2018 NFL Season

sameoldlama

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:18 am

Actually if you look at Giants moves in totality it's not too bad:

Traded Vernon for Zeitler
Let Collins go FA (yeah they should have traded him)
Traded OBJ for a 1st, 3rd, Peppers

So they lost DL, DB, WR - all very good players but all very high dollar, one an unpredictable PITA with injury issues and one coming off surgery.

Peppers fills in the DB need much cheaper for a couple years
Zeitler helps position of need at OL
Giants have extra upper round picks in a draft loaded with DL talent so that can be addressed

If the Giants still have their own 2nd and 3rd they have 5 picks in about Top 75 overall picks? Could be a quick rebuild and they opened up some cap space.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:26 am

I agree. That was my take yesterday. The dumped some older players, some injury risk players, and one giant headache. I would be annoyed by the OBJ move if I thought they could compete in 19 but, realitiscally, they can't. They need a QB and that is going to be a bit of a process. All indications are that next year has some better QBs coming out, so it pays to wait. If they do better than expected and are not in a great draft position, they have some draft picks they can trade to move up.

These are not "win in 2019" moves. These are "build a team that can win going forward" moves. I'm ok with it.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:43 am

Actually if you look at Giants moves in totality it's not too bad

No, not if you resign yourself to them being at least 3 seasons away from being a serious team. And once Eli is gone, that frees up 23M of cap space. Having a young QB on his initial contract is a big advantage (unless he sucks).
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:48 am

I'm not convined it's 3 seasons. It is really going to depend on what happens with the QB positions. Drafting QBs - and even signing FA QBs - involves a whole lot of luck. Most draft picks are busts. And, most FA signings really don't work out. I think one of the reasons the Giants are so reluctant to move on from Eli is because they can see the number of teams who have not been able to find a franchise QB despite several attempts to do so. How many busts have the Jets had? How many have the Bills had? And, the Lions have a QB but, despite that, they can't win a damn thing. So, moving on from Eli is a big risk. I think an average Eli is likely better than whatever they may get. But, at some point they are going to have to bite the bullet and start over.

If they get a good QB, they can be a playoff team in 2020. I doubt they win the conference with a rookie, but they can be playing meaningful football in December of 2020 with a good pick. If they add a veteran who can actually play (and there are not many left to chose from) it can be sooner. We will see, I guess.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:51 am

I'm not convined it's 3 seasons.

Perhaps not, but it's more likely than two.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:58 am

Maybe.

The thing about the NFL is players move around so much that you can go from a bad team to a good team in a very short amount of time. All it really takes is a competent front office (the jury is out on that one) and a good QB (uh oh).

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:08 pm

Everything has to go right for the Giants to be a serious team in 2020. They have to totally nail all their draft picks ... they have to land a quality QB ... and some quality offensive lineman ... and some quality receivers ... etc. They can't whiff on any moves they make to go from dreadful in 2019 to a playoff team in 2020.

I'm not convinced Gettleman is whiff-proof.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm not convinced Gettleman is whiff-proof.

On the contrary, he's already whiffed on the Landon Collins thing. I don't know if I buy he had an offer of a 1st round pick last season, but given all the trades they did there is no way they couldn't have moved him and got something of value. Insetad, they just let him walk for nothing in return. Big, big whiff. I agree that 2020 is a reach and everything has to go right. I'm just saying that it's in the realm of possiblity.

Btw, you should pay careful attention to the Giants becuase this is the future for the Patriots. Once Brady goes, they will have to start this process and it's not going to be easy. It never is.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:52 pm

I just feel sorry for Barkley, as the offense is now a one-trick pony. Even if that pony is more like Secretariat in this case. I'd hate to see years of his career go to waste while they retool the rest of the team.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pm

Giants have two decent OL in Solder and Hernandez and now picked up Zeitler -so they are building a line. If healthy they have a decent TE and Shepard is a decent WR.

Offensively they can't miss on the QB - Eli killed them - he's slow to get rid of the ball, was a statue in the pocket and was scared to death to take a hit. If they upgrade at QB they defacto upgrade at WR and OL. Again - 5 picks in Top 80 and two in Top 17. Even if they go QB with their first pick they could get 2-3 guys that play right away and contribute.

Beckham is high risk / high reward - when things are going right the guy will be a human highlight reel and excite the team and fans - when there is adversity you can fully expect on field temper tantrums and off field distractions.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall