It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am Advanced search

Other Penn State Sports Teams

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Other Penn State Sports Teams

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Yes, I was sorry to hear Suriano wasn't suited up for the matches as Cael seemed to insinuate he would wrestle all along. The eight wrestlers did very well today. Again, it would be a minor miracle for them to win it all as a team given others carry more wrestlers but winning solves that problem. Looking forward to the semis tomorrow and how we fare as a team going into the finals. Some upsets for both OSU's so far which help us in the team race.
Carl Spackler

Postby underlion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:26 am

Very good day for the wrestling team. Zain, Nolf, and Bo are animals. Both pins by Bo today happen quickly. The opponent must be thinking 'I'm on my back, what went wrong'

Mark Hall is something. He must be wrestling 11 plus lbs over his true weight, his body control is amazing.

Joseph just won his way into the finals, pretty boring.

5 guaranteed seconds and a chance at a third tomorrow.

Hockey team upset Minnesota and the lady lions won
underlion

Postby gmay10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:24 pm

I turned off the basketball and watched all of the wrestling. I love watching high school and college wrestling. I saw a few teams have a fairly big Big 10 logo on the backs of their singlets. I loved that PSU has the Lion logo on their backs and small Big 10 logo on their thigh. I think it is trying to say suck on deez nuts Emmert! That was kind of inappropriate but felt good to write:)
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Wow, I was concerned with Nick Suriano out with the ankle injury that with only eight wrestlers we would have a very difficult time in contending for the NCAA title. Now, during the consolation matches we clinch our sixth NC out of seven years. We won all five semi final matches that we participated in and did so convincingly. Ohio State and Okla State both had 10 wrestlers competing and we moped mat with them.

Bo Nikal is amazing pinning his way through the competition and is only a bit better than Zain Retherford and Jason Nolf plus Mark Hall and Joseph Vincenzo both upsetting opponents to advance all five participants into the finals tonight. Should we strike out we still have the national championship in the bag.

These young men are stunning in their skill, effort and dedication to a grueling sport. Dan Gable of Iowa legend said we wrestle "differently" when asked how we are dominating the field. We don't do what is generally expected in wrestling circles. Guess the rest has best get to it because we won't be changing our style to a watching the paint dry, stalling method of Iowa and others. Our wrestlers push to score points all the time in most cases. IF that is aberrant the rest will have to change to the new norm to compete or settle for second though sixth place for a very long time. All our wrestlers are back except Jimmy Gulibon who had a mixed career. Our 125 and 133, neither who could wrestle at the NCAA's due to injuries will both be there next year and that is likely worth at least 20 pts extra being conservative. Suriano was ranked second or first all season until his injury.

Baby let the good times roll. PSU sports is back, kicking rear and taking names...............
Carl Spackler

Postby underlion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Wow 5 for 5 in the finals. I was going to be happy with 3. 3 of 5 for bonus points and Joseph pins Martinez. We did get a few breaks or minimally the calls didn't go against us. Bo's match was the closest. So Joseph and Hall have their Freshman National Championship. We should be better next year.
underlion

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:33 pm

WOW, PSU wins the National Championship and all five PSU wrestlers in the finals win their individual matches. A feat only accomplished three or four times in history. While two were favored (Retherford and Nolf) neither Joseph, Hall or Nickal were. Each underdog beat a previous champion, Joseph beat a two timer as did Nickal. Amazing stuff and a dynasty in the making as PSU now has won the national championship six of the past seven years.

What a pleasure to watch them wrestle and appear to enjoy the effort. Then to hear them represent PSU after their events certainly makes one realize the quality of our coaching staff to recruit and coach such fine young men. Listening to a few other schools wrestlers, no every one but a few, post event was not enjoyable as several babbled on about how great they were individually, arrogant with a capital A. I won't say all our student athletes are choir boys or saints but in general I think they do represent what they see and hear from their coaches.

Another season in the books and all the champions are back, two are freshmen, two sophomores and a junior. Add in the two injured freshmen who did not participate and our seasons look pretty favorable for the near future.
Carl Spackler

Postby gmay10 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:40 pm

DVRed the wrestling and since Nova pooped the bed. It was great to come home to watch some PSU wrestling after attending a hockey game. Nice to see how hard work pays off. My motto is work hard to play hard:)
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby underlion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:54 pm

And Hockey wins the B10 in double OT
underlion

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:18 am

Tuned in for a bit of BT hockey and saw the 2nd OT seconds ticking off under 45 sec. as I remember. Did we score in that 45 seconds? If so.......OK, I got to see the wrestling live and helped them as Mrs. Spackler says with my twists and turns during the action. You would think I would get over doing that, and do at times but it was the National Championship and all...
Carl Spackler

Postby gmay10 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21 am

SO ticked I missed watching this game. I wasn't aware it was on:( Great night for PSU sports!!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room