It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:52 am Advanced search

Other Penn State Sports Teams

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Other Penn State Sports Teams

Postby underlion » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:10 pm

InterestIng the bias between anouncers. I listened to the match with PSU and then watched the OK State feed. With a pin by Gulibon and no ankle injury we win 37 to 4. There were several stall calls that were questionable. The PSU anouncer thought Rutherford always had the legs in before his opponent stood up and the OKS announcer thought he never did. Rutherford needs to work on another method because he may get a reputation for that 'stall'.

The first match against OKS last year Megaludis got a pin that I thought was quick. Guliban's was much more of a pin IMO. But maybe the #1 wrestler gets some calls at home. Dont know the rule but it appears you can't get near fall points from neutral, only the pin.

If our 133 pounder had not got hurt this might be the strongerst teams top to bottom ever. Good news on Suriano. We probably don't need him to win the B10 Tourney but I don't know how you qualify for Nationals.
underlion

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:02 pm

I agree, its the NCAA matches that will require the point scoring for a chance at a team title. The Big 10's should go well although I don't count the chickens before they are fried.
Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:23 am

Here ya go, the next two controversies, the 2nd involving a PSU event and wrestler:

Foley's Friday Mailbag: February 24, 2017

T.R. Foley, InterMat Senior Writer
2/24/2017
foley@intermatwrestle.com, Twitter: @trfoley, Instagram: Trfoley37

This week a wrestler in Texas forfeited a match to an opponent based on the knowledge that the competitor has transitioned into a male. The news made national headlines and sparked debate about transgender rights and the rights of athletes competing against transgender athletes.

Though it would be easy to jump to a side, this is not a matter of simple discrimination, or religious zealotry. At the core of the forfeit (and lawsuit asking that the transgendered athlete be forbidden from competing) is that the transgendered athletes is taking testosterone to help with the gender transition, something otherwise prohibited by in Texas high school sports.

Those opposing the transgender athlete's participation make a point about fairness: if a student who took these drugs and tried to compete would test positive for performance enhancers and be ineligible, why should an exception be made for those transitioning between sexes? The NCAA also tackled a few years ago, settling on the ruling that a female athlete may participate in female athletics during their first year of transitioning. After that point the athlete would no longer be eligible to compete on a women's team.

But here's the real crux, the athlete in question, Mack Beggs, wanted to compete against boys but athletic administrators in Texas, and later court rulings, compelled him compete against girls.

No doubt that transgender policy is a complicated issue that touches on a lot of hot topics, however this should have been a non-issue. A transgender athlete wanted to participate in wrestling, but due to a lack of understanding about the complex situation a handful of bureaucrats denied him that right, and possibly denied the right of fair competition to others.

Wrestling is too often about wins and losses. Every year we see news specials in the profiles of courage by some of our sport's disabled athletes and it stirs up in us a love of our sport and the equality among people it promotes. This isn't as stark of an example, but it's one which would require even more courage and would bang the drum of our sport's equality even louder than before.

A wrestling match is a meeting between two humans with the expectation of exchanging techniques, strength and grit. Competitors testing their work ethic and hoping for a positive outcome. Here, what could have been -- an acceptance of a match including a transgendered athlete in the gender of his identification -- would have shown the world our sport's most redeemable and admirable qualities, rather than our culture's most vile and basest instinct.

To your questions …

Jimmy Gulibon of Penn State nearly secured a fall against Oklahoma State's Dean Heil (Photo/Mark Lundy, Lutte-Lens.com)
Picture missing, the pin was OBVIOUS!!!!!

Q: I feel like Flo's issues overshadowed the one glaring rules issue that took place in the National Duals finals match between Jimmy Guilibon and Dean Heil. We had a situation where a wrestler was put onto his back by another wrestler in an inescapable situation from neutral position (much like a jones' shin whizzer tilt) and exposed in criteria for a grand total of 20 uninterrupted seconds. Following the exchange, zero points were awarded in two similar exchanges. What constitutes "control" in situations like these? Is it purely a judgment call?
-- Bryan O.

Foley: The situation was obnoxious. The wrestler from Oklahoma State was pinned -- plain, simple and without argument. The area of his back necessary to call the fall was on the mat and the wrestler on top was in control of the situation. When compared to the "flash takedown" the control was even more evident, lasting (as you noted) for 20 uninterrupted seconds.

In wrestling, you are meant to stay OFF your back. This is universal and has a history that extends back more than 5,000 years. It's the heritage that binds our sport! That our wrestlers are putting themselves on their back for 20 seconds and not being called for a pin, but also WINNING the matches is simply embarrassing. I don't have a preference between the teams and think the world of both coaches, but it's an embarrassment to our sport that this match didn't end with an obvious fall call.

My hope is that the rules committee dives into this issue and ensures that the sport returns to a more logical rule set.
Carl Spackler

Postby underlion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:25 pm

Disappointing semis for the wrestling team. Bo's loss to a OSU wrestler really hurts and Gullibon got pinned twice.

Need a better day tomorrow to win tournament.
Last edited by underlion on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
underlion

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Some disappointments and some surprises (Bo) are making it difficult to grab the ring. I can't quite understand what happened to Jimmy G. He was a scrapper who seems to find bad luck (OK State rip off, etc). He really had a bad conf. champ. match. He is still into the NCAA tournament as a seed but with this performance one wonders what is going on. Do he have some issue weighing on him that is private, undisclosed? To go from a gamer to this so quickly doesn't ring true to me. I suspect something else is going on. We likely will never know as he is very private and Cale won't disclose info unless Jimmy says it's OK if it is personal.

Bo? Wo....same OSU wrestler who knocked him off at the NCAA tourn. last year. But, this is top flight opposition. I think sometimes we come to expect wins automatically given that it happens so often and we don't grasp the effort and a bit of luck along the way that goes into a championship like performance. Bo has come through so often he is considered MR. automatic generally like Zane. Everyone has a bad day. Hope he makes amends at the NCAA tourn.
Carl Spackler

Postby underlion » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Hall needed to win his match. Almost. OSU gets a win at HWT so it looks over to me.

Hope Surianno is good for NCAAs
underlion

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:49 pm

That thud you heard yesterday was the end of yet another disappointing men's hoops season - dropped last five games to squash any hopes of even an NIT bid.
I know the team is young but Chambers is 6 years in and hasn't even sniffed the NIT and has been dreadful in B1?.

I'd say he's needs to make it to NIT next season or it's time to turn the page.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:54 pm

They really do have some very good freshmen this year and some solid commits coming in so I think there is hope. But I agree, if he doesn't make the post-season in some fashion it's over. He's had time.
Shore Lion

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:33 pm

I had hope for Chambers and still do but his window is closing. He had to clean up a mess and restart a program that rarely was started at all. Now he has a freshman class that it exceptional and learning on the job. If next years class is as good as reported it will have to come in an be an additive boost to this years class plus grab a winning record or the recruiting will be more difficult and from there its a downward spiral.

I hope the team and the coaches can turn it around and use the lessons learned this winter for motivation and education for next winter.
Carl Spackler

Postby underlion » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Couldn't have gone any better day 1 of NCAA Wrestling. Unless Suriano was healthy. Need a good start Friday. Need to win some of our #5 seeds vs #4. Hopefully Gulliban can wrestle a while in the consolations.
underlion

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room