It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:04 pm Advanced search

2016 Team Thread

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: 2016 Team Thread

Postby originalchas » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:12 pm

Here are my “awards” for the 2016 PSU football season.

“Did I really see that?” - Mike Gesicki went from a guy who dropped pass after pass one year to a glue handed clutch receiver in 2016. Now Mike, just get stronger with your blocking and run short routes consistently past the first down marker.

“Follow the path.” – Ryan Bates was a consistent contributor wherever he played this year. When Nelson, Palmer, and others went down for the season he stepped up and played his best ball all year. We have this kid for three more years, if he wants it.

“Yes, you can date my daughter” – Saquon Barkley is a good, hard-working kid, who shows a genuine interest in his teammates. On second thought, nobody is that nice…

“Let’s see what you do next year” – Curtis Cothran, like so many players on this team, just got better with more experience and good coaching. When Wisconsin punched us in the mouth and went up 21 points he just continued to make plays. TFL’s are something to expect from him from now on.

“Linebacker U” – An NFL team will draft Brandon Bell and be glad they did.

“Is that kid on the training staff?” – Trace McSorley went from “too small to be good” to a guy who collected some Heisman votes. The year turned around when the coaches opened the entire playbook and let him use his feet in designed plays. Hack who?

“Player least recognized” – Blake Gillikin. You know, the kid who punts. The young man gave us good field position time and time again. Remember too, there is no nine game winning streak and Big 10 title if he failed to cover the bad snap in the end zone against tOSU.

“Yawn, pass the popcorn” – Tyler Davis was money all year. He may not have the strongest leg, but he just does not miss.

“He is still on this team?” – Koa Farmer went from someone buried on the depth chart to a loose missile at LB. Big plays at crucial times seem to be his specialty. I think he is in his sixth year with the program.

“He just contributes” – Brian Gaia came to PSU to play DL and found himself a starter on OL. No, not just a starter but a contributor and leader. He personifies the “Next man up!” philosophy everyone on this team young team has bought into.

“Oh, and this kid plays DB” – Grant Haley made the two biggest plays of the year. Not many people get to say that on a football team.

“He gets better the longer the game lasts” – Garrett Sickels was relentless and in the fourth quarter you could always count on him for tfls or sacks.

“You are the man” – The entire squad. From the few seniors to the group of young kids on the practice squad. So many contributors. So many fan favorites. More to come.
originalchas

Postby shane » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:19 pm

And just so you know chas, Koa Farmer will be back next year as well........
shane

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Actually Farmer has 2 more years of eligibility.
Shore Lion

Postby originalchas » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:45 pm

Koa Farmer may collect Social Security before he leaves State College. Some players are like that. I thought Jared Abbrederis was on the seven year plan at Wisconsin. Taylor Martinez played quarterback for Nebraska at least five years.
originalchas

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Shore Lion wrote:Ok, now that the season is over I have to get this off my chest. I absoutely detest the stupid swing and salute that McSorely does when he throws a touchdown. It is beyond stupid looking. In fact, almost all premediated "celebrations" look stupid. I love the kid, he's just a winner and tough as rawhide but man I hate when he does that.

Won't bother me one bit if I get to see the McSorley Salute 5 or 6 more times in the Rose Bowl.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby gmay10 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:26 pm

PittGradPSUMad wrote:
Shore Lion wrote:Ok, now that the season is over I have to get this off my chest. I absoutely detest the stupid swing and salute that McSorely does when he throws a touchdown. It is beyond stupid looking. In fact, almost all premediated "celebrations" look stupid. I love the kid, he's just a winner and tough as rawhide but man I hate when he does that.

Won't bother me one bit if I get to see the McSorley Salute 5 or 6 more times in the Rose Bowl.

I actually like it- quite original IMO. These kids celebrate when they do something. It is the culture of sports except for baseball.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby LioninVa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:09 am

I got home and checked the B1G network to see what was on. They were halfway through the Football and Beyond (I think) for the championship game. I don't know if they have one that focuses on Wisconsin, but this was all about PSU. Obviously, I watched it because I can't get enough of that 2nd half! What really struck me was how well spoken all of our kids are. Except for Penn State I follow most sports with a casual interest and have heard many athletes in interviews. Most of them speak at about a 5th grade level, and I am being generous. The hear student athletes who sound educated and are able to win games makes me think that we are still doing things correctly. That makes me happy and just a little bit proud!
LioninVa

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Lots of chatter around about Moorhead being considered for the Temple job. Sometimes I wonder about these "reports". Because someone has a thought and puts it in some article about the coaching vacancy and all of a sudden it turns into something bigger than it is. It's like early in the season with Franklin. He wasn't on the hot seat. He wasn't getting fired after this season unless he punched Sandy Barbour in the face, he was always going to have at least one more year. But yet all these websites had him on the "list". I hope that JoMo sticks around for at least another year but who knows?
Shore Lion

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Remember a few years ago when there were these constant reports that Bradley was going to Temple, Bradley was going to UConn, Bradley was taking half the staff with him, etc. I think every single one of these rumors about our coaching staff - who's being hired, who's coming, who's going - has been 100% wrong. The one thing the last few years and past 2 coaching changes have absolutely cemented in my mind is that the internet so-called "insiders" are inside of nothing except maybe their own houses. They know nothing and they are always, always wrong.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:34 pm

I know coaches get paid well but in any industry you need to pay for performance. And this staff performed. Bonus or raises in order. And have no doubt the return to prominence means more $$$ flowing into the school that will more than cover it.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room