It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 am Advanced search

2016 Team Thread

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: 2016 Team Thread

Postby SouthernLion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:13 pm

pennst92 wrote:I've just awarded myself a participation trophy. So I've got that going for me. Gunga-lagunga...

Not to worry, '92. I was just reviewing the early pages of this thread back in January when we lost Bob Shoop and Herb Hand within a few days. There was plenty of angst and speculation that key assistants' leaving was JF's fault, etc. You are hereby given the Prescient Coaching Call of the Year award in regard to Brent Pry's promotion:

I like Brent Pry in the position. Good hire from within, don't think we miss a beat.

Well done, my friend.
SouthernLion

Postby pennst92 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:57 pm

My wife wrote that. She's a Vandy grad. She hates me. So I have that going for me. Gunga-laGunga...

:)
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Well, who can complain when their wife hates them? I mean, come on.... ;)
SouthernLion

Postby pennst92 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Heh! She's actually a pretty good gal. Vandy undergrad, Millsaps College Masters, MS School of Law JD. And I'm the smart one - I married her...

All that said, she's a pretty rabid college football fan - SEC of course - so she knows almost as much about football as I do (which, to be fair, ain't much). But I did have a bit of knowledge of the Vandy coaching staff prior to their arrival in State College. Actually think John Donovan was the fall guy for Herb Hand's failures. Hand was highly touted as a maestro on the offensive line, but the Lions Oline was putrid during Hand's two years. Donovan's biggest failure was not recognizing that small ball w/ the short passes was the best way to help the line...of course, that was undercut by Hack's inability to throw the short pass w/ any accuracy...etc. etc. etc.

Frankly, don't miss any of the guys who left. Think we made out really well, and I suspect that even when (if?) Moorhead leaves, CJF will have the playbook installed into his hard drive. I'm pretty excited about the next evolution of this team - think we can be a top program in the BiG for the next decade at least as long as CJF keeps recruiting top 20 classes.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby SouthernLion » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:52 pm

I think we are agreeing that southern women are in a class by themselves. And that the Herb Hand/John Donovan combo was deadly for PSU offense. Heaping on the kudos to JF in doing what had to be done, despite it personally being painful. Thrown in A/A+ recruiting and I would agree that JF could be ushering in a 10-win era here.

Btw, I know old Oxford, MS, quite well. Daughter has two degrees; worst football game I've ever seen was there - Ole Miss vs. Kentucky around ten years ago...was like watching a mediocre high school game.
SouthernLion

Postby pennst92 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:24 pm

I recall your reminiscing about Oxford. You may recall me talking about Jackson, where I met my lovely wife (who, ironically, is from Connecticut). It is a small world that gets smaller as I get older.
pennst92

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Just saw an interesting stat. PSU was 2nd in the country only to Michigan in Tackles for Loss 115-112. Clemson also had 112. That's pretty freaking good when you consider how banged up this team was the first part of the season.

By the way, there's an excellent article about Coach James Franklin on the PennLive website today. Talks to a lot of people who have known him since he was little. Very driven, determined and well-like guy by everyone who knew him. Plus there are some pics of Coach with hair! Also some video of his high school and college playing days. He looked pretty fast.
Shore Lion

Postby gmay10 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Shore Lion wrote:Just saw an interesting stat. PSU was 2nd in the country only to Michigan in Tackles for Loss 115-112. Clemson also had 112. That's pretty freaking good when you consider how banged up this team was the first part of the season.

By the way, there's an excellent article about Coach James Franklin on the PennLive website today. Talks to a lot of people who have known him since he was little. Very driven, determined and well-like guy by everyone who knew him. Plus there are some pics of Coach with hair! Also some video of his high school and college playing days. He looked pretty fast.

I think this is the article: http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2016/12/how_james_franklins_playing_pa.html#incart_m-rpt-2
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Previous

Return to The Locker Room