It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 3:00 pm Advanced search

College Football Playoff National Championship

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: College Football Playoff National Championship

Postby We Are... » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:06 pm

With all due respect gmay, I think you are missing how the team / coaching staff has been playing since the beginning of the year...one game at a time. The mentality is to go take of business and celebrate after. If they didn't have this mentality, they wouldn't be the second half team they are.
Saturday night, again while it may be HUGE for us, it's just another game for the team...it's not their last and they are focused on the one before them. The most important game of their lives may come in a few weeks, this is just another step to get to that point.
I do have the feeling that this team will play at a level that we may not have seen before. They have found that they are balanced offensively and can inflict damage on the defensive side. This team is rotating cogs that fit - they may not be the top ones thought at the beginning of the year, however they are working and the machine is running on all cylinders.
I am not sure that this team could be in a better place come Sat. night - mentally. It is for this reason that I feel they take care of business and treat this game just like they have treated those before it. Win and you move on...period!
There are no excuses except those you make for yourself
We Are...

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:22 pm

psu_dad wrote:I do believe, though, that we are the red-haired stepchild at this point.

You WERE the red-haired stepchild before 2011. Now, you're the rented mule.

I don't know. There is no doubt there are people out there who want to see us get screwed because they collectively blame all PSU fans and alumni for the Sandusky stuff. But, I'm just not convinced that is what is going on here. It may be why almost no one defends us when/if we get left out, but I find it tough to believe that an entity who's sole purpose is making money is going to hold out a big money maker like PSU just to continue to screw with us. Again, does anyone think that UW is a better financial option than PSU? I certainly don't. I am far more inclined to think that what is going on here is that if they say PSU gets in over a team that has been ranked in front of them all season, they have to admit that the entire ranking system is a complete farce. Which, of course, it is and always has been. They rely too much on that.

I may be way off here, but I'm really tired of everyone making excuses for us. If they beat Pitt or played better against Michigan then the discussion is probably very different. This is a subjective system and we were, subjectively, ranked well below the other teams when the season started. The CFP relies some on the AP and coaches poll and those were slow to recognize us. So, we are suffering from that.

Beat Wisconsin. Just go to Indy and beat Wisconsin. Then the chips fall where they fall.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:38 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm not sure money matters like it did before. Before you had the bowl committees selecting teams and trying to get the best TV matchup. The graft and corruption in those deals was unreal and people have gone to jail over it. I'm not certain that the playoff committee is really thinking that way. It's hard to do what they do when so many teams have a loss or two to say "hey, these are the best 4 teams." They're not saying "hey, these are the best TV matchups." I'm not saying money doesn't matter but the people making the rankings aren't financially invovled with the bowls.
Shore Lion

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:46 pm

It's more important to me that Harbaugh gets screwed than us making it in (well, not really, but almost). If I were a Michigan fan and PSU made it in with anything other than a monumental beatdown of Wisky, a la OSU in '14, I'd scream pretty loudly. For 60 minutes in the big house we actually were a rented mule, their rented mule. Face it, at the end of the weekend, 5, 6, 7 teams will have a logical, legit claim for consideration into the Four and I hope we're one of them. That's good enough for me at this point. The best is yet to come....
SouthernLion

Postby We Are... » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:47 pm

Beat Wisconsin. Just go to Indy and beat Wisconsin. Then the chips fall where they fall.

I completely agree with B&W here. Strap on the pads and play the game...you control the controllable.
We Are...

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:58 pm

Shore Lion wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm not sure money matters like it did before. Before you had the bowl committees selecting teams and trying to get the best TV matchup. The graft and corruption in those deals was unreal and people have gone to jail over it. I'm not certain that the playoff committee is really thinking that way. It's hard to do what they do when so many teams have a loss or two to say "hey, these are the best 4 teams." They're not saying "hey, these are the best TV matchups." I'm not saying money doesn't matter but the people making the rankings aren't financially invovled with the bowls.

that was sort of my point. Money matters a lot here, but it's not the only thing. They can't just propel PSU over UW because if they do then the whole thing is shown to be a sham and they subject themselves to legal issues, similar to the anti-trust threats the BCS was facing. If we went 12 - 0 and were looking to be locked out, then you can argue bias. But, with 2 losses? It's a tougher argument.

I am where Southern is. If we win this weekend we are one of a few teams with a legitimate claim to the final 4 and only 4 can go. We were too late in getting into the top of the polls, and we got smacked badly by Michigan. They can legitimately deny us a spot without it being because of Sandusky.

Win Saturday. Just win Saturday. That's all I care about.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Again, does anyone think that UW is a better financial option than PSU? I certainly don't.

Probably way better. You're thinking like a serious CFB fan. The hundreds of millions paid for TV rights to these playoff games is not about serious CFB fans. They're a captive audience. It's about attracting casual fans. That's where the ratings numbers and advertisement $$$ comes in. And that validates the rights fees. What casual fans know (or more accurately, think they know) about PSU is not good.

I'm pretty sure all the big-money interests in this circus want them to go away.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby We Are... » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:11 pm

My only argument is that Michigan - after this weekend when PSU wins - has no business being in the conversation for a top 4 spot. I agree with the board in that this bothers me more than anything else. Hey MeatChicken - you lost 2 or your last 3 games...and I just heard that Wisconsin just sent Harbaugh some cheese to go with his whine!
We Are...

Postby gmay10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:51 pm

MU is 3rd in the East standing of the Big 10- they are 3rd!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby We Are... » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:02 pm

Just a little reminder of where we were Aug 2016:
51. Penn State. Lots of questions surround James Franklin right now, especially with the departures of defensive coordinator Bob Shoop (Tennessee) and offensive line coach Herb Hand (Auburn) for lateral moves. Franklin will hand the reins of the offense to Fordham head coach Joe Moorhead, who will be tasked with finding a way to fix the massive O-line problem and developing a replacement for QB Christian Hackenberg. Given those issues, along with the losses of three NFL-caliber defensive linemen, it's hard to expect Penn State to make much noise in the Big Ten again this year.
We Are...

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room