It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 pm Advanced search

Post Mortem: 2016

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Re: Post Mortem: 2016

Postby gmay10 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:53 am

We will never be Alabama- see the 2 videos above why we won't be them. We graduate kids and teach them how to function in the real world. We give them a free education. Most of the kids on the team are not going to the NFL.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:13 am

Nat@PSU wrote:OK, I'll rain on the parade. Name the last time we beat OSU in back to back years? When did we last beat Michigan AND OSU in the same year? Last time we've had back to back league titles?

But, thanks to the playoffs, we don't have to beat both Michigan and OSU. A 1 loss team can make the playoffs. Hell, you don't even need to win your conference. In fact, you are better off NOT winning your division because that means you take more risk playing a championship game. Had OSU taken our division, they may not have beaten Wisconsin in Indiana. The OSU team that showed up to play Clemson didn't look like they would beat Wisconsin.

You're right that there are no guarantees, but the fact is that losing the Rose Bowl like we did really did not make us any worse off than winning it would have. It was, ultimately, a meaningless game. Next year will be what it will be. Any sports fan knows that teams that look, on paper, like they should run the table often underperform and teams that, on paper, look like they will be mediocre sometimes over perform. So, of course there are no guarantees as to what will happen next year. But, there is plenty of cause for optimism.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby gmay10 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:58 am

Blue&White wrote:
Nat@PSU wrote:OK, I'll rain on the parade. Name the last time we beat OSU in back to back years? When did we last beat Michigan AND OSU in the same year? Last time we've had back to back league titles?

But, thanks to the playoffs, we don't have to beat both Michigan and OSU. A 1 loss team can make the playoffs. Hell, you don't even need to win your conference. In fact, you are better off NOT winning your division because that means you take more risk playing a championship game. Had OSU taken our division, they may not have beaten Wisconsin in Indiana. The OSU team that showed up to play Clemson didn't look like they would beat Wisconsin.

You're right that there are no guarantees, but the fact is that losing the Rose Bowl like we did really did not make us any worse off than winning it would have. It was, ultimately, a meaningless game. Next year will be what it will be. Any sports fan knows that teams that look, on paper, like they should run the table often underperform and teams that, on paper, look like they will be mediocre sometimes over perform. So, of course there are no guarantees as to what will happen next year. But, there is plenty of cause for optimism.

BLASPHEMY- the Rose Bowl meant a ton!! We are back in the national spotlight for a good reason!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby pennst92 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:12 pm

I tend to think that the Rose Bowl was important for being a stepping stone into next year. We showed time and again this year that, when healthy, we could play with the best in the conference and win, and we showed in the Rose Bowl that we could go toe to toe with a national power.

And losing sucks. With the leadership on this team, losing to USC could provide extra motivation to work harder than they did this year to reach the next level. Certainly s*** happens and teams often don't reach their full potential...but having an experienced coaching staff and 3 deep roster full of talent gives an edge we haven't had since 2008.

We Are!
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby reincarnatedlama » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Just when I thought I was out ......... they pull me back in!

IMO that was the biggest accomplishment of this year's team. The end of the Paterno Era, STEP program, Sandusky scandal, sanctions making team less competitive left the fan base less emotionally vested in the program. People who never missed a game didn't go to every one, some gave up their season tix, some people attended less game per year. People who normally made it a priority to watch every game found other things to do if it was a nice fall day or PSU was playing a lame opponent or a game PSU was likely to get waxed. People bought less PSU gear. PSU football was no longer a primary hobby.

Well this team put the sizzle back in the steak. They won big games, they played exciting football and with the level of young talent on the team they have a bright future. Even though it was a loss I was so amped up I couldn't fall asleep for several hours after that Rose Bowl - had to take a couple shots of Nyquil.

After the darkest time ever in PSU history they brought back the fun and the sun is once again shining. People care again like they did 10-15 years ago.
reincarnatedlama

Postby NittWit » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:35 pm

The only really scary thing in our near future is that our conference is so stacked (and maybe our defensive front seven). Makes undefeated seasons (for anybody) more or less impossible, particularly in our division. However, we a) have a really fun team to watch finally (this is entertainment after all) and b) we will go into any game with a good chance to win.

For perspective, please go back and read the in-game threads from last year/early this year. This team stunk and was seemingly on the road to nowhere. Franklin was making iffy decisions on the field, our recruiting classes were closing poorly, our defense couldnt make tackles, our offense couldnt move the ball at all, FGs and XPs were being missed everywhere.

Now - big ten champs, an unstoppable offense, good special teams, NFL prospects at key positions, a good 2017 recruiting class that is closing strong and the top ranked 2018 recruiting class in the nation (with BIG TIME stars). I will remember this season for a long-time, and I suspect, as the turning point for our program.
NittWit

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:29 am

The vibe from this team is similar to the one generated by the Mrob-led 2005 squad....with the exception of how their respective bowl games ended. Despite the loss to USC, I'm am thrilled by the the 11-3 season and the prospects for continued success.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Marcus Allen returning for 2017. That's definitely good news.
SouthernLion

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:38 pm

[u]A bit off topic but saw this recently and it relates to comments made previously in this thread:[/u] "If you don't WIN your conference you shouldn't be playing for a National Championship" Urban Meyer, 2006

But "if you don't win your division or conference but pass the look test with a TV commentator you are certain to play for the National Championship" Urban Meyer's hipocrite mental state, 2016.

When OSU fans circle thier arms forming a large O it means Zero.
Carl Spackler

Postby gmay10 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:34 pm

SouthernLion wrote:Marcus Allen returning for 2017. That's definitely good news.

YESS!!! I will say it again just annoy the people on this board- he has to be my favorite PSU player ever! I love the way he plays, but I am sad that the Eagles will not be able to draft him this year.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

PreviousNext

Return to The Locker Room