2018 NFL Season

psu_dad

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:36 pm

I actually kinda/sorta feel bad for Andy Reid. He seems like a nice enough guy and he's a very good coach. But damn. He HAS to win that game. He has a more talented team and he's playing at home against a team that was a bad road team all year.

There a lot of very unhappy red-clad fat guys driving down Interstate 70 right about now.
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:43 pm

I was pro-Andy Reid until he threw David Akers under the bus.

The Eagles lost a playoff game one year due to a few missed Akers FGs. After the game Reid went off on him. The problem though was Akers young daughter was diagnosed with cancer earlier in the week. As such one could understand why the normally reliable Akers was out of sorts that day. Except Reid, for some cold-hearted reason.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:56 pm

That's interesting. I always thought of Reid as more of a "player's coach" than a hard-ass. But he's never coached for a team I follow, so I really wouldn't know.
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Yeah, that was the weird part of it. He always accepted blame. Eagles fans "fondly" remember his PCs after losses always started off with "I've got to do a better job..."

I don't know what the bug up his ass was that day, especially considering the circumstances of Akers' daughter.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:11 am

Ok, I get it. The refs completely missed what should have been a PI or helmet-to-helmet call. But this is getting ridiculous.

Maybe if Sean Payton decided to run run the ball down there, instead of passing it three times, they could have bled the clock down and kicked the FG at the end.

Not to mention the Saints were up by 13, AT HOME, in the NFCCG.

The missed call was awful. But the Saints did plenty of other things to ensure they lost the game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... d=60553364

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:39 am

I have a theory that the reason the NFL kept things like holding and PI off the list of things that could be reviewed is because you could probably find an example of these on almost every play. And the game would become a complete joke if coaches tossed the red flag onto the field every two minutes.

It was a horrible non-call, but it's a little like complaining about the noise at a NASCAR event. Some things are just unavoidable. Bad/inconsistent officiating is an integral part of football. There are way too many "judgement" calls for it ever to be perfect. Hopefully, the one good thing to come out of this will be that Roger "Pantload" Goodell will take grief over it.
Klaatu barada nikto

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:49 pm

The attorney and asshat filing suit against the NFL should have to repay every penny of the court cost to whatever jurisdiction has to hear/read this dumbass filing. Seriously, I get that they are pissed about the no call but try being a PSU fan or an Eagles fan- we have reason to sue an entity over shitty calls by refs. You don't hear us crying.

Btw, now that football is over and the Flyers suck, there is still time to jump on the Sixers wagon! The wagon carries a lot of people and is a blast!

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Sure. Follow that precedent quickly, and maybe we can get a Chiefs-Saints SB instead.
2 games that ended up close and could have gone the other way if reffed differently. :roll:
So what. The valid margin of victory is not "a little better than the other team despite the lean of the officiating", nor is it "a little better than the other team because of the lean of the officiating". It's "scored more points than the other team".

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:08 pm

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but nothing will change the result regardless of right or fair or whatever. The game is over. I undertthe sour grapes as it was a non call that, if called, most likely would have sealed the victory for NO. Blown calls late in a game can have more of an impact to close games because there is less time to recover from it. There should be a mechanism for playoff games at the very least that can address this; something like a protest in baseball that would force immediate league action in extreme situations. I know it is much more complicated than that, but if he goal is for the team players to try to out score the other team, then the officiating needs to be minimized as a factor.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:22 pm

These law suits are going to get tossed instantly. None of these people have standing to sue the NFL for a blown call. The entire idea of it is moronic.

And, Goodell is never, ever going to overturn the outcome of that game. That is beyond moronic. No one knows what happens if that PI is called. The Saints get a first down but that doesn't mean they score. Maybe they run another play and turn it over. Maybe Brees takes a big sack that pushes them back. Maybe they shank a field goal or boink it off the goal post, ala Corey Parkey. You can't just give the Saints the benefit of the doubt and award them 3 points and the game. Things happen all the time. As bad as that non-call was, what is being suggested is even worse. It would be one thing if there was evidence that the refs were in on some kind of fix. Then, maybe, you have a law suit against the NFL. Maybe. But, there is no evidence they were crooked. Just incompetent.

These law suits should be thrown out with prejudice, the NFL awarded court costs and the lawyers filing the suits receiving an official reprimand from the state bar.
Is it baseball season yet?