It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:10 pm Advanced search

Rose Bowl in game thread

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Rose Bowl in game thread

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:15 am

I'm really looking forward to kicking Pitt's ass next year. That's all I got.
Shore Lion

Postby shane » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:31 am

Getting Godwin to come back for next year is going to be important, and I don't think he's coming back. I think that game and the way he played will probably send him to the NFL. It's also going to be tough to replace Brandon Bell. We are going to need a couple of younger players to make a jump next year on the defensive side of the ball. We have a tough stretch on Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State next year that will probably define our season (and two of those are on the road). Overall, I think we have potential to be pretty darn good next year, but the schedule is definitely more difficult.
shane

Postby We Are... » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:39 am

Shane, I'll give you that the schedule is more difficult however, this will be a much more defined and polished team. A lot of the things that got us in trouble early this year were and are being corrected. The next man up mantra is already in place and we have seen at PSU it works. Not to mention, we all know about some of the talent coming in and already sitting on the bench. It's going to be a good year to be a PSU fan - when was the last time you heard that in January?
There are no excuses except those you make for yourself
We Are...

Postby LioninVa » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:46 am

For whatever reason, I stayed away from all social media while watching the games this year except for texting my son the scores on occasion. So, I did the same Monday. Call it superstition or habit, it's just what I did. Anyway, I sent him the score at the end of each quarter and at the half he said, "right where we want to be" and "we got this" a little later. Yes, the 4th quarter hurt, and I agree it will provide stimulus for growth over these agonizing non-football months! Sept 9th was circled on the calendars months ago, but it is probably highlighted even more now.
LioninVa

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:15 am

Regarding Godwin - yes, we would definitely miss him if he opts out. But, WR is probably our strongest position overall, very deep/talented. CG's a special player, but I think there's 2-3 guys there are equally special. I'm more excited about the OL than perhaps any other position. Talent, depth and coaching are there in spades...imagine opening real holes for SqB next year. The possibilities are ridiculous.
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:27 am

Given the game he had on a national stage, one where he showed what he can do, I think it's likely Goodwin is gone. He's probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick at this point.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:37 am

I watched some highlights online last night. My God, that long run of Barkley was truly amazing. The speed, power and just his ability to make a cut on a dime are incredible. He might get run down from behind by a really fast DB but one on one nobody is going to tackle him. He makes a move on you and you're toast. The way he splits defenders and just breaks ankles is a thing of beauty. We definitely need to enjoy him next season because he's gone after that.
Shore Lion

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:36 pm

We definitely need to enjoy him next season because he's gone after that.

I remarked to my son after the 79-yarder that I would enjoy that one on youtube for months to come. Barkley's one of the reasons that a last-second loss couldn't dampen the season for me. Having a guy like that on our team for a change is nothing but fun. The fact that he's an upstanding man and not just a D-1A rent-a-knucklehead makes it all the better. I will savor his upcoming last season and pray he stays healthy.
SouthernLion

Postby shane » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:20 pm

By the way, I wanted to point out that I'm not saying we aren't going to be any good next year, we just have the possibility of some holes to fill that will need to be fixed. It's also a very distinct possibility that Sickels and Allen are leaving as well. I do think we've recruited well and hopefully some guys will take a big step next year (like Malik Golden this year).
shane

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:28 pm

shane wrote:By the way, I wanted to point out that I'm not saying we aren't going to be any good next year,

That's what I read. I read you saying we're going to suck next year.

You and Nat are the rain on our parade.

:twisted:
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room