It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:03 pm Advanced search

Former Players Thread

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Former Players Thread

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Great story. Another Penn State over-achiever who surpassed expectation while wearing Blue & White and now this.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby underlion » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:37 pm

And look how he talks. 'Happy to fill in for Tiko'. Just doing my job ...

I was asking myself this morning why it is there are so many PSU Linebackers in the NFL. These are not 4 and 5 star recruits typically. Is it discipline and a certain level of intelligence? Leadership ability? Coaching has changed so you can't say it is coaching. We really do have an inordinate amount of LB's in the NFL?
underlion

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:08 pm

Ron Vanderlin coached the majority of them so I'd say coaching had something to do with it.

I would say him and LJ, Sr. - players got better every year.
reincarnatedlama

Postby pennst92 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:08 am

Linebacker U

Unfortunately, the importance of the DLine has grown with the rising popularity of the read option, so LBs, while still important, really fill a supplemental role. Wonder how this will play out moving forward. We've seen what happens when we don't have enough linebackers - hope we can add a couple of good ones this recruiting cycle and next (I know we have 3 verbals in this year's class...).
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby underlion » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:38 pm

I don't disagree that Vanderlin and LJ did a good job but PSU seems to continue to develop NFL LB's since them.
underlion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Can't disagree more with the statement that LBs are a "supplemental" role. Football hasn't changed that much. Yes, you may need different style players to play DL but their job is always going to be to disrupt running lanes and put pressure on the QB in passing situations. But LBs are the ones who are then freed up to make the play. That's a linebacker's job, to make the tackle. Tackles from linemen are sort of a "bonus" because they beat their man enough to actually make the tackle. But their main job is to allow the LB to do theirs.
Shore Lion

Postby pennst92 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:29 pm

Are you sure you can't disagree more? What if I said, 'Lee Harvey Oswald' acted alone?

:p
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:11 pm

David Carr has a broken leg and is out for the season. Matt McGloin is now the Raiders QB. Here is an article from someone who doesn't know anything about Matt McGloin. I know it doesn't look good but McGloin is the guy I'd never count out.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby SouthernLion » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Tim Shaw has written a book, Blitz for Life, that will become available for purchase on Sunday. Some details can be seen in this article:

http://www.titansonline.com/news/articl ... 6c20d691a8

Tim Shaw is awesome.
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:58 pm

A whole book that let's us Feel The 57?! Yes!
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room