It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:00 am Advanced search

Other Penn State Sports Teams

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Other Penn State Sports Teams

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Yes I did and it was SWEET to silence the 15K crowd the Big 2 network noted every thirty seconds or so. As if the crowd was actually wrestling or had some impact. Bo, did you see what he did with his hand to his ear post Iowa pin? The old, where it your cheering now ear. Same size crowd I believe and a big pin that night yet I suspect his win at OSU over the kid who he allowed to spoil his NCAA final match.

The silent OSU crowd for 70% of the evening was very sweet to listen to as our wrestlers schooled them over and over.

Love to watch those young men wrestle offensively, trying to score points all the time vs. the paint drying Iowa method of stall and wait for a take down and escape from the down position or riding time to wrap up another 3-2 win. Boring.
Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:59 pm

We wrestle Maryland tomorrow and then the National Duals against Okie State for the Wrestling National Championship Dual meet of the year. After that the Big 10 Matches and then the NCAA's which will be incredible challenging to bring home a championship either individually or as a team.

We have some great young men wrestling at the top of their games right now. Will it be enough for individual championships? I believe several will attain that pinnacle of success. Will we score enough points for another team championship? That is in question now but we certainly have the firepower to do so given the right breaks. All of these upcoming events portend to be wildly exciting and tense to the end as the results are counted. The next month of PSU wrestling is jam packed with excitement.
Carl Spackler

Postby underlion » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:25 pm

I don't know about the OK State match but I think we have to be the favorite at the NCAA's because of the way the team scores bonus points. Gulibon and McCutcheon need to go deep. Too bad we lost Cortez at 133 to injury but the addition of Hall helps. Nice to have a HWT that should compete. Should be interesting to watch.
underlion

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Wrestlers punish Maryland for even showing up, 45-6, incl five consecutive pins. :D
SouthernLion

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Read that the National Duals Match won't be televised live. That is a shame as it would have been a great showcase for the sport and PSU.
Carl Spackler

Postby underlion » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Emmerit giving up a chance to make $. Oh wait PSU is playing.
underlion

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Actually I heard it was NBC declined it right to broadcast and the BTN doesn't have rights to broadcast or likely it would have appeared there.

If Emmert or Delaney had anything to do with positive PSU presence it was Emertt canned immediately, what a Delaney.
Carl Spackler

Postby underlion » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Wow what a wrestling match that must have been. Totally dominated OK State. Could easily have been 33-4 but we started down 13-0. Kudos to Carpenter. Hope Suriano can get better for Nationals. I suppose he is qualified so he doesn't need to wrestle the B10 Championship.
underlion

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Heard either a very bad sprain or as he told the coaches "I just broke my ankle, then continued the match, for a time". Tough kid but his availability for the Big 10's or the NCAA is questionable at best right now. More to come.

Bo Nickal, wow, pin in 38 seconds. That is the second 38 second pin recently for Bo.

Plus, David Taylor won the 82Kg World Championship with a pin in the finals. He looks like a beast adding muscle from his college days.
Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Track Wrestling Follow Up of the National Duals Wrestling Match: The Lions Roared

Penn State showed Sunday exactly why the Nittany Lions will be title favorites yet again next month at the NCAA Championships, posting a dominating 27-13 win over previously unbeaten Oklahoma State in the NWCA Division I Dual Championship Series.

The latest group of Lions is akin to the Murderers’ Row of the 1927 New York Yankees, a relentless lineup with legendary stars like Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig and top-to-bottom strength that rarely provided opponents with an opportunity to relax.

A 2-1 victory by returning NCAA champion Zain Retherford against No. 2 Anthony Collica began a string of seven consecutive Penn State wins. Jason Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Mark Hall and Bo Nickal — a quartet with a collective 75-5 record this season — looked impressive as the Nittany Lions rallied from a 13-0 deficit.

