It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 pm Advanced search

Lest we forget, people we need to thank

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Lest we forget, people we need to thank

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:16 am

There are a number of people I'd really love to see watching from the sidelines when the team gets to Indianapolis. Without these people there may not be a Penn State football program at this point. You can never name everyone who we should thank but a few names really stand out. In my mind, that list is:

Mike Mauti and Michael Zordich - more than anyone else, these two men stood up and held the whole thing together. The Board of Trustees could learn a lot from these two.

Christian Hackenberg - No matter what you may think of his career at PSU, the fact is that he was a top recruit who could have gone anywhere else after it all hit the fan. He not only stood by his commitment - when no one could have reasonably blamed him for jumping ship - but he also was willing to lend his name and recruiting ranking to the recruiting efforts and convince more people to stay.

Bill O'Brien - he was dealt an awful hand and managed to hold it together and kept us going. PSU never went below .500 after those stupid sanctions hit.

Allen Robinson, Anthony Zettle, Jesse James, Geno Lewis - these were all young kids, Freshman and Sophomores, who could have jumped ship and did not.

Really the whole 2012 team deserves to stand on the sidelines and you can name every one of them and not name anyone who did not make this possible, but I was just trying to hit the highlights.

Did anyone think there was a chance we could be in this position so soon after the NCAA dropped the house on us in July of 2012? The NCAA blamed an entire University for the horrific acts of one individual and the inactions of 3 or 4 others. No matter what you may believe regarding Joe, Curley, Schultz and Spanier, it was wrong to blame the entire PSU population for the crimes of Sandusky.

4 seasons later PSU may win a Big 10 title within shouting distance of Mark Emmert's office. I hope that haunts him every day for the rest of his miserable toupee wearing life.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Re: Lest we forget, people we need to thank

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:24 am

I agree totally, that if ever a championship should/could legitimately be shared with past players & coaches, this is it. I'd even give a piece to the lettermen who stood up during the past 5 years when it was definitely not the popular stance.

I find it interesting how PSU is not totally accepted on the cfb scene, even now. Gameday (5 hrs long!) gave the game very little run and two of the guys picked the Lions to lose, which has been the tendency all season long. I perused the East Lansing media after the game, and their beat writer concluded that it is an embarrassment to the Big 10 that we have a legit shot at the CFP, and that absolutely no one cares now about game in Indy. Even the BiG website has OSU listed above us in the final BiG-East standings. The entire cfb world is kind of stunned, because they thought they killed the beast, and now the beast is alive, well, hungry and roaring.

Finally, I would actually prefer we don't make the CFP (no large stones, please) and not weasel our way in as a longshot. I don't think we have a shot against Alabama or Clemson, just too many athletes there, and our O-line is still very vulnerable. I would not want to see this season end in a blowout, with ESPN et al, clucking how we really shouldn't have been there in the first place. NEXT YEAR, however, is a totally different story. We will be stronger and more experienced nearly everywhere (minus Brandon Bell) and better suited to challenge the very best programs. I'd rather to see us beat Wisky and smack someone hard not named W. Michigan on New Year's.
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:21 pm

I perused the East Lansing media after the game, and their beat writer concluded that it is an embarrassment to the Big 10 that we have a legit shot at the CFP, and that absolutely no one cares now about game in Indy.

Is this the article you're referring to? Holy hell, is this guy an asshole. I hope we do go to the CFP just so this douchebag can squirm about it .We have as much right to compete as anyone. And, with time to get healthy, I think we can cause problems for anyone of those teams. I don't know we can beat them, but I have confidence we can make a game of it. At minimum, I hope these kids get a chance to try.

I was really indifferent to what happened next until I read that crap. I just thought all of this was gravy. But, if that jackwad is indicative of how people feel, then I hope PSU has the opportunity to keep sticking their fingers in peoples faces this way. I am sick and tired of sanctimonious jackasses saying or implying "we don't get it". We do get it. We get it probably more than all the people pointing fingers at us. Sandusky was a big part of PSU. He was a celebrity because of his status as a great defensive coordinator. And, he used that celebrity to do horrible things. We are all very much aware of it. Stop telling us it's our fault because it's not.

I hope the Badgers are nothing but road kill after this. I hope we win by such a margin they have no choice but to put is in the playoffs. And, then let's see what happens.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby gmay10 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:25 pm

Some people continue to say that we lost to Pitt and that was at Pitt. They forget that Pitt beat Clemson AT Clemson! F these douche bags. It probably won't happen but we should get in over Washington. Their schedule was weak. I think we need to CRUSH Whisky to get into the top 4. We need to put an entire game together and annihilate them. I have been watching a few college football preview shows today and PSU is still not getting any love. The funny part is that we crushed MSU and OSU just squeaked out a win.

Agree with the both of you on who we need to think. One other thing, I have no clue how they do it but they need to thank me, you, and all of the rest of the people on this board. Yes, the letterman and past players should be thanked, but the common fan supported this team through thick and thin. PSU should pay to put up a few billboards thanking the average fan for not bailing on the program!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Is this the article you're referring to?

Yeah, that was it. Quite the sanctimonious pr*ck, after his team gets totally run off the field by The Embarrassment of the Big Ten. What clowns of this variety don't realize is that we should be even better next year.

I'm cool with us laying low this year, as I just don't think we're at the ultra-elite level yet. BUT, but, if these guys earn their way in to the CFP, well, yes, let's see what they can do! And maybe they'd surprise me even further, who knows (what a ride THAT would be). I could handle it!
SouthernLion

Postby underlion » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:10 pm

I was thinking about my grandmother and all those great Thanksgivings and all the other blessings God has bestowed on me but you guys only think about PSU Football.

Agree with Southern. I don't want the #4 spot opposite AL. We are not there yet and I'd rather complain about getting robbed than get spanked. Then I ask who has earned a spot. While undefeated, who has AL actually beat? LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, A&M? What is the top ranked team they've beaten?

Not getting in this year will make next years team hungry. Success this year was defined as 500, getting a bowl game and beating one of the Big 3 (OSU, UM, MSU). This group has had an amazing year, were it not for the LB injuries and throwing away the first 30 m7nutes of almost every game we could be undefeated or have one loss.

Yes, Mauti and Zordich earned PSU's thanks, I think the letterman that came back and talked to the team deserve thanks, they were willing to put their name on the line and tell the player what it meant to be a PSU Football Player. Hack? His decision probably hurt his development and possibly his career but it probably kept other recruits.

A good story, even if many uneducated idiots can't separate Sandusky from these student players.
underlion

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm cool with us laying low this year, as I just don't think we're at the ultra-elite level yet.

Maybe we aren't but at this point I'd like the chance to have that proven on the field. Penn State earned a trip to the playoffs. I didn't think I'd care but I do.

I was thinking about my grandmother and all those great Thanksgivings and all the other blessings God has bestowed on me but you guys only think about PSU Football.

Say what?! Are you serious? Sorry, but that's a really ridiculous comment. We don't only think about PSU football. My post was about this upcoming game. It was a focused view on one event, not the entirety of my life. I resent the implication that because I made a post about who we should thank for this one event I'm some how unable to focus on, or be thankful for, anything else. My posts on this board are not the entirety of me.

For example, not a day goes by that I'm not thankful the Mets resigned Cespedes for the 2016 season and I focus on rumors of his signing on a daily basis. I'm way more than just PSU football.

Really, the nerve of some people ......
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby underlion » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:58 pm

:)
underlion

Return to The Locker Room