It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:57 pm Advanced search

Sandusky and the aftermath thread

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Sandusky and the aftermath thread

Postby reincarnatedlama » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:40 am

Campus police (Tom Harmon) worked with DA and SC police because the incident happened on campus (Rec Hall). And the chain could have been Harmon -> Schultz -> Curley -> Paterno. So if Paterno got it 3rd hand it was likely very watered down.

I'd like to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, and yes particularly Joe but I would ask any a simple question - if you went to your legal counsel and they gave you advice to report what would you do? You'd either report or get a second opinion. You wouldn't say - eh, we'll just wag are finger at him and say don't do it again - even though that's what was done in 98 and he did it again anyway.

For me there is just no longer any logical or plausible explanation for their inaction other than they didn't want this going public. I am guessing they hoped someone else would catch and report him - which happened - unfortunately 10 years and many victims later.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby pennst92 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:59 am

All of this is morbidly interesting. I feel really detached from my era at Penn State. Frankly, I've come to grips with the idea that Joe (by his own admission) did not do enough to protect the victims, and that some blame for this spiraling out of control lies with him.

Being a natural skeptic, I question Curley's and Schultz's motivation - cop a plea deal, take down the fmr Pres of Penn State and call it a day. That said, I think Spanier's screwed.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:03 am

I'd like to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, and yes particularly Joe but I would ask any a simple question - if you went to your legal counsel and they gave you advice to report what would you do? You'd either report or get a second opinion. You wouldn't say - eh, we'll just wag are finger at him and say don't do it again - even though that's what was done in 98 and he did it again anyway.

Is it confirmed that actually happened? And, if so, who did legal talk to? Did they talk to Spanier?

I also have no desire to make excuses for these guys, but I just can't believe it's so black and white as "hey, let's cover this up because it will make us look bad". And, I don't even get how it would make them look bad. Sandusky didn't work for them anymore. He was an ex-employee. Had they reported it then best case they are heroes and worst case they are people who found out a former employee did something horrible and they did the right thing and turned them in and good for them. What was the down side here? That he was on campus all those year? "We didn't know" is a plausible explanation given that trained professionals in social services and the DAs office didn't figure it out. It just doesn't make sense they would cover this up over publicity. Maybe it happened, but I just don't get it.

I don't know. Whatever the verdict is with Spanier, I hope justice is really served by it.

92 - I'm a skeptic too but you don't need to be a skeptic to question the motivations of 2 people who are testifying after cutting a deal to probably stay out of prison.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:54 am

I am catching up on these while I wait for this morning's proceedings to hit the web. Lots of interesting comments, but this one struck me...

Blue&White wrote: Had they reported it then best case they are heroes and worst case they are people who found out a former employee did something horrible and they did the right thing and turned them in and good for them.

If I remember correctly, this was the main attitude regarding JoePa and MM for the first day or so until whatshisname from the State Police announced Joe, while meeting the legal requirements, failed in his moral obligation.

Aside from that, I also struggle to accept that JoePa and/or Spanier would have actively covered this up. I have been wrong before, but I just can't see it. Too many things don't add up. Maybe I just don't want them to add up; I don't know.
LioninVa

Postby reincarnatedlama » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Well we all know they didn't report it. We all know most, if not all of them knew about the 98 investigation. We know McQ told them enough they contacted legal and felt some course of action preventing Sandusky from bringing kids on campus was warranted (if you didn't think he was potentially molesting them why would you ban him from bringing a kid to a football practice) and we all know they didn't do Emmert when he kept bringing kids on campus.

I will see if I can find link of Courtney saying he advised them to report but as I said - for me - I just can't find a way to defend guys anymore. I wish I could but I can't.
reincarnatedlama

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:38 pm

The only good to come from the trials is a completion of the process finally. This has hung over all PSU family like a black cloud daily. Not that all will be sweetness and light when its over but the final steps will be in place and then the media can ONLY reminisce about it, not actively, self-righteously prosecute it as an ongoing issue. This is the step I've been waiting for since early Nov., 2011.

I hearken back to circa 2002 reading a post on BWI McAndrews board that an event happened that would take down the football program. I thought it was a ludicrous comment from a person seeking attention, I was wrong. Boy was I wrong. The damage to children, the damage to the school and everyone involved is enormous. Who could have envisioned this and the following trashing of PSU as a new media sport.

In the end I ask for what I've always asked for, the truth. Let is fall wherever it may but I want the truth, all of it. That is the only way to truly have any sort of a completion. The press will still bring it up but we will be past the monthly process of ripping the scab off of the wound with something new because the trials were delayed and justice was not served.

"May no act of ours bring shame, to one heart that loves thy name. May our lives but swell thy fame, Dear Old State, Dear Old State"
Carl Spackler

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Well said, Carl.

The defense rested without calling a witness. I'm not sure what that means aside from the fact that they felt strong after the prosecution wrapped up.
LioninVa

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 pm

Here is the Penn Live write up on the trial to date. That does not paint a picture of a case that is going to get a conviction, but tough to really say as this is just one person's perception of the event. But, reading that, I'd say it's likely Spanier walks.

I guess we will see. If the defense rested, then there should be a verdict by mid-next week at the latest. Probably Monday.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:28 am

Surprised the DA made deals with Curley and Schultz that didn't bring more to the table in terms of Spanier. It seems he would have been better served taking Curley and Schultz to trial with McQ testifying he told them he witnessed molestation. As it stands you still have Schultz and Curley denying McQ told them he witnessed molestation so clearly they won't testify they told Spanier that.

Still clear to me they knew they had a problem on their hands and handled it using the Catholic Church game plan.

So:
McQ witnesses the act, doesn't intervene, doesn't go to police - ever and winds up with $12MM
Curley and Schultz fail to report and won't do time and keeping cashing pension checks
Spanier may walk and has been collecting paycheck and accruing pension benefits

So four guys who Baracked up badly (and I get they've been through hell over this) may all walk away from this free men with everything but their reputations.

Can't wait when the tell all book comes out.
reincarnatedlama

Postby reincarnatedlama » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 am

http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania/ ... ky-schultz

Article on the many things Wendell Courtney claimed
reincarnatedlama

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room