It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:24 am Advanced search

College Football Playoff National Championship

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

College Football Playoff National Championship

Postby gmay10 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:50 pm

I think this needs its own thread because we are actually in the picture to make the top 4. The one thing that is bothering me with JF is that he is not politicking at all. I understand that he wants to keep the kids focussed and that is great, but getting into the final 4 at this point is going to take some finagling unless we crush Whisky.

First off the board is that PSU lost to Pitt at Pitt. Clemson lost to the same team but Clemson had Pitt at home.

PSU got crushed by MU but it was one of those games that happen- the perfect storm. We beat OSU who beat MU so that says something.

OSU barely beat MSU the previous week while PSU just whooped them.

We crushed Iowa and Michigan lost to them a few weeks ago.

The big thing with the committee is how are the teams playing RIGHT NOW and PSU has to be near the top.

And BTW, don't give me this crap that we shouldn't make the final 4 because we might get crushed by Alabama or because next year is our year. That is like saying you don't want to make the Superbowl because it might be an issue next year. If we crush Whisky we should be in the top 4- screw Washington and their schedule!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Re: College Football Playoff National Championship

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Let's beat Wisconsin first. None of this matters unless we win in Indianapolis. I suspect a large part of the reason Franklin isn't arguing our case in public is because we don't yet have a case to make.

Wisconsin. Wisconsin. Wisconsin.

Win next week or this is all academic.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby gmay10 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:16 pm

That is where you are wrong. If we win next week we need more than 2 days of lobbying to get to final 4. This lobbying starts now along with focussing on Wisconsin. We have a case! We beat OSU during regulation. We lost to Pitt who beat Clemson (ranked number 3 or 4) and we got killed early in our season to MU. PSU was injured and learning the new offense. The new offense is running on all cylinders and the defense is finally healthy.

JF should be telling his players that you focus on Wisconsin and let me do the the rest. He gets paid 4 million so learn how to multitask JF. I get paid pennies compared to JF's dollar and I multitask better than anyone in this country. He can deal with the media and start to debate.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:58 pm

First, I doubt lobbying helps. Second, it is highly likely to get Wisconsin all fired up. I'm ok with Franklin playing it cool. The future will be what it will be.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:53 am

No lobbying, JF, please. Just coach the players & let the players play the game. The last thing the program needs is to make noise about how we deserve this/that and then get our heads handed to us (it is possible - this is college football, after all). Assuming we beat Wisky --> if we're in, we're in. If not, we head to the Rose Bowl and play the highest-profile non-CFP bowl game. It's a win/win.
SouthernLion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:25 am

Exactly, lobbying before even winning the conference is definitely not the thing to do. If PSU wins the title game, I think they're in. They'd have 2 top ten wins, plus Iowa is now ranked, Pitt is ranked in the AP poll and the Temple win is looking better and better as well. They're playing in their conference championship game against Navy (a ranked team).

My God I still can't believe we're even having a serious conversation about this. What a season. Feels a lot like 2005 in that nobody expected anything remotely close to this.
Shore Lion

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:28 am

I think we're going to get screwed. I listened to about 5 minutes of Boomer and Carton on my short drive from the gym to the office and they were talking about this. Craig Carton was going on and on about how PSU shouldn't get the bid because the PSU alumni "protected a pedophile for 40 years". To his credit, Boomer Esiason said that was ridiculous. the alumni didn't do that, the crimes of Sandusky had fuq all to do with the current team, and if we beat Wisconsin we should go. But, he was in the minority.

I realize that Carton is an entertainer who's job it is to play the fool and tick people off to keep them listening, but I suspect there is no shortage of people who feel the way he does. So, I think we get screwed no matter what.

Beat Wisconsin and beat them soundly. After that, it is what it is.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:39 am

I realize that Carton is an entertainer who's job it is to play the fool and tick people off to keep them listening,

I heard his rant this morning and I don't think he was "playing" a part. I'm not sure he's that good an actor. I think it's more likely that he's a genuine idiot.

Forget the playoffs. Unless they beat Wisconsin 120-0, there's No Way in Hell the NCAA is going to let that happen.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:44 am

Oh, Carton is a genuine idiot no doubt, but I think a lot of what he rants and raves about is just to tick people off and keep them listening. He may really feel this way in this instance, who knows. Whether he does or is playing a part, I think he represents a lot of thinking out there.

As for the NCAA, I don't know they can stop it. I thought the playoff system happens outside of them. But, I think that we do probably get screwed. We need to crush Wisconsin and we need Washington to either lose or really struggle with a very mediocre Colorado team for us to have a chance. Otherwise, no chance.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:02 am

I usually listen to Mike and Mike on the ride in (because our local sports radio is an ESPN affiliate) and they were discussing this as well. They didn't go into the standard "they don't deserve it because of Sandusky" mode, which I expected, but said that we are not as good as OSU and/or UM. They use the fact that we got crushed by Michigan early on and OSU just beat them as proof. I guess they like to use transferability of wins when it suits their argument? No mention of our beat down of an MSU team that took OSU to the wire.
LioninVa

Next

Return to The Locker Room