2018 NFL Season

PSUgrower

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 am

I hope Nick Foles does not go to the Giants next year :(

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 am

I had not considered that possibility. But, now that you say it, I can absolutely see that as an option. Only if they cut Eli, though, and I don't see that happening.
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Blue&White wrote:
This is what amazes me so much about the Kaepernick outrage. People go crazy over a peaceful, nonviolent protest on social injust and start calling for boycotts of the NFL. But, as long as they stand at attention at the right moment no one says "boo" about the littany of off-the-field issues. Take a knee? It's an outrage? Beat the shit out of your wife or girlfriend? Well, I'm I don't condone it but I'll probably still watch on Sunday.

I think more of the problem was the NFL completely mishandled this issue (surprise, surprise). And they are still paying for it.

Kaepernick and his crew were allowed to sit/kneel during the anthem and Kaepernick once even wore pig socks at practice. Nothing was done by the NFL. Yet, when the Cowboys wanted to wear a sticker on their helmets commemorating the five Dallas cops who were murdered the NFL threatened to drop an anvil on the team. Hell, they even threatened to do the same to a Titans player who wanted to wear 9/11 tribute cleats on the anniversary of 9/11. This gave the perception, fair or not, the NFL was taking an anti-law enforcement stance.

For that matter, Kaepernick was even seen at a press conference wearing a shirt with Fidel Castro - a brutal dictator who ran a vicious police state that killed tens of thousands of people and unjustly imprisoned and tortured tens of thousands more - on it. Yet, RGIII was told to remove a shirt with Jesus, the ultimate Prince of Peace, on it before he could attend a PC. (And, see I actually said something nice about the Cowboys and Redskins).

Therefore, whether you agree with the protests or not, I can see why conservatives believed their views were being discriminated against by the NFL. As much as I support gun control the Bob Costas rant about the issue during SNF was awkward and out of place and quite frankly should have never been authorized by the league.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:17 pm

My point was more about priorities than it was anything about the NFL and what they did or did not do. The reality is that there is no mass call for boycotts over the blatant mysogony of the NFL and there are calls for boycotts over Kapernick's protest. And, the differences you cite in the NFL's behavior are not examples of hypocrisy. They are examples of effective propoganda and manipulation by groups that benefit from the constant sense of outrage in this country. Believe it or not, those groups exist on both sides of the spectrum. For the record, the NFL never prevented RGIII from wearing a Jesus t-shirt. All the examples you cite have been exaggerated and taken out of context. You can disagree with the NFL's rules and you can disagree with Kaepernick and that's all fine. But, let us please all be intellectually honest about these things and discuss them in the context of actual facts as to what unfolded and why. The issues are not related.

For the record, I don't care if people are offended by Kaepernick. If you are, then you are. If it bothers you enough that you don't want to watch the NFL anymore, I think that is fine. Don't watch. As I've said before, sports are entertainment. If you are not entertained you should do something else with your time. But, let's not pretend all was rosy with the NFL until this.

A better example of this is Nike. Nike has been the poster child for slave and child labor around the globe. They are not unique and they are not alone in these labor practices, but they are probably the most recognizable name. And, there were many people who simply did not care. And, there were people who did and would not buy Nike because of this (I'm in that group). And, then they put Kaepernick in an advert and things went crazy. People who could care less about their labor issues suddenly were burning their Nike apparel. But, more interesting (to me at least) people who did care about their labor practices started to buy Nike products in droves. All because they were manipulated into believing that now, suddenly, a world wide user of slave and child labor, a pusher of sweat shops around the globe, had a social conscious. I call bull shit. What they had was marketing data that said that the number of people who would be happy over this and would buy their stuff far outweighed the people who would be upset and stop buying from them. And so the stock did soar.

People have strange priorities is really my point.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Your point about Nike is dead on.

I am still waiting for the social justice warriors at Nike (and Kap himself) to give a significant pay raise to those predominantly female workers in Vietnam making .80 an hour so the company can sell a pair of shoes for over $100.00.

My feet have seen its last pair of Nikes.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 pm

Here's another one.

LeBron James said NFL owners are old white guys with a slave plantation mentality. Yet, he excuses old white guy Adam Silver who enforces a policy where everyone must stand for the anthem.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:16 pm

The reffing in the Eagles game is an absolute joke shit show. I have no clue how these asshats can screw it up this bad. No call when Foles is tackled with his helmet on the 2 point conversion. And then Graham gets a roughing the passer when he tackles Watson by hitting him in the shoulder. Unreal!!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Who needs a perennial all-pro starting quarterback when you have St. FOLES at the helm?!?!

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:21 pm

FOLES! FOLES! FOLES! FOLES! FOLES!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:23 am

Crowbar wrote:TMZ 3, NFL 0

Keep up the good work, Redskins.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/19/video-eme ... -out-cold/

I am rethinking my original response to this post. Maybe the Redskins really are distancing themselves from the league in terms of who they keep and who they cut. Especially after this.