It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:40 pm Advanced search

Locker Room Random Thoughts

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Locker Room Random Thoughts

Postby PennState03Chris » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Why not...

Thought it was interesting to hear during last weekend's Tennessee-Florida game that Neyland Stadium was sold-out for the first time in 4 years.

FSU's Doak Campball holds 83-84,000. Their announced attendance last week versus Wake Forest was 68,000, but it looked a whole lot less than that.
PennState03Chris

Re: Locker Room Random Thoughts

Postby Crowbar » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:31 pm

Many people are simply being priced right out of going to games. Not only that but modern conveniences make going to games much less attractive.

I went to the Eagles-Patriots game last year at the Linc. Here is a rough breakdown of expenses:

Three tickets - $242.00

Parking - $30.00

Souvenir for kid - $20.00

Food & drink - $30.00

Throw in a few bucks for gas I spent roughly $330.00 to see a football game.

And the Eagles got plastered that game, to boot.
Crowbar

Postby PennState03Chris » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Definitely agree. I looked at tickets for the Ohio game, and seats high up between the 20s were going for $140 or more. I ended up picking up 2 for the Ohio State at the 30 for $90-something each. If I had tried to purchase them through GoPSUsports.com/Ticketmaster, they'd likely have been $140 or more a piece.

Just thought it was interesting that some "powers" have really been struggling with attendance. Makes our 100,000 or so not seem all too bad in comparison.
PennState03Chris

I hear you!

Postby GR82BaFLG8R » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:55 pm

We play Kentucky tomorrow with a 12:21 kick off. I know it is cooler in State College but 12:21 to 3:ish tomorrow in Gainesville will be hotter than Hades! All that money and the risk of heat stroke to see a game against Kentucky?????????? MANY will stay home. Like State College we are the ONLY reason to ever travel to our town so if you aren't here for something else the expense is just out of control.
GR82BaFLG8R

Postby LaVarLB11 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:24 pm

What keeps me away from games?

Cost for tickets, parking, ignorant fans whether its swearing, just being not knowledgeable of the game, or on an iPad/iPhone, fan violence

Plus what beats anyone's man cave? You go to the beer store and get a solid case for $20 figure at the stadium is $8 a pop. Food you don't have to stand in line and you can load up whenever. When the game is over you are not in traffic you just find the remote and figure what next to watch.

Fan violence doesn't exist because it will not be tolerated in my home.
LaVarLB11

Postby pennst92 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Except when you throw the remote at the flat screen...
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby limestonelion » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:12 am

I went to the Alabama game last year with a friend 2 nights at the Auto Port $600 golf Friday on the Blue course $200, tickets $160 plus food. Great game but just crazy the money for a weekend of fun!
limestonelion

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:17 am

You're staying away from games due to "fan violence"? Unless you're planning to see the Eagles in the old Vet in the late 1980s, I think you're pretty safe. I got to a bunch of football and baseball games every year and I've never had a problem. I've seen a random fight or two over the years, but security is usually all over people. I've never felt threatened at any sporting event I've ever been to.

Cost is a bit of a more legitimate reason. When I go to football games, I'm just paying for me so it's not too bad. For baseball, I rely on Stub Hub. This past August I took the family to a Mets - Phillies game on a beautiful Thursday afternoon. We had great seats and with parking, tickets and some snacks for the kids, I think I paid $130 for the day.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby appoo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:04 am

I'm not ready for a world where Penn State is hammered by sanctions, and Notre Dame has the inside track to a national title game appearance...
appoo

Postby LaVarLB11 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Being a Pirates season ticket holder I go to plenty of baseball games, I make a pilgrimage to Wrigley, Cleveland, Citizen's Bank, and even Yankees Stadium and baseball crowds are much more tamer than football crowds.

I personally am not personally bothered by fan violence but my family and friends are easily rattled by people screaming obscenities and idle threats. I remember taking my mom to a Steelers/Giants game and I got my LT jersey on and she is decked in Black and Gold and she saw Steeler fans just harrass me like no other and she was concerned. I let it go. What really bothered her, considering she needs a cain to aid her mobility, a full fledged fight happened between two drunken Steelers fans.
LaVarLB11

Next

Return to The Locker Room