2018 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:08 am

Eli is done. Everyone keeps blaming the line, and the line isn't great, but I think the key problem is Eli. The Giants drafted a QB in the 4th round and they should name him the starter for the remainder of the year and see if he can play. There is zero downside to trying him. They won't though. They will continue to start Eli all season and insist they can win with him.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:48 am

the line isn't great

I kinda/sorta figured that would be the case when I saw the contract they offered Nate Solder. He's a good tackle, but he's not a great tackle. That signing reeked of desperation.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:18 am

I think a QB that was a little more mobile would have a lot fewer issues with that line. Yes, there are times when Eli says "hike" and there is someone right in his face. No QB is going to be successful in that situation. But, there are equally tims where Eli has the time and he doesn't find the receiver, doesn't go through his progressions fast enough, or just doesn't get the ball where it needs to be.

I'm not an expert, but to my lay eyes, that have watched a lot of football, Eli no longer has "it", whatever it really is. I appreciate the loyalty the Giants showed him. He earned that with 2 Super Bowl wins. But, it's time that everyone in the Giants organization get realistic. Eli is done. They are not going to win with Eli as the QB. Or, put another way, you can't spell "elimination" without "eli". We are 6 weeks into the season, and the Giants season is completely over. They are just playing for a draft pick again. A high one. It's unlikely that rookie Kyle Lauletta is going to be the next franchise QB but you won't know until you see what the kid can do. It's time to put him in and let him play out the 10 game string. Maybe he surprises you or maybe he does exactly what you expect and prove he's a 2nd string QB on the team to work the D during practice. But, it's time to find out. And also time to start checking to see what QBs are coming out next year and if any fit your offensive mold.

That's not what is going to happen, though. The Giants are going to continue to trot Eli out there for at least the next 6, and probably no less than 8, games. Sometime in December they may agree to start Kyle Lauletta, but I'm not holding my breath. The Maras have been great owners for a lot of years, but they can be really, really stubborn.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:48 pm

I suspect what the Giants are trying to avoid is the media spectacle that could result from benching Eli now and then having to bring him back later if Lauletta is a Complete Disaster. They don't need that grief. They already have Beckham to deal with.

If things continue as they've been, perhaps Lauletta finishes out the season as you suggested. If he plays well, they're set for next year. If he totally poops the bed, at least they avoid having to reinstate Eli.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:00 pm

I suspect the Giants at every level are questioning signing Beckham to that deal. He's a great player and his ability to make fantastic 1 handed grabs is only exceeded by how much of an asshole he is.

As for Lauletta, I suspect you may be right. And, the worst case scenario is he does just well enough.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Local press is starting to call for a change at QB and some are saying whatever the Giants owed Eli they paid back last year.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:24 pm

So, BW, I hate watching this Giant team as much as you - minus SB of course (which is providential, b/c SB = Saquon Barkley and Super Bowl, which means the Giants are going to win a Super Bowl with Saquon Barkley - how 'bout them mental gymnastics! HA!!!).

But...

This offensive line is the worst I've seen since 1978 when Pissarcik fumbled the hand off to Larry Csonka. They are terrible. The only one with a pulse is Hernandez, and half the time he looks lost out there.

That's not a defense of Eli. He'll go down in Giants lore as the guy who won two SB's (that's Super Bowls, not Saquon Barkleys, because that would just be silly). But, he's done, put a fork in him (no, not literally...please...that would just be unkind and I don't think I could take it after watching how pathetic his older brother looks doing State Farm...no, that's Aaron Rodgers...Allstate...no...that's JoBu...Nationwide, yeah, that's it...commercials).

In all seriousness, Eli reminds me of a washed up Archie Manning donning the Vikings uniform his last season. 'Tis sad, but we'll have two SB Championships over the Fighting Bill Belicheks to remember. And that, my friend, makes me happy. :D
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:25 pm

One final note - they'll be able to draft the kid from Oregon because they'll finish w/ one win, and he's better'n the crop of crap (outside of Mayfield) that this year's draft had at QB.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:35 pm

One more, because I can't resist: no way Lauletta sees the field this year. Alex Tanney is the MAN!

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:37 pm

So I lied...

Goes to show how awesome Saquon (not Super Bowl) is that he almost outgained the Iggles by himself, with almost no help whatsoever.

Love me some Sa-Sa...

Btw: Thoughts/Prayers to Matt Millen.