“We are always excited to get to go out and compete in front of large crowds with knowledgeable fan bases — that’s what I look forward to,” said Nickal, who countered a Nolan Boyd single-leg shot with a cradle and scored a fall in 38 seconds at 184 pounds. “It was an awesome environment. It was rough starting out with Nick (Suriano) getting injured, but we knew we had a lot of points to be scored.

“We are all about scoring points and you have to look at it like there are 10 matches to wrestle. Losing the first three, we didn’t like the way we started, but this team can score a lot of points and we knew things were going to be fine with the lineup we have, especially in the middle.”

Retherford moved his career mark to 86-3. Nolf is now 52-2 and Nickal is 51-2.

Nolf, an NCAA runner-up last year, might be the leader of the pack. He hammered All-American Joe Smith 24-9 at 157. Joseph, a freshman 165-pounder, controlled the dangerous Chandler Rogers on his way to a major decision.

“It was a lot of fun, a lot of energy. A big time match-up. We enjoyed it,” Penn State coach Cael Sanderson said. “Our guys wrestled well.”

RECORD CROWD

Edward C. Gallagher, considered the father of folkstyle wrestling, coached at Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College, now Oklahoma State University, from 1916-40. In 1939, Gallagher Hall opened with “Iba” added to the name in the 1980s in honor of another legendary coach at OSU, Henry P. Iba. The original venue had a capacity of barely 6,000. Prior to Sunday, the largest crowd to watch a sporting event in the building was a 2007 men’s basketball game between OSU and Missouri that drew 14,044. The largest gathering for a wrestling match was a 2001 match against Oklahoma with 10,082.

Sunday’s crowd of 14,059 set a record for Gallagher-Iba Arena.

“It was exciting,” Oklahoma State coach John Smith said “I’ve been waiting for that opportunity to pack the house for the first time since 2001. I’ve been excited about the opportunity to do that again and I wish we could’ve delivered a little bit more for the fans, but I wouldn’t give up on this team.”

GAP CLOSED

Oklahoma State senior Anthony Collica started his career at 141 pounds, jumped to 157 pounds, and returned to 149 pounds as a junior when he earned All-America honors last March. Earlier this season, Collica (17-2), a native of Ohio with 103 career victories, bested Iowa’s Brandon Sorensen in two tiebreakers. In the 2016 NWCA Duals final, Collica lost to Retherford, 4-1, and did not appear physically ready to challenge the nation’s best 149-pounder. On Sunday, a riding-time point was the difference in a 2-1 victory as neither man was able to mount any offense over the seven minutes.

Retherford, Sorensen, Collica, and Missouri’s Lavion Mayes might make for a good final four in St. Louis.

TWO GOOD FINISHES

NCAA champion Dean Heil improved to 24-0 with a 3-2 win over senior Jimmy Gulibon. Heil, a junior and national champion in 2016 escaped a number of precarious situations. It was Heil’s 10th victory by three or fewer points this season. However, the Cowboy has won 56 of his last 57 matches.

“I just did everything I could to hold on,” said Heil, who nearly gave up a pin from a neutral position during scrambles in both the second and third periods. “There’s not much I could’ve done in that situation. I was in a position where if I would’ve went one inch to right or left, he would’ve been able to pop his shoulder or get two, so I just had to hold on and make sure he couldn’t move. I was hoping for the stalemate, but time ran out and I was able to hold on until then and that was that.”

At 174 pounds, Penn State rookie Mark Hall (24-2) countered a Kyle Crutchmer shot late for a decisive takedown in a 3-2 battle at 174 pounds. Neither man was close to scoring any offensive points until the final minute of the bout.

INJURY UPDATE

Penn State rookie 125-pounder Nick Suriano, ranked second in the country, was tied at 2-2 with Oklahoma State’s Nick Piccininni early in the second period when he appeared to injure an ankle. After an injury timeout, Suriano attempted to continue with his ankle taped but could not complete the opening bout.

[b][b]“Nick will be fine, it’s a sprained ankle.” Sanderson said. “He will be back for the Big Ten (Championships).”[/b][/b]
Carl Spackler

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room