2018 NFL Season

Nat@PSU

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:56 pm

My third and fourth quarter boxes hit and I walked with some cash. The only redeeming aspect of this game.

God I hate the Patriots.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:20 pm

psu_dad wrote:It was a old-school game of bruising defense and field position. I didn't think such a game was possible in the NFL's flag football era.

The officials allowed Brady to feel some physical contact, which greatly diminished their firepower. I would like to see more of that in the regular season and see how this dynasty does.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm sure the Patriots would welcome that. They won their first three SBs playing that way. They pounded Kurt Warner into hamburger and smacked the Rams receivers all over the field in SB 36. And they molested poor Donovan McNabb in SB 39 and made him throw up on his shoes. Not to mention turning Peyton Manning into a puddle of goo whenever they met in the playoffs.

The Patriots didn't advocate for the current rules that protect QBs and handcuff DBs. The Colts did. They had a finesse team back then and their president (Bill "Pantload" Polian) felt that physical play put them at a disadvantage, particularly against the Patriots. Polian was on the competition committee and used his influence to get the rules changed after the 2004 season. And the game eventually morphed into what we have today, with QBs putting up totally ridiculous numbers.

I don't particularly like the current product, but I'm not in the core NFL demographic. I'm in the old fart demographic. So it's tough noogies for me.
Fire Alex Cora

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:27 pm

I don’t much care for this new age of NFL, but you have to admit that the Patriots have benefited from the quarterback safe zone, even if they didn’t support or encourage the rule.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 pm

but you have to admit that the Patriots have benefited from the quarterback safe zone,

Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:47 pm

Sadly, no. We are into the doldrums where the only light in the tunnel is March Madness, and that is a very dim light for PSU folks.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:50 pm

I think you missed the point of my post, but that's ok.

And, as for the "doldrums" comment, have you checked out my "dad jokes" thread? I am killing it there!
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:00 pm

... you have to admit that the Patriots have benefited from the quarterback safe zone, even if they didn’t support or encourage the rule.

OK. But they "benefited" from the old quarterback-hostile rules, too. Perhaps they're just smarter than most teams. At least the ones not in the NFC East.

It's going to end eventually and then people can direct their hatred at something more worthy ... like the Yankees and the guy who does those fakakta Flex Seal infomercials.

Mrs psu_dad: Why do so many people have the nickname "Pantload"?
Me: I don't know.
Fire Alex Cora

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:18 pm

My older brother didn't teach me much but I should have listened to him about sports teams - he's all Boston (Celts, Sox, Pats)while I was all Baltimore (Colts, Bullets, Orioles) - had some good years back in the Lydell Mitchell, Elvin Hayes, Jim Palmer days but man things have been lean.

Glad I saw the light and now my Boston teams have taken out two Cali teams - if the Celts can take out Golden State we will have the damn tri-fecta.

I know many people didn't like low scoring game but after the season marked by yellow flags I was glad they didn't call ticky tack PI and didn't flag every hard hit.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:40 pm

The Sixers are going this year and then Boston will fall apart when Kyrie leaves town :D