It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 4:53 pm Advanced search

Sandusky and the aftermath thread

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Sandusky and the aftermath thread

Postby pennst92 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm hopeful with all the verdicts/pleas in we can move on from this thread and look forward to football.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:41 pm

It would make me happy if this thread disappeared for good and we never heard that name mentioned again. Ever.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Blue&White » Fri May 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Putting this here because it is just another punch in the eye. This was the headline story on ABC news online.

New details emerge in horrific Penn State fraternity death

<sigh>

This can happen anywhere, but I guess that's not really the point.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat May 06, 2017 1:18 pm

More fake news? Agenda driven slants on reporting or outright character assassination by major media. PSU has become calloused to it by now but it doesn't make it any better or correct. Either report the real news in a fair, even manner, the facts only, not slants and digs or state its your opinion openly and often. This is what is happening with our alleged news across the board, not just PSU related issues. Cronkite said it best after retiring, he missed "shaping of the news" most of all!
Carl Spackler

Postby Blue&White » Sat May 06, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm not sure what's fake news here. It happened. There is video. And, these 18 students have been criminally charged. That's a matter of public record. And, it happened at Penn State, or at least at a fraternity filled with Penn State students. And, a kid is dead who should not be.

I really don't follow your point. All this happened. Pointing it out is not a "character assassination". It's accurate reporting. What is the slant here? What is the dig or the opinion? Whether or not it should be the top story of ABC online is a matter of subjective opinion, I guess, but I'm really ok with it. What was the bigger story that they buried to report this one do you think?

These types of incidents have been going on for as long as I can recall. My freshman year at PSU there was a similar death at Rutgers. and it was big news then. Reporting brings awareness. Kids die in these stupid fraternity initiations every year. That's not an exaggeration. There is at least one death from pledging and hazing every single year and over 80% of those deaths are the result of drinking. There are websites that track these statistics back to the 70s. In terms of raw numbers vs. the numbers of kids who pledge fraternities, the % is pretty small. But, that's small consolation to parents and I suspect a lot of people just get lucky.

Anyway, I disagree it's a character assassination of any kind. It happened. It's an issue and reporting it brings awareness. I think we should be more upset that it happened and a kid died and less upset that it made the news and people are aware of it.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Shore Lion » Sat May 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Yeah "fake news" is a strange comment. Unfortunate that it's PSU but it happened. PSU is big news in whatever it does, good and bad. That's the price of success. It is weird though that one of the team's trainers, Tim Bream, was living at the frat at the time. He was not charged (apparently knew nothing about it). I saw a story that he had recently separated from his wife but I'm thinking he makes enough to not have to live at a frat and work as a "senior residential advisor."
Shore Lion

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am

Reading more details about this. Seems one of the other pledges kept saying they needed to call 911 and the others refused. His story is they cared more about staying out of trouble than getting help for this kid. The whole situation just looks increasingly worse with each story. One kid is dead, and the rest will probably have a criminal record follow them for the rest of their lives.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun May 07, 2017 11:39 am

"May no deed of ours bring shame.....".

This story sickens me. One of the pledges kept asking someone to call 911. Reportedly, one of the brothers slammed him into a wall and said the situation was under control.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Sun May 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Clearly something very tragic occurred but at this stage you've only heard from the prosecution and the school (who will scapegoat these students with lightening like speed). Similar to the Minnesota rape case you had big splash headlines at the start but some heavy digging needs to be done to sort criminal behavior from stupid behavior. I suspect prosecutors are throwing down heavy charges on a high number of people in hopes someone will roll. And like the Minnesota case I think in the end the case will narrow down to a few "main actors" and they will drop charges on a number of kids. From the story presented by prosecutors it does appear multiple people were aware the victim was in some form of distress - the question will be should they have reasonablebly known it was a level which required immediate medical attention and did their inaction or actions (moving him) contribute to his death (or would he have died even if they had immediately acted).
I think this kid giving interviews saying he pleaded with people to call 911 needs to get a lawyer who tells him STFU - he is basically saying he recognized the severity of the situation, knew the proper action to take and failed to take it. Saying I told someone else to do it, they told me not to do it doesn't really make you sound all that great.

When I was at PSU we had a guy who took a serious fall after a party - we all suspected he went up on roof to drink / smoke weed and fell off and the guy up there with him concocted a story of how he woke up early (like 6am Sunday - a time no guy in the house is up) to get breakfast and found him on his couch to avoid getting in trouble. But to this guy's credit he did take him to the hospital. The guy had serious injuries and it could of had a similar ending to this story if medical treatment had been delayed. Fortunately he made a full recovery.

Sadly for the victim here and these other kids no one had the sense to say - "we got to bite the bullet on this and take him to a hospital" - chances are if he survives and didn't have any serious injuries there would have been minimal blowback.

I was in a frat and I was a blast - but in this day and age I can see them being phased out - just simply too much of a liability risk for Universities and the National fraternities.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 07, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm sure the final resolution will differ from the initial charges, but there is still a dead kid and you can bet more ruined lives coming. I'd be surprised if a number of these kids don't end up pleading guilty to something that lasts on their records.

As for the kid talking, my sense is he already told his story, and what he did and didn't do, to the DA. But, I agree public statements are not his friend.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room