It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 1:33 am Advanced search

Other Penn State Sports Teams

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Other Penn State Sports Teams

Postby PennState03Chris » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Some updates for the Fall 2012 teams...

Women's volleyball hosted the Nike Big Four tournament last weekend. They beat #9 Stanford in 5 sets and swept #2 Texas. The main pieces are still in place and a year older - Setter Micha Hancock, Outside Hitters Deja McClendon and Ariel Scott, and Middle Blocker Katie Slay. They also have a freshman outside hitter who has seen a lot of early time in Megan Courtney. The women's volleyball team is currently ranked #2 in the country, up from #4 last week. Nebraska is #1. Other Big Ten teams ranked are #11 Purdue, #14 Minnesota (now coached by Hugh McCutcheon, who led the US Men to 2008 Olympic gold, and the US Women to 2012 Olympic Silver - I would expect Minnesota to return to the Final Four sooner rather than later), #20 Illinois, and #23 Michigan.

Men's soccer is unranked, but is 3-1-1 on the year, with their lone loss to #13 Georgetown.

Women's soccer is 4-1, with their lone loss to #1 Stanford. They opened with a win over then #7 Virginia. They've thus far been playing without their best player, Maya Hayes, and and one of their best players, Taylor Schram, who are both currently finishing up with the U-20 US National Team as they try to help the US win the U-20 World Cup against Germany tomorrow morning.

Field hockey is 3-2 on the year. They are ranked #8 in the country, with wins over #5 Old Dominion and #6 Virginia, and losses to #7 UConn and #4 Princeton.

A side note... The NCAA is pondering changing how they crown the NCAA wrestling team national champion. There is a proposal on the table to have two NCAA championship events. One for teams (it would be a 16 team dual tournament, with the first round on campuses and the final rounds held over two days in one location). This would be a re-branding of the current National Duals tournament which is put on by the national coaches association. There would be a second event which is the current one that would crown the individual champions in different weight classes and would crown the "coach's" national champion team. The changes are being proposed to try to grow the sport. Fwiw, Cael is firmly against the changes. His main opposition point has been that the 16-team dual tournament would exclude many of the smaller programs who are the very ones who need the help to stay afloat. For example, Cael had PSU skip the National Duals this past year to travel to Utah to take on a smaller local college/university there. He thinks that having the Penn States and Iowas of the world travel to and compete against some of the smaller schools in states without a traditional college power will grow the sport more than changing the format that's been in place since the Great Depression.
PennState03Chris

Re: Other Penn State Sports Teams

Postby oldlioness » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:35 pm

#1 WVB swept #17 Purdue tonight, and Men's Hockey dropped its Div 1 opener 3-2 in OT to AIU.
oldlioness

Postby PennState03Chris » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:39 am

And, I'll add that the women's hockey program opened up D1 play last week at Vermont. They won their first game, while dropping the second game.
PennState03Chris

Postby LaVarLB11 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:04 am

Anyone know if they are selling PSU ice hockey jerseys?
LaVarLB11

Postby Nittany Flier » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:42 pm

I wish I had found out sooner PSU hockey was playing in Wilkes-Barre. I would have enjoyed going to that and taking my granddaughter.
Still Penn State Proud
Nittany Flier

Postby PennState03Chris » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:30 am

Open practice interview with Pat Chambers

Should be a fun season, although the Big Ten is awfully tough. Indiana is ranked #1, Ohio State #4 and Michigan #5. Regardless of how we do, you have to love Pat Chambers' energy.
PennState03Chris

Postby pennst92 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:50 am

Yeah - he's kind of flown under the radar with all the drama. Definitely an energy guy, seems like a good recruiter, but lost one of his prized verbals over the summer for 2013, and Geno Thorpe moved to FL for his senior season, if my memory serves.

Sadly, another recruiting year for the cagers I believe.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby MKH » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 am

PSU Hockey is 2-2, split with AIC last week then split a Western New York road trip with a loss to Buff State and a win over RIT.

I'd like to go to the tournament in Pittsburgh over the holidays but price is pretty steep. I'll be in Lock Haven for Thanksgiving but they're not at home.
MKH

Postby oldlioness » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Congrats to the Women's Soccer Team on their 15th B1G Championship!

http://twitpic.com/b69wlw/full
oldlioness

Postby Nittany Flier » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Well the mens bb team just got considerably worse. Tim Frazier is out the rest of the year. He ruptured an Achilles tendon during the last game.
Still Penn State Proud
Nittany Flier

Next

Return to The Locker Room