It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 am Advanced search

WiskyX3...HEART on your Sleeve, Pre-game

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

WiskyX3...HEART on your Sleeve, Pre-game

Postby We Are... » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:05 am

Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Wisconsin. We control the controllable. This team has show that it can play with whatever is thrown at it. No-one thought we would be here - minus the players and staff. I really don't have much analysis ahead of this one other than I feel that we want this BAD and that we are going to play that way.
I know everyone is holding their breath on Barkley's injury. Honestly, I am not sure that one player will make the difference in this game. I know how much each of these players means individually, I just think we are going to see a total team effort in this one. We have proven that we can play a very balanced offensive scheme, as well as, play what hand is dealt us.
I also know that many of you are on the fence as to whether HEART plays any role into our success. Well, I have watched and listened to the team and I have no doubt...this team plays with all HEART! They leave nothing on the field and they win because they are better. You will not get a bad game from this team, you won't see them intimidated by any team they play and you will see them refuse to lose.
They control their future - they know that...this team is focused on ONE thing...Wisconsin! You will see a team Saturday that simply will find a way.
There are no excuses except those you make for yourself
We Are...

Re: WiskyX3...HEART on your Sleeve, Pre-game

Postby shane » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:15 am

I will be in attendance in Indianapolis, anyone else on here going?
shane

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:32 am

I agree We Are - Barkley's absence or limited effectiveness is not a gamekiller. As long as JF pretends SqB is gonna play, Wisky must prepare for him. And our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th RB's have shown some serious capabilities. Someone here mentioned that Barkley is our best backfield blocker, and that actually may be the most serious part of his absence. I'm thinking that JoMo might be cooking up a few 5-wide wrinkles...against the "right" defensive set, how can UW defend Godwin, Hamilton, Blacknall, Tompkins, and Charles or Gesicki, all at the same time?
SouthernLion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:22 pm

I keep waiting for 2 backs to be in the game at the same time. JoeMo did that at Fordham and I've got to think it may be something that is coming at some point. I have to say, I really like this defensive line. Considering 3 starters and 4 players altogether from last year's DLine went to the NFL and what this year's group has done as the season progressed is very impressive. Hats off to Coach Chaos.
Shore Lion

Postby We Are... » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:11 pm

This sums up why we will win on Saturday and why I argue so strongly for this team's mentality:
"There's a little bit there, as far as proving people wrong, knowing that no one really expected us to be there," Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley said after the victory against Michigan State. "But we, as a team, expected ourselves to be here through all the work we put in -- throughout the offseason, the winter, the spring ball, over the summer. If you ask anyone on this team, 'Did you guys expect to be here?' They'd say yes. These are the goals we set for ourselves at the beginning of the year, and you don't set goals you don't think you can achieve."
There are no excuses except those you make for yourself
We Are...

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Anyone out there know our season record against the spread?
SouthernLion

Postby originalchas » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Coach Franklin shakes off the chill from his time outside, enters his office and checks out the tray on his desk and sits in his allowing his feet to rest on his desk.

“The chicken orzo, a BLT, those kettle chips, an extra-large sweet tea, and TWO of those great pickles. Nice to see success has its rewards!

What a year. When I was sitting here just 8 weeks ago I had to resist questioning myself. Was I really seeing the true talent level on this team? Would we get comfortable with the new offense in time to turn the year around? Was there any way my assistants could put together a group of linebackers, defensive linemen, and offensive linemen that would function given all the injuries?

Yeah Franklin, you are a miracle worker after all. OK, I will let myself think that for five seconds.

I know we got to this place because everyone in this program worked to the best of their ability from spring practice till now. So many small details had to be completed, young men had to be motivated with one purpose in mind, and the coaches and support staff had to be committed to do whatever had to be done to make it possible for the players to succeed.

Still, there are a few decisions I made that I have to recognize and remember if I am going to have more success like this.
One decision was letting go of some friends and coworkers when I knew changes had to be made. When you do that you can have your remaining staff resent it and give up on you. These guys never gave up on me, even when I brought in new people and gave them control over major elements of the program. For that support I will always be greatful to this staff.

Then there was the AD. She spoke out when some people wanted me out of here before I had a chance to do what I had to do to make this team better. She deserves my public recognition that she did not take this program in a direction where we became an LSU, Georgia, or Texas.

Then there are the players. Saquon is so special, and not because of his football talent. He is a fine young man, a competitor, a great teammate, and role model. When your best player puts in the extra work needed to become outstanding he motivates everyone around him to get better as well.

Then there was the two part decision that was the main reason we are where we are now. First, when I put the offense in the hands of Trace I gave it to a young man who knows how to make good decisions. He limited mistakes and made use of all the skill people around him. Joe’s offense was just the thing to make the most of our talent. Second, when I chose to not play scared and place limits on Trace I freed him and everyone else to perform to the best of their ability. He may not be the big powerful athlete some teams have at the OB position, but I would not trade him for anyone else in college football.

Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Wisconsin.

We get to this game with some banged up people. It is “Next man up” time. I have confidence in the people who have to step up. What a luxury to have a backup running back who scores touchdowns. The linemen buy into what their coaches teach them, and then they go out and perform. The defense will play all out, just as they have all year. I feel good about the team.

Our opponent is a tough smash mouth football team. I like how we match up against them. I have some skill people that are a step faster than their people. Their offense is not geared for the big play. Just play them even until we have someone make a play, that’s all I ask. Once we get a lead we will not look back.

Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Wisconsin.

Now let’s have that pickle.”
originalchas

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Nice work (again), chas.

Just read we're wearing blue. Love that.
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:02 pm

“The chicken orzo, a BLT, those kettle chips, an extra-large sweet tea, and TWO of those great pickles. Nice to see success has its rewards!

I'm really starting to worry about Coach Franklin's salt intake.

But, good write-up (again). You make good points about the coaching changes he made. Does anyone think we are here with Donovan? I sure don't.

Man, it's only Monday and I am dying for this game. I can't recall the last time I was this excited about PSU football. No matter happens next, it's great to have this feeling again. It's been a really long time.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:19 pm

You said it. The anticpation of Saturday is already there. And I'll agree with Chas/JF that if this team can hang around until someone makes a play or two that could be it. Wisconsin is not a quick strike kind of team. But they are big and will hit you hard. Need to withstand that at the beginning and not back up too much.
Shore Lion

Next

Return to The Locker Room