2018 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:01 pm

I agree Manning doesn't work with this OL and I would figure if Giants find themselves with only 2-3 wins by mid season he will get benched.

I don't figure that at all. Based on last year I think they are going to throw him out there regardless. Maybe with a new HC and GM ownership can be talked into moving on. But, I suspect they are sensitive to how badly it was handled last year. I think the fan base could have accepted it if Manning was benched for a draft pick that they wanted to assess. But, to throw Geno Smith out there instead just pissed everyone off and the Giants took some serious knocks for it. And, I think the Maras are concerned about a replay of that.

We'll see. I see no evidence that the Giants are going to do squat this year. the offensive line just can't give Manning the time he needs. He's also 37 and he's clearly lost a step - a step he really couldn't afford to lose. He seems to take too long to check off and get rid of the ball. He's lost some accuracy. He's at the end of his road and the Giants need to find a replacement. I doubt the future is Kyle Lauletta but he's there, he's on the team, they spent a 4th round pick on him, so I say if midseason the Giants are still a 1 or 2 win team, you give Lauletta the ball and see what happens. I suspect nothing much good, but at least you'll know.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:56 am

Eli's career is easily the strangest of any QB I can think of. He has a career QB rating of 85 with a TD/Int ratio of 1.5, both of which are average, at best. Just as a basis for comparison, Brady's career numbers are 98 and 3.0+. Eli's career has basically been 15 years of mediocrity sandwiched around two insane SB runs. And it's not like he has generally been a good post-season QB. In the four post-seasons he didn't win the SB, his composite QB rating was around 65, which is WAY below average.

He is EASILY the worst QB ever to win two SBs. And there isn't a close second.
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:50 am

I think the 2 SBs will ultimately get him enshrined in Canton, OH. He also has the name recognition, he played for a high profile team and 1 of those SBs came against an undefeated team.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:18 pm

He is EASILY the worst QB ever to win two SBs. And there isn't a close second.

But that's not a big pool of people. There aren't a ton of QBs with multiple SBs win. There are a few, certainly, but it's not an extensive list.

I think Manning was, at his best, a very good QB. For most of his career he was good and now he's below average. He was never elite. and, personally, I think he's on the bubble to be a in Canton. I think it's really tough to compare eras in the NFL due to all the constant rule changes. But, even when compared to his contemporaries I don't think he's at the top. He falls behind Brady, his brother, and Brees. I think you can argue he's better than Rothlisberger but I wouldn't make that argument. I think Big Ben has had a better career. So, he's, best case (by my calculations), the 5th best QB of his era. And, even if you want to argue he's 4th, I think he's a far distance from the top 3.

I love Eli Manning and those 2 rings, but if I had an NFL Hall of Fame vote, I doubt I'd cast it for Eli Manning.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 pm

There aren't a ton of QBs with multiple SBs win.

There are a dozen, to be precise. Nine retired, three active. Jim Plunkett is the only retired one not in the HOF. So there is a precedent for winning 2 SBs and not getting in the HOF.

It's impossible to compare Eli's numbers to Plunkett's, because they played in TOTALLY different eras. But they had similar reputations in their day. Both were considered good, but not great ... both had two great SB runs ... and both did little/nothing in the post-season other than those two SBs,

---------------------

PS - I erred when I said there was no one close to Eli in the category of "worst QB to win 2 SBs". I forgot about Plunkett.
PPS - I don't consider "worst QB to win 2 SBs" to be an insult.
Klaatu barada nikto

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Saquon scored an awesome TD but Gints fans have to be holding their breath at the moment. It does not look good, but he is up as I type. I actually want the Gints to win

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:45 pm

You jinxed ‘em, Chris!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Giants are saying Barkley is ok.

And, that was an incredibly frustrating loss. The officiating in the NFL really sucks. I'm not blaming the officials for the loss - the Giants gave the game away when they muffed a punt and the Panthers scored a TD off of it. That was what cost them the game. But, man, the officials are bad. It really just feels like they just make things up most of the time. And, the rules to protect players from concussions are out of control. I am really ok with calling helmet-to-helmet contact. But, when one guy is going for the ball and on the fall down his helmet touches the other players helmet, that really needs to not be called.

Forget the kneeling. I think the ratings in the NFL are way down because the game is nearly unwatchable now. The 5 minute instant replay review when it's obvious to the entire world in 30 seconds what the proper call is, the ridiculous flags, and the penalizing for playing defense has just ruined the game.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:38 pm

I don't watch much day-time NFL in early Fall because the weather is too nice to stay inside. But on a rainy day like today, I still wouldn't watch it were it not for the Red Zone channel. For reasons too numerous to go into, I find the typical single-game broadcast unwatchable.
Klaatu barada nikto

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:36 pm

psu_dad wrote:I don't watch much day-time NFL in early Fall because the weather is too nice to stay inside. But on a rainy day like today, I still wouldn't watch it were it not for the Red Zone channel. For reasons too numerous to go into, I find the typical single-game broadcast unwatchable.

You sound like an impatient teenager :D