It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:24 am Advanced search

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Postby originalchas » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:41 pm

I am doing something I rarely do... admit I was wrong.

I was not wrong in stating that Coach Franklin was on a hot seat earlier this year. I did state that I liked him personally. I have always been impressed by his recruiting ability. He has a resume of steady growth and experience.

Where I was wrong is that I questioned whether Coach Franklin was a top tier coach, the likes of a Saban or Meyer, that could put together an outstanding team from the players and resources he had at Penn State. Well, there I WAS WRONG.

It has been a pleasure to see the development of this team. When I say "development of this team" I do not mean the players alone. I include the way Coach Franklin put together his group of assistant coaches, the way he publicly marketed the program, his ability to communicate to the media, and his ability to come up with a strategic vision and his use of tactics to achieve it.
originalchas

Re: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:20 pm

I, too, am willing to come clean and admit that Chas was wrong.

wow, that was harder than I thought it would be, but I'm glad I was able to get that off my chest. Man, I feel a whole lot better now.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:29 pm

I'll admit: I didn't think Franklin was the guy. I knew he could recruit but I bought into the narrative that he had to prove he was a game-day coach. He has done that and more.

This team is exciting to watch and I haven't felt that way in a long time.
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this clown.
:May the reign of our Dear Leader be short and inconsequential, much like his fingers."
Nat@PSU

Location: The Dystopia that used to be known as the United States of America

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Interesting topic - I don't think there is a big population out there that were 100% sold on Franklin AND thought the hope and change would arrive this year.

I've had a lot of people ask me about CJF and a lot of people who wanted to see him gone - especially in September. At the start of the season there certainly valid concerns about the program's ability to compete with elite teams, to win on the road and to finish strong. The other criticism I'll just summarize as "he isn't Joe Paterno".

On the competitive level I was in the camp of we just needed to be patient - CJF inherited a depleted roster but he was recruiting well and it would take another 2-3 years before the roster matured experience and depth wise and it would show on the field. Well what I thought would take two years took two months. Beat an elite team. Check. Win on the road. Check. Finish strong. Check.
On the other count people need to let go of the past. It's fine to remember and honor Paterno but let CJF be CJF. I know a lot of older alum don't like his personality - well you know who does - 18-22 year old football players. And you know who wins championships? 18-22 year old football players. Old alums build stadiums for championship teams.

Said it before and I will say it again - if I'm CJF's agent every time I see Barbour the first word falling out my mouth is "Extension".
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:07 pm

I was 100% in the Franklin camp when we hired him. I loved the hiring. I had soured on him a lot last season. I had low expectations coming into this season, as did we all. I did not see that he could make the game day decisions and adjustments needed to win and beat the top teams. That feeling was reinforced after Michigan embarrassed us the way they did.

Man made fools of many of us. And, I am thrilled that he did.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:36 pm

As I recall, what seemed to push some over the edge was JF's odd clock mgmt decisions the first two years. The other thing was fans' failure to understand how threadbare Bo'B left the offensive line upon his departure. Those two things combined made it seem like JF was not a gameday coach and didn't know anything about offense, and therefore a failure in the making. The clock stuff was baffling to me, too, but I always thought it was a minor glitch compared to the huge issue of trying to block future pros on the opposing DL by using walk-ons and converted d-linemen. I always felt that this year ought to begin revealing JF's true coaching potential (he'd already showed recruiting ability), but never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd see this result. I think I projected 6-6 or, with some luck 7-5. What a tremendous surprise we all received...
SouthernLion

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:30 pm

In addition I would say the B'OB roster was not only depleted but was not suited to CJF's coaching strategy - just look at the difference in QB play. CJF is filling out the roster with players that fit his scheme. He's also brought in key recruits that have contributed on ST (our kicking game is really solid).

There was also some concern over the coaching turnover from last year - my guess is everyone is pretty happy with the way Moorehead, Limegrover and Pry units have performed.
reincarnatedlama

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:35 pm

The other thing where I think Franklin IS like Joe Paterno is the people he's recruiting. I've posted before that they seem like good people (yes, there will be bad eggs, it happens) and good students and generally represent PSU very well when speaking to the press or public. The only thing I'm not really happy about is the amount of showboating that seems to go on. I'm just not cool with it and I'd love for him to be asked about it.
Shore Lion

Postby psudelco » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:43 pm

I had a guy admit he was wrong about Franklin over the weekend. He needed time to get players in that fit his system and then we can have a discussion about if he is/isn't the right guy. Based on the year I would say he's the guy from recruiting to coaching changes to on field performance. I also echo that these guys seem to love playing for him and his enthusiasm rubs off and agree they represent PSU well. Beat Wisky

WE ARE
psudelco

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:45 pm

The only thing I'm not really happy about is the amount of showboating that seems to go on.

That annoys me too, but probably not as much as it used to. Mark Allen's antics against Rutgers were well into the unacceptable range...I hope it could be chalked up to just a guy being frustrated that he's not playing as much as he thinks he should. At least JF didn't cave and give him a ton of carries against MSU. The other guy is Manny Bowen. I love his play, but he's always doing something out there after a big hit or stop. Hopefully that's just the exuberance of youth and will diminsh with time (and success). I'm afraid we're swimming upstream against a new cultural norm here, so my main hope is that nothing stupid is done that ends up costing us a game.
SouthernLion

Next

Return to The Locker Room