It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:03 pm Advanced search

Rose Bowl Pre-Game Week

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Rose Bowl Pre-Game Week

Postby gmay10 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:43 am

I hope Blacknall didn't let the Championship game get to his head! Hopefully this will fire him up for next year
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:42 am

This thought is more random than specific to the Rose Bowl but oh well. I'm tired of hearing about how PSU throws a lot of 50/50 balls. That's really not the case. They are passes where the receiver has to go up and get the ball but many are on the back shoulder or thrown in front on purpose to allow the receiver to make a play. To me, 50/50 infers that Trace is just throwing it up there and completely hoping that one of his guys gets it. Sure that happens sometimes, but there is a strategy to how the play is called and how Trace throws it.
Shore Lion

Postby gmay10 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:42 am

I think if you watch at times Trace is just throwing it up for his WR to go get it. I am not saying he never hits a guy in stride but it seems more often than not, the WR is making an adjustment in order to get the ball. I also think PSU coaches want Trace to throw the deep ball even if it is complete because it keeps the safeties and linebacker a little further away from the line of scrimmage. An incomplete deep ball can do just as much damage as a complete deep ball.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby pennst92 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Watched one of the post game interviews TMac gave - he said the placement of the ball is something they work on, that the route trees they use and the spotting of many of his passes are done with the idea that a: the receiver has the best chance to go get it, and b: that it increases the chance for a pass interference. He added that most covers are adequate or better in coverage, that you don't get guys wide open very often, so they try to up the percentages of blown coverages or defensive penalties by putting the defense back on its heels.

That indicates a subtle strategy within the passing game. Hard to defend when we've got receivers who can change direction and chase down some balls.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to say. Some people keep saying 50/50 balls and it's just not so. Not every pass play has to be designed to hit a guy in stride.
Shore Lion

Postby gmay10 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Can we call it a 60/40 ball? I don't think every pass has to hit a guy in stride but Trace is throwing them up into single and double coverage. Blacknall's TD to start the 3 quarter was against double coverage. Blacknall adjusted and the other 2 DB did not. I love that this team is throwing the deep ball. The other thing is that you have to have good enough WR to get the ball- See the Eagles if you want to see a team where their WR do not get the ball:)
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby underlion » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:49 am

I don't feel optimistic about this game. Maybe remembering the last USA game? Guess I was not optimistic about Iowa, OSU, or Wisconsin either. Hope I am wrong. Losing a LB doesn't help.

USC has a good passing game? We are supposed to have good defensive backs.

We'll see at 4
underlion

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Sorry, this forum is for optimists only! Realism can come back only after the game. :o
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby underlion » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Sorry, I'm sticking with what has worked for me. I was optimistic about Pitt, no more.
underlion

Previous

Return to The Locker Room