2018 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:18 pm

I missed that, but that Sanchez has a job and Kaepernick doesn't still makes my point.

Also, if it wasn't for bad luck the Redskins would have no luck at all.
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:29 am

Blue&White wrote:I missed that, but that Sanchez has a job and Kaepernick doesn't still makes my point.

Also, if it wasn't for bad luck the Redskins would have no luck at all.

Let's say you own a business. One day an employee decides to go rouge. In doing so he/she calls the media to your office building, during work hours, and starts making controversial political statements and make highly divisive gestures. The media then broadcasts this all over the airwaves. This suddenly turns your happy business upside down. You now at the center of a firestorm due to all the negative attention. Half of your customer base has either stopped doing business with you or is threatening to boycott your business.

My question is, as the business owner, how long would said employee be employed at your firm, even if you agreed with him/her?

Obviously I don't want anyone to get hurt and I feel awful for Smith and McCoy. But as far as the Deadskins themselves go, eff them. That's what they get for signing a child abuser and domestic violence offender. Dan Snyder is a true piece of shit and it was a joy to watch the Super Bowl champions curb stomp their asses.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:12 am

Say you work for an employer who takes money from the government to put on displays of patriotism and requires you to participate. This has nothing to do with your job, is outside your job description and you are in a union with and the collective bargaining agreement doesn't require you to do this. And, say you have a beef with certain aspects of society that are enforced by said government at the point of a gun.

The NFL literally sells patriotism for the purpose of helping recruiting. And, Kaepernick didn't object to any of that. His protests had nothing to do with the military. It was twisted buy people with an agenda of changing the subject away from the use of lethal force by police against minorities.

As for the Redskins, I agree. Everyone knows the only kind of criminal a owner can support is one who tortures defenseless animals, including electrocuting and drowning them. An owner who who shrugs that off is a guy we can all get behind. But, domestic abuse? We don't want to associate with those types of people. Well, at least so far we don't. I'm sure the door is open for the inevitable change of heart depending on players available.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:42 am

I don't think the Sanchez signing proves your point though. The Skins needed a backup-quick after Smith broke his leg and McCoy became the starter. Several of the coaches on the team had worked with Sanchez and he does have a winning playoff record. In an emergency you go with someone you are familiar with and who at least knows part of your system.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:53 am

The NFL literally sells patriotism for the purpose of helping recruiting. And, Kaepernick didn't object to any of that. His protests had nothing to do with the military. It was twisted buy people with an agenda of changing the subject away from the use of lethal force by police against minorities.

It's possible to disapprove of BOTH the NFL's marketing of patriotism AND Kaepernick's antics. On the occasion I tune in, I don't want social or political theater. I just want to watch a f---ing football game.

PS - And the choreographed TD celebrations are a total clown show.
PPS - Get off my lawn.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 am

True, you can dissaprove of both. But, I would point out that it used to be NFL players sat in the locker room. And, they never used to show the national anthem. Outside of a playoff game, I don't think they really do show it. I can't recall the last time I saw the National Anthem on a televised sporting event outside of a championship game or series. People tuning in would never have known about it and it wouldn't have been much of an issue either way if Trump hadn't gone out of his way to use it for his own purposes. That doesn't change peoples feelings on it, most likely, but it's not like it's in your face.

But, ultimately, sports are entertainment. If you're not entertained then don't watch. I don't care if the NFL goes down, to be honest. The only thing about the whole thing that bugged me was Trump using the office of the President to try and dicate what is and is not acceptable speech and forms of protest in this country. Talk about infringing on freedoms.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:44 am

I suspect Trump is also the reason the Japanese Junipers I planted last Spring didn't take. The twerp.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:50 am

No, that's because you suck at gardening.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 am

I enjoy it ... but I really do suck at it.
Klaatu barada nikto

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Blue&White wrote:But, ultimately, sports are entertainment. If you're not entertained then don't watch. I don't care if the NFL goes down, to be honest. The only thing about the whole thing that bugged me was Trump using the office of the President to try and dicate what is and is not acceptable speech and forms of protest in this country. Talk about infringing on freedoms.

Sports are not entertainment for me! Movies, sitcoms, and the circus are entertainment. I don't want to be entertained by my sporting teams. I want them to kick ass. I don't need a pony show, Just show up and kick ass. Continue with your Dump talk

BTW, don't look now but the Eagles might be back!!!