It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:00 pm Advanced search

Rose Bowl in game thread

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Rose Bowl in game thread

Postby LioninVa » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:56 pm

I haven't read the entire thread, and probably wont, but I think there is some good stuff to consider on these last two pages or so. I was disappointed that we couldn't hold on and win, but am not upset or anything like that. Maybe it is me getting older and not wanting a game to dictate my life, maybe I was happy as the team greatly exceeded expectations, I don't know. It was a great game to watch for sure, but the ending was not exactly desirable.

I am happy for the team and the fans that travel to see the games, as this was a magical season. One game where we failed to show up totally and two that were incredibly close losses for an 11-3 season. Nobody predicted that we would be at this point anytime soon.
LioninVa

Postby PennState03Chris » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Nat@PSU wrote:I've come back down a bit from my hysteria last night but damn, what a gut punch that game was. To score 49 points in a game and be shut out for two quarters is insane.

Maybe I'm being ridiculous but I honestly feel like I'd rather have been blown out from the start than to lose in such heartbreaking fashion. I wanted this win bad. I wanted to be able to shut up all the haters and say yes, this team is one of the hottest in the country and was deserving of a CFP spot. And it seemed like we had it. Then boom. Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Brutal. Absolutely brutal.

To this day, I remember sitting in my aunt's cottage in Mount Gretna in the Fall of 1994, watching the Penn State-Illinois game. My stomach physically hurt from the stress and nerves. Perhaps the best offense of all-time having to come back from 21 down against perhaps the best defense in the nation that year. Gut wrenching. Had a similar feeling watching the 2002 and 2005 PSU-UM games.

I'd take the 2017 Rose Bowl over the 2009 Rose Bowl any day of the week. The former means we are playing with the big boys. The latter means they are on a different level.
PennState03Chris

Postby We Are... » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:04 pm

This is one of the best teams in the country. Last night was tough...very tough but this team hasn't played with a 2 touchdown lead in a long time. It's a different animal...one that they will get used to next season and know how to deal with. They played hard and put up the 2nd most point on USC (outside #1 Alabama) - that is pretty impressive.
This team is going to be a hard team to beat next season and despite the loss, they showed a national audience that they are BACK! USC hung in there and their QB is to be commended - he is going to be something special and I can say the same for McSorely.
I think Barkley is a legitimate Heisman candidate next season - the kid is just getting better and better. Good luck stopping him next season. All in all, this season has been one of the best in recent memory and one that very few saw coming. This team deserves alot of credit for playing every game after the Michigan game...with no thought of losing. Heck, they came seconds away from making that happen 10 times in a row. I'll take the 9 straight wins and a BigTen Championship...and I look forward to Pitt and MeatChicken at home next year and a possible National Title Run!
Congrats all of Nittany Nation - it was one hell of a ride!
There are no excuses except those you make for yourself
We Are...

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:09 pm

I'd take the 2017 Rose Bowl over the 2009 Rose Bowl any day of the week. The former means we are playing with the big boys. The latter means they are on a different level.

That's a good point. While getting blown out may be less frustrating than blowing a game within your grasp, there's no doubt that the game yesterday did not damage their credibility as a Top-10 caliber team. It will be interesting to see where they end up in the rankings. They shouldn't drop far (if at all).
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 pm

I think giving up that many points may hurt us some. But, our D was banged up and missing some key people, and that is a very good offense.

I am excited for next year. It has been a long, long time since we finished a season and I was excited for the season to come. It's a nice feeling. Shame Nat is trying to ruin it for me. Stop it, Nat!
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PennState03Chris » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Blue&White wrote:I think giving up that many points may hurt us some. But, our D was banged up and missing some key people, and that is a very good offense.

I am excited for next year. It has been a long, long time since we finished a season and I was excited for the season to come. It's a nice feeling. Shame Nat is trying to ruin it for me. Stop it, Nat!

Really, when was the last time? I mean, the last time we were preseason Top 5 was 1999. If we aren't preseason Top 5 next year, we'll certainly be Top 10.

One ESPN writer offered rankings after the bowl games, but short of the NC game. He had Alabama 1, Clemson 2, USC 3 and PSU 4.
PennState03Chris

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:21 pm

I think I was excited heading into 2005 because, after so many awful years, that team looked like it had real potential. I don't think I had expectations commiserate with how well that team did, but I think that was a team we were all excited about.

So, 12 years. It's been 12 years since a season ended and I thought "ok, can't wait for next season!". And, even that team didn't have the vibe this team has coming out of the year. And, the program hadn't experienced this type of adversity before. But, the end of the 2004 disaster was the last time I had any feeling of "can't wait for next year" on the last day of the season. Maybe before then it was sometime in the late 90s, maybe the end of the 98 season heading into 99.

A long time. A lot to look forward to and be excited about. And, then there is Nat the Buzzkill raining on the parade.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 am

I'm wondering if a bad batch of eggnog is the reason Nat, usually a voice of reason, became the yin to We Are's yang. But he apparently has stepped back from the bridge rail, and we are all glad he did. :D
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Nat@PSU » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:14 am

I survived. Barely. That game was a roller coaster of emotion. Down early, I told myself to relax and that we are a 2nd half team. Team roared to life in the two middle quarters and I thought, man, what a game, what a team. The 4th quarter collapse gutted me.

That, in combination with the double digit beverages consumed throughout the contest led to a, shall we say, less than rational reaction. It wasn't my proudest moment.

All that said, this one still really bums me out. I'm hoping this type of gut wrenching loss is the kind of motivation that catapults this team to greatness next year, but I'm skeptical. I've been a college football fan long enough to know that if your team isn't Alabama, these types of seasons don't happen all the time and I really thought this team deserved to go out on a high note. There's always next year . . . . (the most depressing line in all of sports).
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this clown.
:May the reign of our Dear Leader be short and inconsequential, much like his fingers."
Nat@PSU

Location: The Dystopia that used to be known as the United States of America

Postby We Are... » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:08 am

We all took this loss as a gut punch...but after reflection and time...I think we all can agree that this team will take that loss and the Pitt loss and the Michigan loss and bank them. Losing like that on a national stage while not great for the record, may actually be a defining moment for some of the players. I think McSorely will take this game as a huge learning tool and you know it will only fuel Barkley's desire to get better. They are just that kind of team - under that kind of coach. Sitting on their lorals is just in the character of this particular program.
I said it earlier, this team needs to learn to finish when they have a lead, something they didn't get much practice at this year. It will come - ALOT - next year. Everyone is right to be enthused about next season - this team has the potential (if healthy) to not only win the BigTen but compete for a National Title - with possibly a top Heisman candidate from the get go.
PSU is not Alabama and they never will be and I think we all like that because we can deal with loss. And when we do loss, it makes us better and we learn from it. This team has scene what it looks like near the top...and they know why they weren't there. It is simply a matter of correcting the issues that stopped you and then moving on.
The mentality of this team and the program is exactly where it needs to be...the cogs are in place and next season we may see this team switch to the next gear.
There are no excuses except those you make for yourself
We Are...

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room