It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 7:59 am Advanced search

Rose Bowl Pre-Game Week

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Rose Bowl Pre-Game Week

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:55 am

Just in case you slackers have gotten soft while consuming the likes of eggnog, mince pie, turkey, sausage-of-the-month samplers, too many fingers of scotch, etc., etc., we DO have a game coming up. There is much blocking, tackling, running, throwing, catching, kicking, and yes, holding to be done! I hope everyone's had a very, merry Christmas. But it's time to dig beneath all that wrapping paper and find your shoulder pads. They're in there somewhere. Put 'em on. We need you.

Seems no one in the media (surprise!) thinks we can beat USC. I guess because, well, they're USC and we are only champions of the consensus toughest conference in CFB. I will grant that this being nearly a true home game for SoCal, except for the stadium itself, may be worth 3-5 points, and that the Big 10's history in this game rather sucks. But, in the spirit of our 2016 board MVP, WeAre......WeARE!!

I think we're gonna win.
SouthernLion

Re: Rose Bowl Pre-Game Week

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:33 am

Well let's remember that the media thought (as always) USC was sexy in August while PSU was the ugly duckling. Both teams struggled in September and the USC coach was on the hot seat and people were packing CJF's bags.

And then things got a little better for both programs.

Per normal, every ESPN / media preview I have viewed features commentators gushing over USC's eight game win streak and upset of UW. Trace and Saquon get a little bit of love.
USC has Adoree Jackson - a big time playmaker and guy who can make plays in the return game and much like PSU - a QB who really exploded onto scene as season progressed.

I think people underestimate the number of playmakers PSU has on offense - IMO the best group since 94. Barkley and McSorley get the ink but Gesecki and Godwin are big play guys and if you manage to hold those four in check Hamilton, Blacknall, Robinson, Sanders can make a play. McSorley in particular, but as a team they really improved on TOs as year progressed.
This is the most solid kicking game PSU at PSU in years. Julius knocks 80% of KO into end zone (neutralizing a good returner), Gilliken can change field position and unless you block it, Davis is money.
Defensively I don't think this is a superstar team but every group is solid. They can get pressure with the front four. The LBs have range. The DBs don't give up big plays and safeties provide good run support. About the only thing you would like to see from D would be more TOs.

I also thinks this team still has something to prove. For the senior players who came to PSU thinking they would never play in a bowl game this is the ultimate reward for their faith, work and sacrifice. The younger players see this as a step in the ultimate journey to being a playoff team.
I think you also have a coaching staff that is hitting their stride and approaching the peaks of their careers. Another group with something to prove.

Most importantly - PSU has the power of WeAre - and I have a feeling his heart is in this one.

Anyone know status of who will be available for OL? That's the only worry for me going into game.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:43 am

Anyone know status of who will be available for OL? That's the only worry for me going into game.

I just googled around on the team and can't find anything really current. I agree that the line is the one big worry but it should be the same line, at least, we had against Wisconsin. I haven't watched USC at all this year but I'm picking us to win because we've just kept on winning. This is the year of Penn State football. And, after the Rose Bowl, I'm looking forward to watching Matt McGloin leading the Raiders to the Super Bowl.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psudelco » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:50 pm

Brendan Mahon is out so it'll be McGovern, Gaia, Bates, Gonzalez and Wright. Looking forward to the game and believe in PSU for multiple reasons but none bigger than Trace is a winner. Plenty of playmakers on O and D will need to get pressure on SC but trust that Pry will have them ready.
psudelco

Postby gmay10 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:56 pm

My 3 predictions:
My biggest concern is we continue to have ssssslllllooooowwww starts! We need to come out on fire against USC. Yes, we can score a ton of points late in games but USC has some playmakers that can turn the game on a dime. Whisky really didn't have any huge playmakers. I think the game is going to be decided in the 1st quarter. If we stay within one score in the 1st quarter then we win-
28-24

If USC starts to roll in the beginning, I think we lose a close one because we run out of time- USC 38 PSU 31

Actual prediction: I think we finally come out on fire and win a fairly close game because our defense gets a few turnovers and takes one to the house! The offense sputters at times but Trace throws 2 deep TDs, Barkley hurdles a defender for a TD, and the defense or special teams take one to the house late in the game to give us some breathing room. USC makes it interesting scoring late but can't get the onside kick. Trace kneels for one most compelling seasons in PSU history.
Good Guys- 31
Evil Trojans- 24

LETS GO PENN STATE!!!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:25 am

Well the rumor mill is saying that Blacknall and Bowen are suspended for a violation of team rules. Just can't believe these guys would screw up their chance to play in the Rose Bowl. But kudos to JF is it's true. I think he's shown that nobody is immune to discipline on the team and I'm ok with that.
Shore Lion

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:05 am

Shore Lion wrote:Well the rumor mill is saying that Blacknall and Bowen are suspended for a violation of team rules. Just can't believe these guys would screw up their chance to play in the Rose Bowl. But kudos to JF is it's true. I think he's shown that nobody is immune to discipline on the team and I'm ok with that.

Both hurt (if true), but neither are fatal. We have healthy people who can pick up the slack. Agree, kudos to JF...if you put up with no BS you will receive far less of it in the long run.

Go Lions!
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:06 am

What BS? Do we have any idea what happened?
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:30 am

While we're on the subject, what sadistic bastard invented mincemeat pie? I'm guessing anything that inedible has to be British in origin. Probably the same guy who invented blood (AKA black) pudding.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:32 am

I think Southern was just saying that whatever they did was their own BS. Apparently it's not academic because that hasn't been finalized yet according to some reports I've seen. Bad behavior of some sort I'd imagine.

You know, I remember when I was in high school and we had to sign a "contract" to be a student athlete. Stuff like you couldn't get into fights, show your teachers respect, don't be caught smoking, doing drugs etc. But the part I remember most was one of the coaches saying that those things aren't mistakes, they're choices. You already know if you do them you will get in trouble so if you do so you've made a choice, not a mistake.
Shore Lion

Next

Return to The Locker Room