It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:00 pm Advanced search

Big 10 Championship in Game

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Big 10 Championship in Game

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 am

Would I have like to seen PSU get into the playoff even if it meant a possible whupping at the hands of Bama - sure. I bet the PSU team would love that longshot at a Championship too. Opportunities like that don't come often in life.

Do I think the it's a disappointment to go to Rose Bowl? Not at all. I would guess seniors on the team who didn't know if they would ever play in a bowl at all sure don't think so and the young players who see this as another step up towards their ultimate goal won't view it that way either. They will already have a chip on their shoulder from not making playoff and you know USC will be their normal arrogant selves and the media in Cali will be falling all over USC. I think the vets on team go in looking for a final validation of what they sacrificed by coming to PSU in light of sanctions and the young guns go looking for respect.
Hungry? - this program has been starving for 4 years and USC is the dessert cart on the all you can buffet that is this season.

And while it's easy to say "if we had just won Pitt" - who knows what would have happened after - maybe they aren't as "back to the walls" and pull out the Minny game. We've all watched Back to the Future - you can't change one event and expect the rest of the events to follow as they did.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:06 pm

I mean, if you are the first team left out of a 64 or 66 team playoff, odds are very long that you were going to win anyway. If you are first out of a 4 or 8 team group, your argument is greater that you have a shot.

That's true, but it's what I meant when I said the definition of "getting screwed" just evolves.

Years ago, a team ranked #5 or #6 in the polls at the end of the regular season had no chance of finishing #1. And I don't recall wailing about them getting screwed. Sure, there was wailing about the order of #1, #2 and even #3, but by the time you got down to #5 and #6, these were teams generally perceived to be a notch below. So they had little/nothing to bitch about. And they got to play on New Year's day and were happy about that. But now, the fans of these teams are PO'd.

We didn't solve a problem, at least not completely. We just created a different one.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:07 pm

I'm also not sure why an 8 team playoff is a panacea. There are going to be teams on the back end who get left out and it won't take long before people are screaming for a 16 game playoff. Again, even with the NCAA Tournament of 64 teams, there are always teams who feel the process was too arbitrary and they should have gone over someone else. There is no magic number that automatically gets it right.

I think 8 teams would suffice. Of course someone will be griping about being left out, but as w/ March Madness, no one will listen when it's that far out on the margin. And the 9th team in cfb is really and truly on the margin - USC? They have no leg to stand on, and I can't see any future 9th team having a gripe that should be taken seriously. This is not to say that I'm a fan of expanding the playoffs...I'm really not. Four is OK, as it amps up the overall interest in late November, which is preferable to losing sleep over the possibility of having to lug the Land Grant Trophy home again.
SouthernLion

Postby pennst92 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:09 pm

Personally, I think the federal government should step in.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby gmay10 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:40 pm

SouthernLion wrote:I'm also not sure why an 8 team playoff is a panacea. There are going to be teams on the back end who get left out and it won't take long before people are screaming for a 16 game playoff. Again, even with the NCAA Tournament of 64 teams, there are always teams who feel the process was too arbitrary and they should have gone over someone else. There is no magic number that automatically gets it right.

I think 8 teams would suffice. Of course someone will be griping about being left out, but as w/ March Madness, no one will listen when it's that far out on the margin. And the 9th team in cfb is really and truly on the margin - USC? They have no leg to stand on, and I can't see any future 9th team having a gripe that should be taken seriously. This is not to say that I'm a fan of expanding the playoffs...I'm really not. Four is OK, as it amps up the overall interest in late November, which is preferable to losing sleep over the possibility of having to lug the Land Grant Trophy home again.

I hate 4 teams because you have 12 asshats deciding on the four teams. What criteria to they use to decide on the 4? We have no fricken clue. I want 8 teams because then we can say without a doubt that if you win your conference championship then you get in. I cannot stand the way it is now. The only reason I am not flipping out is because all four teams only lost 1 game verses ours.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Previous

Return to The Locker Room