2018 NFL Season

psu_dad

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby psu_dad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:30 am

I suspect the Giants at every level are questioning signing Beckham to that deal.

It's not hindsight for me. I was against committing years and $$$ to him from Day One.

Perhaps the Giants thought he was just pretending to be an asshole to get what he wanted and would calm down when he got it. They were wrong. He wasn't pretending.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:10 am

Well, it is certainly a mystery why you don't have an NFL GM job.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:24 am

pennstate92 wrote:One more, because I can't resist: no way Lauletta sees the field this year. Alex Tanney is the MAN!

I completely disagree. If Eli does finally get benched they are going to start Lauletta. They have to. Tanney is the back up only because he has experience. But, no one believes he is the future for the franchise. The only option is to play Lauletta, see how he looks, and decide if you need a QB in the draft. I'm 95% sure you do, but I lack dad's GM abilities so who knows.

Regarding the line, they are not good but I think Eli is causing a lot of his own problems. He does not let go of the ball fast enough and is accuracy is awful. And, even when he has time he is not throwing down field. And, defenses know he's not throwing downfield and are not worrying about leaving guys open deep. Bechham's public tantrums are ridiculous, but his basic complaint is not wrong.

In terms of the next QB, the name I hear other than Hebert from Oregon is Daniel Jones from Duke. I've not seen either play so have no idea which one is really better but I suspect one of those 2 will be a Giant this time next year, and probably the starting QB for the Giants. Well, assuming Alex Tanney doesn't win that job! :D

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Well, it is certainly a mystery why you don't have an NFL GM job.

You don't need a PhD in Psychology to recognize a textbook narcissist.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Nope, you don't. It's been obvious since the Giants drafted him that he's a douchebag. They know that when they extended him, which was sort of my point.

They weren't looking for a model citizen and looker room leader when they extended him. They knew that wasn't what they were getting. They signed him because he's a great receiver and with a good team around him he can help you win. The problem is when the team isn't great, like now, he's a massive headache.

My question about regret qas really more focused on if they really grasped Eli was toast. My guess is they didn't, which means Beckham is going to be a big headache until they get someone who can throw him the ball downfield. Maybe that's a year away, maybe it's longer. I question ownerships willingness to be patient with Beckham's antics until then. If they can't fix the QB problem quickly then they would have been better off trading him.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:10 pm

My question about regret qas really more focused on if they really grasped Eli was toast.

It seemed pretty obvious they didn't grasp that when they drafted Barkley, They apparently attributed Eli's decline in performance over recent years to a decline in the overall quality of the team. To be fair to them, it is somewhat of a mystery. The new rules have extended the shelf lives of QBs. They no longer have to take a physical beating. You've got guys older than Eli (like Brees and Brady) still playing at a very high level. And no, I'm not comparing them to Eli. I'm comparing them to themselves when they were younger. And it's not like either of them is a super-human physical specimen.

If Eli has declined, it's not obvious why this happened.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:22 pm

I think that's probably a fair assessment. Eli has never really been hurt and my guess is, in practice, he can make all the throws. But, something isn't the same. I don't think it's just the line, either. To me, just a fan watching on TV, it seems like the game has sped up for him. I think really good QBs can slow it all down, but Eli no longer seems like he has that ability. When you watch him, it looks like everything is rushed for him. That is not a problem that is going to fix itself, either.

As for drafting Barkley, so far he looks like he's the real deal. But, he is not enough to help them win games. It's time to move to a new QB. I doubt the next franchise QB is on the roster right now, but they really need to put that rookie in soon and see what, if anything, he can do. Fan are not going to sit still for another season like this. It's going to start hitting them right in the wallet if they don't do something.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:31 pm

I was with you until the "wallet" part. You're not old enough to remember the Giants of the 1970s. They had a 10-year stretch where they were totally irrelevant and averaged just over 4 wins a season. The problem with bailing on the Giants when they suck is that you're not ever getting your season tickets back when they don't suck.

Same with the Bears and Packers. Some teams are just invulnerable to the normal penalty for sucking.
Klaatu barada nikto

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Um...BW? I think you've lost your sense of humor. I wasn't really annointing Tanney the next Giants QB.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Was watching Giants game and commented to an NYG fan friend that the Giants would be a winning team if they had Dak Prescott - not that Prescott is a top flight QB but his mobility would help offset the issues with the OL and his ability to run would take someone out of coverage and free room for Barkley.

Wentz is mobile - on the Eagles first TD he slipped a sack, sprinted to his right eluding two rushers and zipped a ball into the end zone for a TD. Eli would have fallen down when initial rusher touched him, or would have ben caught by pursuit, if he got the ball off it would have lacked the zip and accuracy and defender would have been able to make a play.

Even when he has protection Eli can't deliver a timely / accurate throw. He's got nothing - physically the game has passed him.

I suspect the Giants don't want to rush Lauletta out there simply because he's not ready yet - but he should be there by year's end. Giant's D didn't help themselves with penalties and on ST cover guy gave up on play and missed chance to recover fumbled punt. The Giants have some talent but they need to execute better and at some point soon they Eli era has to come to and end.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall