2018 NFL Season

sameoldlama

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:42 pm

If I'm correct and there is a Tony Luke's in Philly airport (or was) - he, Geno and Pat would all get chased out of the Lehigh Valley - their meat to bun ratio is criminally off, the meat quality is subpar and the cheese they use is a biohazard. No wonder even fans that are dead drunk opt for horse poop after a game.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Believe it or not, there are two Original Philly Cheesesteak joints in the Harrisburg area; one downtown and the other on Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg. Both are very good and comparable to what I've experienced in Philadelphia. Although owned by the same guy, the joint on Carlisle Pike has a better meat-to-bun ratio than its sister location, and the cheese whiz is only the finest grade of processed cheese. I've personally investigated this matter and observed it to be consistently true. Llama makes a good point about the importance of the meat-to-bun ratio, does he not?
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:40 pm

My son took me to Tony Luke's because he said it was a notch above Pat's and Geno's. I'm no authority, but the meat to bun ratio seemed more than adequate to me. And provolone was thankfully an option (vs pretend cheese).

Mad's comment about quality varying from location to location is something I've noticed with other franchises. I love the pizza at Bertucci's, There's a small one in the center of my town and a large one in the next town over. I prefer to drive the extra 10 minutes to the large one. Their pizza is consistently better.

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Mad the place in roxborough is called D'allesandros, there's better places than Pats and Geno's, Philips is one, John's Roast Pork in addition to great pork sandwiches makes an excellent cheesesteak

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:28 pm

John's on 3rd is my favorite cheesesteak place. Pat's and Geno's are both overrated IMO.
Is it baseball season yet?

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Ishkabibble's on South St.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:48 pm

In a less than stellar debut, Matt Patrcia's Lions are getting their asses kicked by the NY Jets (of all teams). And his 25M-per QB has 4 INTs.
God bless Lions fans. What a Horror Show. :lol:

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:46 am

Pat's / Geno's / Tony Luke's are tourist traps - you are much better off going with a neighborhood place like ones Delco recommend.

The meat to bun ratio and meat quality are absolute make or breaks - Pat's / Geno's and the TL I experienced were basically inadequate amount of meat - the bun completely dominates and the you barely taste the meat. Geno's and Pat's meat is about a step above Steak-Um. If this was served by a local place in my town the owner would be taken the PA / NJ bridge and thrown in the river. The meat should be at a level that it is pushing he roll open and needs to be lightly pressed in with a fork to keep it from falling out during consumption. Pat's and Geno's is the Pop Tart of steak sandwiches vs the Toaster Strudel. One nails the fruit filling to pastry ratio and the other is a barely flavored dry crust.

The roll needs to be soft and fresh - crusty rolls or rolls which were frozen and defrosted just don't cut it. My experience has been local joints that source from a local Italian bakery have the best rolls. A really good operation will drain the grease or slightly dry the meat post cook so the moisture does not compromise the integrity of the median on the bun base causing it to split open.

Condiments fall in to a personal choice but again - quality and proportion are important - these ingredients should compliment the meat and enhance the flavor by accenting it - they should not compete with the meat for primary flavor or dominate it.

For me - assuming a beef steak sandwich - marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese and if onions - copped and raw (I don't like cooked onions they get greasy / oily). The meat should be finely chopped and every bite should have a consistent blend of bun / meat / sauce / cheese / onion. Now if I go chicken cheesesteak I want to see either nice chicken tender or real chicken breast in there and here I will go with American cheese. I can't remember the name of the place but there was an Irish deli in Avalon (Sullivans?) that had awesome chicken cheesesteaks. There's a place in my Bethlehem that is off the charts.

And yes - aside from protein smoothies this is about the only other food item - maybe other than ice cream - that I can comment on.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:55 am

... and if onions - copped and raw (I don't like cooked onions they get greasy / oily).

Sweet Merciful Jeezus.

If you tried to sell someone an Italian sausage sub/hoagie/grinder around here and the peppers & onions weren't at least lightly sauteed in olive oil, you would be risking criminal charges and a long and well-deserved prison sentence.

-------------------

PS - The Tony Luke's I went to didn't seem like a tourist trap. Half the patrons were chubby guys wearing Eagles jerseys. And the line at their concession stand at Shibe Park is usually a mile long. As opposed to the Crab Fries concession line which is two miles long. Phillies fans really like to eat, apparently. That said, I've also noticed that the one-of-a-kind sammich shops around here are generally better than the chains. Not always, but generally.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Condiments fall in to a personal choice

Except for ketchup on hotdogs, which is we all agree is morally wrong and should be met with stiff criminal penalties.
Is it baseball season yet?