, the "no politics on the job site" argument would be stronger.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:21 am

That said, the NFL probably deserves the grief they're getting. No one bent their arms and forced them to market patriotism like Peyton Manning marketing pizza. If they hadn't, the "no politics on the job site" argument would be stronger.

This. And, they did more than market patriotism. They sold it for cash. They brought this on themselves.

As for Lamas argument about it being done at work, I've 2 issues with that. First, the employer is the entity that gets to decide what is appropriate at work. And, they didn't raise this issue. Everyone raised it for them.. Second, the owners recent actions were largely due to pressure and threats from the president. That does make it a 1sr Amendment issue.

As for the WH visits, I don't know how that ever became a thing.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 am

Did you like the way I worked in the Peyton Manning dig?

Mrs psu_dad: Let it go already.
Me: He killed 5 hookers. People forget.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:25 am

When players first started their protests the NFL was caught flat footed - they didn't have a specific policy in place and they waffled between the fear of offending sponsors / fans and upsetting the talent (players) and getting torched in the press by a liberally biased media. They were in a no win situation - whatever decision they made was going to leave either a significant number of their consumers unhappy or their talent (an the NFL is a product where talent is not easily replaceable and is an essential aspect of the brand) vocally criticizing their employer.

So they more or less did nothing and as always when you do nothing a problem tends to get worse. And this one did.

I don't think the NFL is reacting to Trump as much as they are the market forces and their consumers - it's all about the dollars, always the dollars. So they tried a compromise solution of allowing players who don't wish to stand to remain in the locker - only problem is you let this fester so long no compromise will suit either side. Hell when it comes to politics the word compromise should be removed from the dictionary at this point.

I'd agree that sports teams performing the anthem before games has been mostly a bit of phony posturing and as far as I am concerned they could just drop it altogether - nothing to argue about now. Maybe just keep to Memorial Day, Veteran's Day and do something significant to recognize Vets.

If I am an NFL owner and seeing all these recent lawsuits by cheerleaders I'd be dropping that too. In the end you've got to put an exciting game on the field - if this other stuff distracts from the game itself in a consistently negative fashion and doesn't really add anything to viewership - cut it.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:17 pm

When Kapernick first started the protest, it was preseason and he sat for the anthem. It wasn't noticed at first, but slowly started gaining attention. When he explained his reason, a wounded warrior spoke with him, I believe, and suggested the idea of taking a knee so as not to offend the patriotic veterans out there. (Not that all or only veterans are patriotic, of course) But it snowballed just the same and the president latched on to it as a rallying cry or an easy chum throw to his base; maybe both.

Jerry Jones stated under oath that the owners voted on the new police due to pressure from the president. It makes me wonder if maybe Donald Trump is invested in Vince McMahons new version of the XFL.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:21 pm

LioninVa wrote: But it snowballed just the same and the president latched on to it as a rallying cry or an easy chum throw to his base; maybe both.

That's a BINGOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:05 pm

At least Fox Newsis keeping it fair and balanced in covering the story.